RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coach Scott Linehan August 20

Head Coach Scott Linehan

August 20, 2008

(Opening remarks)

“Really nothing new to add, (T) Orlando (Pace) again didn’t do much and we kind of did more with (WR) Dante (Hall) but again it is just precautionary. He did not re-injure his shoulder or anything like that, it has just been really sore so we have been really conservative with it this week.”

(On what the problem is in his shoulder)

“It is in his shoulder. It is kind of not really where it was. It is just in there and it has all the strength that it needs to have if we were playing a game he would play it this weekend and we are but I am talking about during the season and right now he is questionable this game for obvious reasons.”

(On how T Adam Goldberg has played in camp so far)

“I think very good. I think you are very accurate in your assessment of that. He is real conformable in that position and he was truly a swing tackle when he fist got here. He played for (Offensive line coach) Steve (Loney) in Minnesota and myself and did a great job at that position and he is able to swing in at guard. He is really in a perfect position for us for a number of reasons right now but really right now with Orlando not getting a lot of work this week, we can get him some good work with the left tackle spot. “

(On CB Fakhir Brown and S Oshiomogho Atogwe injury statuses)

“I think Brown maybe closer than Atogwe, just in my general assessment. I think he has made the most progress. I think OJ is a little tight so it is a little more conservative approach with that. We’ve done a couple MRI’s to follow up on both and they have shown improvement. Done the Cybex test with OJ and he is getting real close. We’re real close and I think both are making the progress that makes me feel better about it that is for sure.”

(On if he is concerned about CB Fakhir Brown’s and S Oshiomogho Atogwe’s availability for Philadelphia)

“No; really not. In a perfect world nobody has any bumps and bruises right now and you know that going into Philadelphia. But right now, our focus is really on the Baltimore game this weekend and the guys that are pretty much full-go for that. Those guys plan is to get them as close to 100 percent even before we start the week. So, it’s not really even so much that game; we’d like to have them close to 100 percent a week before that game.”

(On if he is eager to see what WR Donnie Avery will be like in a game situation)

“Yeah, this will be big for him. He hasn’t been able to play and he could have played probably some the other night. We got him prepared that way and decided not to play him just so that he wouldn’t have a set back. I’d like to see him play probably the most of any receiver this week for sure.”

(On how WR Donnie Avery has been coming back from his injury and missing practice early in camp)

“He’s been good. I don’t think he could help but be a little behind with missing practice, but he’s got a great work ethic and he’s staying in it mentally very good. He’s always one of the first guys at the meeting and last one to leave and works at his game and that will benefit him. We’ve got to accelerate his development here in these next two preseason games.”

(On the improvement of the secondary specifically CB Ron Bartell and S Todd Johnson)

“First of all, Todd has started in this league and has stepped in and played and been very good. And he’s done a great job of doing that; it shows you what a team player he is. He plays on all special teams and the first preseason game I think he played three quarters and started the games so he’s a guy you can count on. He’s certainly one of our better special teams players and now he’s got a lot of really good work starting with the group at safety; real valuable, we can’t have enough guys like him. Bartell, I think he showed his versatility when we first moved him our first year when we started playing him at nickel and he started to really blossom there. And then last year he stepped in and started the first four games at corner when (CB) Fakhir (Brown) was out for the first four games. So again, the value of that versatility you really can’t say enough about. And he’s played well. I think last week, between Ronnie and (CB) Tye (Hill), they played really solid at corner and for him to be able to play there and then give us snaps at safety and do all that, it’s just really, it’s real similar in a lot of ways to Todd in that he can really help you and make plays for you at special teams, but if you call on him to start, he’s really going to play well.”

(On the pace of practice today)

“It was good and we did a lot. We got two-minute work, no-huddle work. We just worked on a lot of phases of the game, just basically getting ourselves ready for things we can do during the season. That was basically what we wanted to get done today. You aren’t really installing, but you are working on phases that if you didn’t have these extra weeks of practice, you wouldn’t be able to work on as you get ready for the opener.”

(On WR Drew Bennett)

“I think his camp has been really good. I don’t think his second preseason game was as good as his first, for sure, but he has been very consistent. I think one thing he has really shown is exceptional effort. He made a number of very, very key blocks in last week’s game. Those guys are really doing a good job on the perimeter of getting on their man so instead of a six to seven yard run, we get that 10, 15, 20 yard run, because you eliminate that safety or corner or whoever it is. That’s where Drew has really, really improved in a lot of ways and I think he is one of those guys we are counting on and has been working very hard and has proven to me that we can count on him.”

(On the battle for third-string quarterback)

“It’s still brewing. It’s going good. They are both performing very well. I thought Brock (Berlin) had a really good effort in the first preseason game and I thought Bruce (Gradkowski) came out and really made a statement in the second one. We’re halfway through the true battle when it comes to games. We have it out here and they are being evaluated in practice, but it’s pretty much been the same kind of case out here as well so I’ll be interested to see how the next two games go.”

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Coach Scott Linehan August 20

I find it rather revealing that when Scoot talks about D. Bennett the best accolade he can give is in regards to his BLOCKING. I'm fairly confident that the Rams did not give this guy $30+ million for his BLOCKING abilities, but rather for his RECEIVING skills. I know I would sure feel better to read about what a quality job Bennett is doing CATCHING the football. Well I can hope can't I?

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I find it rather revealing that when Scoot talks about D. Bennett the best accolade he can give is in regards to his BLOCKING. I'm fairly confident that the Rams did not give this guy $30+ million for his BLOCKING abilities, but rather for his RECEIVING skills. I know I would sure feel better to read about what a quality job Bennett is doing CATCHING the football. Well I can hope can't I?

WHAT SAY YE?
    If Bennett doesn't start the season out looking impressive I say we cut him loose and swallow the losses.

GULP!

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    If Bennett doesn't start the season out looking impressive I say we cut him loose and swallow the losses.

GULP!
    After 1 game..... What exactly would that accomplish??? Hey why not go after Horn and give him a whole bunch of money.

Give the guy a chance if he does not produce then start the next best option and then evaluate the position next year. Just cutting a guy out of spite is not wise.....