Head Coach Scott Linehan

December, 1, 2006

(Opening Statement and injury report)

“Everything is set; I don’t think there are any changes on our injury report. Nobody got any worse and the same guys are still out and I think that everybody we expect will be up.”

(On Cardinals RB Edgerrin James not getting many carries in last week’s game)

“I think they’ve been in some of those weird games like we were in a couple of weeks ago. I think they certainly intended on running more last week. I know it looked like they checked out of a lot of runs and got behind. Not many teams have run the ball very well against Minnesota, so they went with the same plan a lot of people had been doing and threw the ball. He’s still very dangerous and he got into a pretty decent rhythm and ran the ball pretty well against us last time, so that’s really what we’re looking at.”

(On G Adam Timmerman’s status)

“I think he’s fine. I don’t think he feels any different than he did last week. I think yesterday’s day off helped him. He’s beat up a little bit, so he’s just going to have to get as well as he can and get as many snaps as he can on Sunday.”

(On Adam Goldberg’s performance in last week’s game)

“He played a long series and played well. That’s the natural spot for him on the right side. He’s played that primarily and most of his time was at right guard and tackle, so he looked very comfortable there when he played.”

(On WR Willie Ponder returning kicks on Sunday)

“Right now that’s the plan, to have him up and return unless something happens between now and Sunday as far as our depth. But I’d like to have him up.”

(On University of Minnesota basketball coach Dan Monson’s resignation)

“I did talk to him last night. I’m as always disappointed for anybody in this profession because I know how much time and energy people put into it. But sometimes things don’t work out. He did it right there. He went in and took over a program that was decimated by scandal and losing scholarships. He lost his two or three best players after their sophomore years and one after his freshman year. He had a hard road, but he battled and he’ll land on his feet. I told him just to be proud every time he sees the Gonzaga team playing well because he was the person that set that up. He’ll land on his feet and do a great job for whoever hires him.”

(On his team’s readiness for Sunday’s game)

“I think it’s very good. We’re certainly building off the momentum that we gained from the game last week, we’re excited to play at home again, and it’s certainly a big division game. There’s kind of a new life and new energy around here, so I’d be surprised if we didn’t play well on Sunday.”

(On postponing LB Isaiah Kacyvenski’s evaluation)

“We planned on doing it today, but the problem is that they don’t feel that it’s necessary because we’re not playing him this week to do it until he feels 100 percent better. I know he feels better, but it’ll be something that we do the first part of next week. We’re not sure if we can anything done today because of the weather, so we just put it off until Monday.”

(On how no longer calling the plays has impacted his involvement with the team)

“It doesn’t necessarily free me up; it just gives me more time to concentrate on all three phases. I’m still very involved in the offense as far as evaluating what we’re doing and putting together a plan for each series. It definitely has me more locked into some of the other areas as far as what’s going on in the game and managing certain situations in the game.”

(On his in-week routine possibly changing because he relinquished his play calling duties to offensive coordinator Greg Olson)

“It hasn’t changed at all. I don’t know what I would do. I’d get bored if I didn’t spend all of my time doing that anyway. It does give me a chance to spend time with Jim (Haslett) and Bob (Ligashesky) and have a better feel of what we’re going to do and the adjustments we may make if they change up some of the things they’re doing.”

(On facing Arizona’s left-handed QB Matt Leinart)

“I don’t think a whole lot. It does change as far as his back side and things like that, but it doesn’t really change how we defend him.”

DT La’Roi Glover

(On how RB Edgerrin James comes up with such large numbers with very few carries)

“I really don’t know, to be quite honest with you. I really don’t know. Hopefully, come Sunday, we can have some success, not only against him, but against their team.”

(On the feeling of coming off a win)

“This lets us know that we’re in control of our destiny. If we play good ball, if we don’t make the mistakes, if we do our job, we can have success. We’re still in the picture, so that’s all you can ask for.”

(On playing a 2-9 Cardinals team)

“It’s an old saying, ‘You don’t want to fall into the trap.’ You see their record and all that type of stuff, it doesn’t matter. Every team in this NFL is a good ball club, and if you slip up, or you look at their record too much, they’ll come in and kick your butt. They’re a worthy opponent, and we just have to go out and play our solid football.”

(On expecting to see a difference with a new Cardinals’ quarterback)

“A little different, but nothing out of the ordinary or anything like that. They’ll want to scramble a different way. They’ll want to move around the pocket a certain way. But other than that, no.”

WR Torry Holt

(On how he handles not going over 100 yards for the past five games)

“I just continue to play. I try to continue to stay within the scheme of the offense and what we’re trying to get done offensively. When my number’s called, I just try to make my plays. We’ve had some opportunities over some games to capitalize on some big plays and we haven’t been able to do that. In the past we have. To answer your question, I just try to stay positive, try to stay poised, try to give my input to the coaches on how I can get open, how they can get me the ball, and just play.”

(On getting a lot attention in terms of coverage)

“I’m getting my fair share of attention in coverage. Teams are rolling to me sometimes. San Francisco had a guy over me, a guy behind me, and then another guy behind that guy. Some double teams, some two-man type stuff. I’ve been able to beat those coverages, but with what coach is trying to get done offensively, we’re not going to force anything. We’re going to take what they give us. If they drop out real deep, check the ball out to Steven (Jackson). Steven’s been doing a fantastic job in open field after the catch. Isaac’s (Bruce) been coming up big and making great grabs. It’s just been some situations where it hasn’t been there for me, and I understand that. I’m just trying to keep my frustration down as much as I possibly can and just try to play.”

(On being able to help the team)

“I’m going to live and die by that. The more than can use me, the more I feel like we can have that much success as an offense and as a football team. As these last five seasons ended, hopefully they will continue to try to get me involved as much as they can so I can make those plays and try to help us win these ball games as we go down the stretch to try to make our push for the playoffs.”

(On telling the coaches that he can help the team if he gets the ball)

“I don’t really have to say anything. I think enough has been written. I think enough has been said. They know that. By watching film, they know they have to try and find some way to get me involved, and I think they’ve done that. They’ve done that this week. It’s just a matter if we can execute the game plan and I can get open and come up with the catches and make things happen.”

(On feeling the frustration)

“I’ve been frustrated several times, but at the same time, I have to kind of refocus and get back to what’s important, and that’s trying to help our football team win. Let that frustration pass, and just try to go out there and help as much as I possibly can.”

(On neutralizing S Adrian Wilson for the second time)

“We try to do the same thing. We try to give it some different looks. Try to do some formation things and maybe put him away from what we’re trying to do. Then, get up on him. Block him. As an offensive line, we have to get up on him and block him, and as receivers, we have to get downfield and block this guy. He’s definitely their field general. He’s everywhere on the football field. He’s going to challenge us for four quarters. We’ve got to be ready to stand up to his challenge for four quarters and try to keep him contained.”

(On the Cardinals keeping Wilson in the box)

“His thing is to be down…they want to get him down into the box and get him involved. They want to blitz him. They want to have him involved in the running game, and he’s terrific at that. I think again this year he’s playing at a Pro Bowl level, so my offensive linemen, our running backs, as well as the receivers, we have to know where he is on the football field, point him out, make sure everyone’s aware of where he is, and get on him and try to stop him as much as we can from making too many plays.”

(On the difficulty to double team him if they’re playing only one safety)

“I’m hoping we continue to run the ball the way that we’ve been running the ball, and cover to get them to roll down, give us an eight-man box. Then we’ve got one-on-one’s on our side with myself and Isaac. Now Marc (Bulger) has a choice to pick whoever he wants to go. I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed that that’s the way that they play it this week, so I can get an opportunity to maybe get 100 yards, and become a receiver.”

(On the win being a weight off the team’s shoulders)

“That was big. That was fantastic, because we needed that. We were in dire need of a win. For us to go out there and play the way we played; we played hard, and we were able to get out of there with a win against a conference opponent, was absolutely fantastic. So hopefully we can build on that. We’ll see…how we play in this game against Arizona, we will see what momentum we have gained off that game from last week, depending on how well we play this week against Arizona.”

(On close games)
“There’s real tight games, and a lot of people say ‘Arizona’s 2-9.’ They’ve got a lot to play for. I think they have a prideful coach. They’re going to come in. They’re going to throw everything they have at us. For whatever reason, they always seem to play us tougher from what I think how they play any other team. They always play us real tough. I really feel deep down inside that they can come in here and beat us and dominate us, so this football team has to be ready for a very physical, good game against a good Arizona football team.”

(On the win over Arizona earlier in the year on the road)

“That was crazy. I hope we don’t have another one like that this week. That about drove me crazy. About drove this football team crazy. If we protect the ball and do what we need to do and execute, we should be fine. We know we have to play better this week here than how we played out there if we want to win this ball game.”