RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coach Scott Linehan August 21

Head Coach Scott Linehan

August 21, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

“Good week of practice. We got two days in pads, actually three days in pads; yesterday was half pads, but we got a lot of work in preparing for this game. Then obviously the news yesterday of (RB) Steven (Jackson) coming in was a big part of our week as well. He has signed a six-year deal and that makes him a Ram. We’re good to go. There was never ever, ever a doubt that this wouldn’t get done. The timing now is very good for preparation for the upcoming weeks and the opener. So we got that one out of our way as well, but now our focus will be on the game this Saturday and that’s what we’re all about right now.”

(On if there is a chance RB Steven Jackson will play this Saturday)

“No, I’d say that’s a real long shot. Considering he has not had his shoulder pads on yet, since the last game of the year. There’s a good chance he’s going to get a lot of extra work though in the next upcoming days that’s for sure.”

(On what the plan is to get him ready to play)

“We’ve got a plan to get him extra work. We’ve got to get the physical part; it’s not like you can replace two-a-days, but you can certainly work him physically to where he’s getting himself in shape that way. And he’s got to carry his pads probably a little bit more here even on days when we’re not in pads so we can have him get knocked around a little bit. Then the conditioning part of the game speed, we’ve got to, I don’t know if you call them simulated games like you do in baseball, but some things like that that we’ll plan on doing to get him more reps than he would get than if we just script him in practice when we do practice. So, we have plans to do some extra things with him even when we’re not practicing to get him some extra time on the field.”

(On if the long shot means RB Steven Jackson can play this Saturday if he wants to)

“No. He’s not playing.”

(On what he thinks they can get out of RB Steven Jackson for the first regular season game at Philadelphia)

“We can get a lot out of him. The plan’s really not going to be a whole lot different than it would be without his absence, but we do have, one advantage is that we have a lot of time spent with the entire group of running backs. They have given us a very quality camp and improved and we feel very, very confident about them being able to, at times, play. Whether that means a series or situations; that we have not determined yet, but all those things would be considered leading up to that game.”

(On if it was a relief to see RB Steven Jackson back at practice)

“Everybody keeps talking about relief, I’m very happy that it’s over and that we can put this behind us a few days from now. The whole focus is going to be on what happens in the game Saturday night and getting ready for Kansas City on Thursday and as you do all of this, getting ready for Philly in the opener. We don’t have to have that part hanging out there or looming out there. It gives us more time than if it had gone another three, four days because there’s a lot of stuff we can get done with Steven leading up till then. He will get plenty of extra work and we’ve got a plan for that. I’m very happy it happened now and it wasn’t any later.”

(On how RB Steven Jackson looked today)

“Oh, he was real slow and real fat. No, he looked great; looked like Steven. He had the freshest legs out here; promise you. But, he’s been working hard and is in very good shape. He’s ready.”

(On if players will come out to help simulate or just coaches)

“It’s really; you can’t simulate the game. It’s more of the conditioning factor of starting and stopping and getting in the huddle and doing all that. You can run 100-yard dashes all day, but he’s got to do some of that. You really can’t replace it, but you can certainly bring him along. Even on gamedays like Saturday night, like I said he’s probably not playing, but we’ve got to give him a good workout so we can prepare for the game. He’s going to suit up and get himself really good work even in pregame.”

(On if RB Steven Jackson will be here working on Sunday as well)

“Probably; I don’t know. I haven’t got my Steven Jackson calendar to give you guys right now, but they’ll have it here for Saturday.”

(On if RB Steven Jackson will play in the Governor’s Cup preseason game at Kansas City)

“We haven’t decided because we’re playing Baltimore this week that’s the next game we got on our schedule; let me check, Baltimore, that’s the one we’re on. Governor’s Cup will be here when that one’s over.”

(On how divided the playing time will be between starters and backups this week)

“It will be pretty similar to last week. Coaches don’t even know how many plays the starters are playing. So we need to get some significant work this week again and continue to improve what we’re trying to get done.”

(On if he gave RB Steven Jackson a hug last night when he saw him)

“I didn’t see him till this morning. Yeah a big hug and I asked him for a loan. It was great to see him. Again, the timing is great to have him here; I know the team is really glad to have him here and the coaches and everybody in the organization. I really have to thank ownership in this. (President of Football Operations/General Manger) Jay (Zygmunt) did a great job as well as (President) John (Shaw), but (Owner/Chairman) Chip and (Owner/Partner) Lucia (Rodriguez) and (Owner/Vice Chairman) Stan (Kroenke). This is a first rate organization to be able to step up for these players. I think these players really appreciate that. Since I’ve been here, we’ve really made a great effort to keep the players that we feel can take us to the next level around here. My hats off, obviously to Steven for getting here, but really to our ownership for really stepping up to the plate on this stuff.”

(On if during the holdout he ever wanted to lash out about RB Steven Jackson’s holdout)

“No. I think that’s something I’ve learned. I am an Irishman so I tend to have a little bit of a quick temper, some of you guys don’t know that, I keep it under control. But, in business and this game, I’ve seen it happen and I’ve talked to other coaches and really there’s no upside to being adversarial in these kinds of deals. You just have to stay positive; you’ve got to focus on who is here and have the trust and faith in the people that are working on getting everything done and that’s Steven and his representative and our ownership and Jay and John. It never once felt like it wasn’t going to get done and get done in time and it’s all behind us now.”

(On what he wants to get out of the game this Saturday)

“I hate to sound redundant, but very similar improvements. Certainly like to be more productive when it comes to the offense in improvement with points on the board. Again, we’re playing another top five defense, so the challenge is great. We played really three very excellent defenses in these first three games and they’re all different. Here’s a defense real similar to the one we employ. We get a lot of that work through training camp and working against each other, but now we get to see how we handle a lot of the confusion and things like that that Baltimore presents for you. Just picking up the momentum defensively that we got by going out there and making some key stops; playing together as a unit. Obviously keeping them out of the end zone was big a week ago. To be really good, you’ve got to continue to do that each week and I’d like to see us keep the score down. Obviously, the rushing thing got better, but bottom line is there’s four points against us in this league and I’d like to see us continue to improve in both areas as far as being consistent. The special teams area, probably looking at some guys in this game more that are going to make this team basically on special teams. You see a lot of guys and if they can excel in certain areas that may be the difference for a 53-man roster and this game and the next game are certainly a big part of that.”

(On WR Torry Holt’s status for the game)

“He should play. I think he is much improved since a week ago.”

(On T Orlando Pace’s status)

“He is still questionable. He did some today though; I haven’t decided what we are going to do. He felt much better yesterday and today and so I think there is a good chance he could play but we haven’t decided yet though.”

(On the expectations of WR Donnie Avery in Saturday’s game)

“It has been awhile. He started to make a come back last week and we considered playing him some but we felt that if we could play him a little more this game and probably more snaps than the other guys it would be good especially. This week and next week is big for him.

(On if Avery will play on special teams)

“If we do it would be as a returner.”

(On the roster move since Steven Jackson is back)

“(T) (Mark) Setterstrom will be placed on injured/reserve. First of all he will show up as a waived injury player but we want to get him on injured/reserve so he won’t count against the 80. He has to go through waivers.”

(On if Setterstrom could be signed by another team)

“It is not normal when you have an injury. When you have an injury the risk is low. I certainly would not want to loose him but I think at this point the risk is low. So we will see and once he clears we will get him on IR.”

(On the value of (T) John Greco with the injuries to the offensive line)

“He is a pretty good player. He was the highest player on our board at the time so that all factored in.”

(On why he did not wait until Sunday to put Setterstrom on IR)

“Steven is here so we have some light spots that put us in a tough spot here this week because we have some guys who are not playing.”

(On if this upcoming game is the last dress rehearsal for the starters)

“Pretty much. We haven’t decided how we are going to play the last game but this is a big game as far as the significant amount of snaps they will get in the game. They have played quite a bit more to this point than they had in the previous preseason.”

(On the playing time for the third QB position)

“Don’t know yet. Don’t want to give Baltimore too much information.”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Coach Scott Linehan August 21

Don't want to give Baltimore to much information? I hope he was joking.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

(On if the long shot means RB Steven Jackson can play this Saturday if he wants to)

“No. He’s not playing.”

(On how RB Steven Jackson looked today)

“Oh, he was real slow and real fat. No, he looked great; looked like Steven. He had the freshest legs out here; promise you. But, he’s been working hard and is in very good shape. He’s ready.”

Lol good to know Linehan has a sense of humour

rNemesis is offline Registered User

My opinion of Scott Linehan since he has coached this team has not been a very optimistic one. The guy seems to care a lot, but his efforts and actions dont show for it. I'll tell you one thing: We all know that in the sports world (ESPECIALLY the NFL) if you dont perform you are out the window to be replaced, so Scott Linehan, a word to the wise is sufficient. This is his 3rd season I think, and none have been winning ones. I am a diehard STL fan ( not Cardinals or blues either) and I have not been used to seeing my team win since 2004. There are only two weeks left before the season starts. If he wants to keep his job, he better start finding ways to win!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Good news about Torry Holt. Glad to see he's recovering well.

RANDYRAM Guest

How come they didn't ask him if the he was going leave Bulger in until he got a TD??

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    How come they didn't ask him if the he was going leave Bulger in until he got a TD??
    Maybe because he doesn't think its as big a deal as every man and his dog seems to.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I want two things from this game.

With Holt and Avery on the field. I expect Bulger to throw a touchdown (more would be nice).

And the defense contains the offense again. We need to improve on what we had last week.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Holt and Avery on the field.
    Kinda sends chills all over your body. This can be an exciting duo!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8