RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coach Scott Linehan Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Head Coach Scott Linehan

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

(Opening statement)
    “The injury report is quite a bit more extensive this week than any other week. You all know Victor’s (Adeyanju) out probably the next two to three games, at the soonest, the second to last game he might have a chance to be up. Isaiah’s (Kacyvenski) out. We’ll evaluate him at the end of the week, and see his status for the next games coming up. Richie Incognito’s foot is actually nothing that showed up on the MRI, so it’s kind of a pain tolerance thing. He should be fine. Had actually very little problem with it in practice today. Marc Bulger’s got some ribs, but once he gets loosened up he’s fine. Paul Smith looked pretty good today with his hamstring, so he looks like he has a real good chance to be up. We’re a little more banged up than we’ve been. Had to limit a number of players today in practice at times so we can get the good guys through the game on Sunday. Got to manage that. That time of year.”

(On CB Tye Hill’s condition)

“Tye felt better today than he felt last Wednesday. We rotated his reps a little bit more than we did last Wednesday too, but he felt better than he did last Wednesday. It was never to a point where he couldn’t practice last week, he just never really got any better, and by Friday, it actually was starting to feel worse. Hopefully we can get through the week with a modified workload this week.”

(On where LB Jamal Brooks fits in)

“Right now he’s factored right in with the loss of Isaiah at this point. It made all the sense in the world to have him in special teams, and plus, he’s our backup “mike” linebacker now.”

(On how Kacyvenski will be evaluated)

“There’s just a psych testing, just to see that it’s all normal.”

(On what’s considered “normal”)

“I think there’s just normal levels, and there’s levels of concern. Not being a neurologist or any of that, I think it’s just if there’s anything abnormal, they want to make sure that it shows up more than just a couple days after the injury. He’s had a couple now, so we’re going to take it pretty slow.”

(On how long Kacyvenski will be out)

“It’s hard to predict when someone’s able to come back from having more than one concussion. We’ll take it very slow. There’s really no way to predict how soon he’ll be back to 100 percent.”

(On testing Kacyvenski)

“When you have one, you just have to keep track of it. If you don’t have a repeat, then it seems to be the best way to keep an eye on those. If you have another incident, now you start doing these testing…with Orlando’s (Pace) case, his was so severe, his symptoms were so severe afterwards, with the headaches and sleeplessness and all that stuff, that it got probably a little bit more after he played in the Arizona game last time. I think now it’s just a matter of testing him until everything comes out normal. Until we do it, there’s really nothing to report.”

(On making sure a player is really ready to play after a serious concussion)

“The trainers and the doctors and the player are all part of that. It’s not so much sucking it up. If you have one, there’s a good chance you won’t have another one, but if you do, then it becomes a serious medical concern. With the way these guys get into these collisions that they have, it’s a wonder to me why there aren’t more of them. I think the equipment’s a lot better now, and I think guys are able to avoid a lot of that, but in Kacyvenski’s case, the guy actually ran into him. He made a very good tackle. They actually had kind of a freakish head-to-head contact. There’s nothing you can do other than make sure the person’s reactions are 100 percent, and that everything’s normal. That’s why you’ve got to be real slow because you don’t know. Some people react differently than others. We’ll be conservative, that’s for sure.”

(On signing T Jeremy Parquet)

“He has all the physical characteristics that you’re looking for in a tackle. Very long arms, has a good anchor. He worked out very well for us. A year ago, he was active as a seventh round pick at Kansas City, and for whatever reason, didn’t make it through this last cut this time. He’s a young player that really hasn’t been able to, for whatever reason, get on the field. We’d certainly like to work and develop a guy that has those kinds of characteristics that you’re looking for in a tackle. That’s our biggest need in the front right now with the loss of Orlando.”

(On simplifying the offense)

“Every game’s different. Some games we’ve gone into games with really only three or four. I think we’ve modified the number somewhat, but you still have to be able to run your offense and you can’t take things out unless it doesn’t benefit you. You don’t want to increase the work load when you have a young line. It really is more specific to the game you’re playing, the front you’re playing, and those kinds of things. We’ve tried to narrow it down somewhat for him.”

(On QB Marc Bulger’s ability to remain calm)

“I really never see Marc rattled. That’s not his personality or his temperament. I think that’s what makes him as good as he is. Part of his make-up that I think helps us to overcome maybe a four point deficit with 80-yards to go, or whatever it is. He has that kind of demeanor. I don’t compare players. I try to specifically talk about what the player, himself, brings to the table. Marc brings…he just brings calmness. I think that’s one of the great traits of a quarterback. Some guys are fiery, some guys wear their emotions on their sleeve, they do those kinds of things. Marc just brings, like I said, a security blanket to the rest of the group that as bad as things may seem, or as good as things may seem, he stays the same. I think that creates a lot of consistency with his performance. Not a lot of quarterbacks have that. It’s tough for people to remain that way because it’s such a physical, emotional game. He maintains that almost all the time.”

(On being worried when Bulger was down on the field after being hit)

“He’s not the type to…he always gets up. I haven’t seen any difference. I knew he got hit pretty good there. I knew he got hit in the midsection. You know he’s hurt. If he’s lying on the ground, you know there’s something wrong. I think it hurt pretty good, but I think more of it was his wind was knocked out, and he wasn’t able to catch his breath. If you’ve ever had that done to you, you can’t move. It paralyzes you, basically, until you get that wind back in your lungs. That’s what happened there. I was concerned that it was something more serious at the time to be honest with you.”

(On learning things about Bulger throughout the season)

“I learn things about him daily. I think the thing that has been real beneficial is Marc, he really has a lot of really good instinctive ideas as to how he sees the game. Has good thoughts during the game as to ‘Okay, this is the adjustment we’re going to make. This is the reason we’re running this. We’d like to run this route combination.’ He’s very knowledgeable of what we’re trying to do and he can make an adjustment within a drive, I guess is my point. He may say ‘We’re getting this coverage and look to this route combination,’ where some guys need to have it spelled out and drawn up. He visualizes things and understands things. You tell him verbally, and he can picture it, which is really a gift actually. Some guys really have to have it drawn out, and then they need to walk through it. Marc understands football very, very well.”

(On DE Brandon Green)

“Brandon plays, as we always say, with a great motor. Has great energy. Makes up for maybe his lack in side or speed, or any of those things, with the intangible quality of always playing full speed. He’s hard to block because of that. He doesn’t always match up as good as maybe a prototype defensive end, but he always creates an advantage for himself by staying after guys with great technique, and plays through the whistle. Never takes a play off. Also, I think that kind of thing is what we need. We need a little bit of an energizer out there when it comes to how they play. Not so much what they bring to the table physically, but what he can bring to the table with his effort, as well as his physical skills. He has physical skills, but he ads to the part of the game that you can’t really put down on a measurable. That’s just a lot of heart. That’s what we’re going to need down the stretch. Guys playing the way Brandon plays.”

(On if T Claude Wroten could fill in at the end spot)

“Wroten’s getting some work in. He’s been a tackle primarily, but he’s done pass rush things from the end spot. If we had this injury earlier, we probably would have moved Wroten back out, if we had lost an end early in the year. That was always a contingency plan. You’ll see Claude playing both inside and outside at end this week.”

(On the injuries to the offensive line)

“Really, going maybe even into offseason, when we put up our depth chart as our offensive line we had, of course, Andy (McCollum) was our center. Claude Terrell was one of the guards. Timmerman was the other guard. Pace was the left tackle. We have (Alex) Barron at right tackle. So really if you look at it, we’re playing…the only one left is Barron. That happens. I think injuries happen, but it’s been pretty much the bugs hit our offensive line as much as anywhere. I think Paul (Boudreau) and the offensive staff and the O-line have done a great job hanging in there and just working with different rotations, and trying to find the best mix. We didn’t have a very good day two weeks ago, but I think we made some nice adjustments in having a couple youngsters come in, and play, and play well, was a good sign for their attitude and sticking with it. It’s been interesting. I haven’t had offensive line injuries that I’ve been a part of like we’ve had here.”

(On grading the offensive linemen)

“It’s different. Everybody has a different scale. You basically grade it on whether you successfully completed the play technique-wise, and assignment-wise, and alignment, and things like that. You don’t come out with a number or percentage like you would…everybody has a different scale for what’s a winning percentage. The offensive line gets graded pretty heavily because there’s a lot of technique involved. Grading systems are a little bit overrated. You’ve got to play…some guys may not grade well in technique, but they make up for it in their effort, and their size, or whatever. When you do grade it, it is an indication of how well prepared you are, and knowing what you’re doing, and being comfortable with what you’re doing. That’s kind of how we do it.”

(On WR Torry Holt being disappointed with his low numbers)

“I’d be disappointed if he didn’t get frustrated because it would show a lack of competitiveness. I think great competitors get pretty ticked off if you miss a chance on a shot down the field, or a chance for a big play. It’s not because he wants big numbers, it’s because he wants to win, and he knows that play would have had a big impact on the game. I don’t get concerned about the frustration part. I think the thing is we’ve just got to keep working hard at ways to improve it, and not let it get to you. We’ve got to adjust to the fact that basically people are making sure he doesn’t get the ball. You’ve got to give him credit for that, but we also have to take responsibility for finding ways to get it done because his impact is going to be really important in our opportunities to win these games down the stretch. He’s a great player, and he’ll keep continuing to work hard. He’s got great character. He just works as hard as he can every day. He doesn’t complain, which is really hard to do. It’s really the exception, not the norm anymore. We’ve got to keep working to give him the ball.”

(On the game winning drive against the ***** being a “turnaround” point for the team)

“I always think plays, or drives, can be used as momentum. You’ve got to use things to your benefit. That was a great test, because all indications were we weren’t going to pass that test, based on them driving the ball with the lead, and having fairly good success doing it. Had they scored, there’s a pretty good chance it’s going to be hard for us to come away with a win there. It was a combination of the defense stopping them when they had to, and the offense going out, basically doing very little in the second half, and putting the best drive of the season, in my opinion, when they had to. I think you can use plays, or moments, or games like that as springboards for momentum because that’s the way this league is, and that’s the way this game is.”

(On the playoffs)

“The reality is we’re right in the hunt. It’s why we’re playing. We’ve got to focus on this game. Without this game, it becomes a lot less possible. Yeah, it’s the carrot that’s dangling out there in front of us. It’s what we’re fighting for right now. It’s that time of year where we’re not playing for pride, we’re not playing for respect or any of that, we’re playing for putting ourselves in position to go to the second season. That’s why we’re all in it, so it is big.”

(On CB Tye Hill’s progress throughout the season)

“The thing about it that’s different from where Tye was maybe the last time we played them (Arizona), is he has a lot more confidence. He feels much more confident in his ability to play with the big boys. He stepped right up to the challenge, I thought, two weeks ago against arguably the best receiver, maybe the best player in the NFC, two weeks ago. I think he was pretty enamored with playing in the NFL, but once we started the games, he doesn’t back down to the challenge. He knows he’ll get tested based on being a rookie, not being 6’2”, or whatever. He has a lot of other things that he brings to the table. One of the things that he’s done that I’ve noticed, is he brings, for a small package, he brings a lot of physical play. He plays physical. He doesn’t back down. I don’t know if you remember, the last time we played Arizona, he came across on a crossing route on one of those guys and tackled him, and never backed down. You’ll see a lot of other guys turn those guys down across the middle. He’s grown up before our eyes.”

(On the team signing a contract)

“That’s kind of one of those deals where you sign it. It’s kind of a commitment that we’re going to keep hammering away. It’s something that coach Ligashesky used with the special teams, and we just put it up there last week. We said we’ve got to work hard if we’re going to get out of this hole, so the guys signed it. It’s kind of one of those things.”

(On the Arizona Cardinals)

“They went through some things too. They went through some things too. They went through injuries. (WR Larry) Fitzgerald was out for a bit. They changed up some guys in their lineup some. Making some adjustments. They lost a pretty good player, defensive end, a few weeks ago, so they’re going through some of those things like we are. A couple of the last games, they’ve come out and really competed. Have been in position to win games. Were down a few scores last week and they fought back. They’re one of those kinds of teams that they’re scary to play because they’ve got some unbelievable weapons on both sides of the ball. Their special teams is probably one of the areas that’s not getting much attention, but last week, their special team was pretty dominant. We’re playing them at a pretty dangerous time to play a team like them because they’re starting to hit a little bit of a confidence level. Their young quarterback, he looks pretty comfortable in their system now. Throw records out. It’s going to be one of those kinds of games. Big division game. They’ll be ready to play, I promise you.

(On if WR Willie Ponder will be active on Sunday)

“Hopefully he can be up. Our plan is that he’ll be up, if something doesn’t happen. We’ve got a few scenarios that could happen before the end of the week, but it’s a positive report right now that he should be able to help us this week.”

QB Marc Bulger

(On the final drive against San Francisco giving the team momentum for the rest of the season)

“Obviously in the Seattle game, we scored, but it wasn’t enough. You never know when things like that can change a season. It was only one game and we know that there are five games left and we’re still under .500, so we have a long way to go.”

(On what he was trying to do on the last drive against San Francisco)

“I just try to stay consistent throughout a game. Like I said going into it, I didn’t want to try to get it all at once. I just kept checking the ball down and Steven (Jackson) did a good job. We’ve been there before, so it wasn’t the first time that I had to do that with those guys.”

(On the offensive line’s performance against the *****)

“It’s tough and they’re doing a good job. But you’re on your third center during the game, you’re starting a rookie at left guard, and our tackle is out of position. There are certainly things they’re not going to do as well, but to be playing out of position and being a rookie playing there, I think they’re doing an exceptional job.”

(On if he thinks that WR Torry Holt is frustrated that he’s not getting enough passes thrown in his direction)

“No one in here is really that selfish of a player. I know that he knows that he can definitely make more plays and we want to find ways to get him the ball, but I think that’s part of him being as good as he is; he’s going to get doubled a lot. One game it worked a few weeks ago when they kept everything in front of him and like I said after the game, it’s a copycat league and everyone sees on film that one team was able to contain him by doubling him and playing over the top. We’ll get our chances eventually because he’s too good of a player. I get frustrated some times because I want to throw the ball down the field more and I’m sure he wants the ball more. I’m sure that since we won, it’s a lot easier this week than it was last week.”

(On what teams are doing to try to limit Holt’s production)

“Not necessarily figuring out because a lot of teams will double guys like (Randy) Moss and Torry (Holt). Just the concept of playing really deep and making you check it down. Last week they buzzed a guy on the first interception. Anyway they can get two guys on him they try to do. Not that they haven’t been doing that his whole career, but he’s that good and has been able to overcome it. There are definitely dry spurts when you’re going to have something like that happen.”

(On the interception by ***** LB Manny Lawson)

“We had known that he was going to do it during the week, but we really didn’t think he was going to be able to beat the ball there. When I threw it he wasn’t facing me, so I figured he was just going to spring to Torry (Holt) and it was just going to go by his ear hole, but sometimes guys in this league make great plays. I wish I could have it back, but he made a nice play on the ball.”

DE Brandon Green

(On his participation in last week’s game helping him prepare for starting this week)

“As long as you know what you’re doing in the defense and you know what position you’re playing and what’s happening around you, you get a chance to go in there and play fast, which is what we’re trying to do.”

(On Cardinals RB Edgerrin James)

“I know he (Edgerrin James) can run the ball, so I don’t think you take him lightly at all. He’s a heck of a running back and I played against him for years, so I know what he can bring to the table.”

(On not taking the Cardinals lightly)

“It’s a test. A lot of people can say one team does something well or not, but every team in this league is good and has good players, so it’s always a challenge when you go out there.”

(On being confident that the Rams defense will play well this weekend.)
    “When you go out there play hard and do your job, you think you can shut everybody down and that’s what we’re looking to do.”

(On Arizona QB Matt Leinart)

“He’s coming from a different side as a left handed quarterback and they normally want to move to your right and their left a lot more, so that’s one thing you just have to be careful of. It changes a lot because you know he can see you in your rush so you have to just control the edge.”

(On going up against the size of Arizona’s offensive line)

“When you’re a guy like me, everybody you go against is bigger than you are, so you have to play the same way pretty much every week.”

(On going up against Cardinals T Leonard Davis)

“It’s always a challenge, that’s for sure. I played against him my freshman year of college, so we’ve seen each other quite a few times.”

C Richie Incognito

(On how his foot feels today)

“It feels good and everything checked out fine and it felt good at practice today.”

(On when he injured his foot)

“The first time it got rolled on and the second time I got rolled up in a pile and it got twisted in the pile somehow.”

(On the offensive line’s performance in last Sunday’s game)

“It came together very well. We had a couple of guys hurt, Orlando is still out, I went down, and we plugged guys in and they played very well. Brett (Romberg) played well and Mark (Setterstrom) had an excellent first game and we just kind of rolled along being very physical with them. It was good to see.

(On how he feels about the offensive line shuffling for the San Francisco game)

“It was just one of those weeks where we had a lot of guys go down. During the course of the game you can’t get caught up in that, you kind of just replace them, get the guy up to speed on what they’re doing, and hopefully things work out well, which they did.”

(On working alongside different offensive linemen throughout the course of a game)

“You get caught up in the game and they plug another guy in there and we get a lot of reps with a lot of different looks and a lot of different groups in practice, so by the time they plug them into the game, we’ve already worked with them before, so it’s not really a big deal.”

(On how things can dramatically change each week in the NFL playoff picture)

“Now we’re right back in the thick of things. That’s just how it goes in this business. One week you’re out of it and the next week you right in the middle of it. If we keep playing well, we’ll take care of it.”

(On how the members offensive line work with each other)

“I think we lean on one another. We’re communicating back and forth and if one guy goes silent out there we’re all kind of messed up. We have to talk back and forth up and down that line.”

CB Tye Hill

(On there being differences between right-handed and left-handed quarterbacks)

“Not really; it just depends on what side of the field the quarterback is going to work. The left corner is always the hot side guy because most of the quarterbacks are right handed. Actually, I don’t think that I’ve ever played against a left-handed quarterback, as far as I remember. He has a fast release and the ball’s going to come out quick. We have to be very disciplined this week because of the talent they have at wide receiver.”

(On how he feels about being able to play well against elite wide receivers)

“It let’s me know that I belong. Before the Carolina game I told you guys that this was going to be a true test of whether I belong here or not. It definitely helps my confidence level, but like I said, every week is a building process. You have to take something from each week and build on it for the next week. This week is going to be another great test of whether I belong or not.”

(On why he’s improved on a week-to-week basis)

“Basically, just being more comfortable and trusting in my God-given ability and trusting in the schemes that the coaches give us and I think that’s what really helps us.”

(On the importance of every remaining game)

“Every game from now on is a critical game. You might as well say that this is our playoff.”

Arizona Cardinals Head Coach, Dennis Green

(On QB Matt Leinart)
    “I think he’s a great competitor. It’s different for him being in the NFL and not having a lot of wins, which he did during his fantastic career in college. I think he’s adjusting to the speed of the pro game, he throws a beautiful ball, a very catchable ball that has velocity, and I think he’s been competitive every week.”

(On Leinart’s season thus far)

“I think that he’s had some good things happened, but the end results haven’t been what we wanted. He’s played against Kansas City, played on Monday Night Football against Chicago and played very well. He’s had some solid games and I think he’s going to have a fantastic career.”

(On RB Edgerrin James’ performance this year)
    “Offensively, we haven’t been able to get it going. I think Edgerrin (James) is doing the best that he can, as we all are, myself included. It just has not been able to come together for us, and sometimes you have a year like that.”

(On attacking the Rams run defense)

“We just want to do well offensively. I think that we’ve had an up and down year defensively, we’ve not had an exceptional offensive year under any circumstances, but defensively we have been up and down. There have been some games; Chicago’s one of them, where we played well defensively and we’ve had other games like last week in Minnesota were we didn’t play very well at all defensively. We’re just hoping that the offense, defense, and special teams can work well together. There’s really not one phase of the game that you don’t have to do well in.”

(On the Cardinals historically being a losing team)

“I think anytime you’re in a turnaround program you have to work hard to turn it around and you do it with new players, players that are accustomed to winning, and players that are determined to win. I think that there are some young players here that will be around for a long time and I feel like the Cardinals will turn that corner.”

(On this being a rebuilding year for the Cardinals)

“I never think that way. We lost some games early in the season where we had opportunities to take over those games, but we didn’t do it. Then you run into games on the road where you don’t quite have the same opportunities.”

(On losing games that they had opportunities to win)
    “It’s always tough. Every time you lose a close ballgame it makes it that much more difficult because there are things that take place during the course of a game, and during a close game a lot of decisions have to be made, and a lot of plays have to be made. St. Louis early, Kansas City, Chicago, those are all teams that will very well be in the playoffs, those were home games early in the season, and we had opportunities in all three of those games I think it definitely has affected us.”

Arizona Cardinals QB Matt Leinart

(On how he felt about his first start in the NFL)
    “It was surreal and it still is at times when I’m out there lined up across from Hall of Fame guys, guys that I’ve been watching since I was young. I love the game, I love to play, and when I finally got a chance to start I felt like I had made it. Now what am I going to do? Am I going to be a guy that just makes it, or am I going to be a guy that wants to be on top and wants to be the best? I’ve always wanted to be the best, whether I’m winning Super Bowl’s or whatever, and that’s my goal. Obviously we’re struggling, but there are a lot of pieces in place for this organization to go forward, but to answer your question, it is a dream.”

(On sitting out the first part of the season)

“If you’re going to sit you just want to sit a year to get a feel for the game, learn, and maybe get in there for a few of the games. For my position, really not being in camp for most of the time, playing two preseason games, sitting, and then starting the fifth game of the year. I didn’t have a lot of time to think, I had to go out there and just play ball. That’s really what I did. I went into Kansas City just playing ball, Chicago I just felt good just playing football and not thinking, and I struggled the next few games. I definitely think this is valuable experience for me in the future.”

(On what caused him to struggle at times this season)

“It was everything. Technically-wise it was footwork and things like that. You have a tendency to get lazy or get sloppy and that was something that I wanted to correct myself. I’m hard on myself, so I always critique myself in every aspect of the game. A lot of it was just struggling as a team. Our team was struggling and our offense was struggling. In Oakland and Green Bay we were struggling and we struggled against Dallas as well. Obviously I was upset at myself because I wanted to play better and help the team win, but it was a full effort by all of us, we just weren’t getting it. In Detroit we played pretty well and got a win and last week in a loss, it was probably the best I felt throwing. I finally saw what our offense can do passing the ball, with the guys we have on the outside. Once we get the running game going it’s going to be fun to watch us and tough to stop us.”

(On the NFL game being faster than the college game)

“It’s definitely faster. Things are going on faster, they’re getting to you quicker, people are moving around, the defenses are way more schematic, and there are so many variations of defenses and schemes, so you’re not getting a vanilla look defense or plain Cover 2 or Cover 3. Every down you’re getting different looks, and that’s what St. Louis does, they give you various different looks. The game does slow down for you with more experience and repetitions. As a rookie quarterback I struggle sometimes because the front four comes so quickly that it’s really easy to stare at the defensive line when they’re coming at you. What makes a great quarterback is not being worried about the rush because he feels it. That’s something I’ve done well in college and I’m getting better now, but wh

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: Coach Scott Linehan Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Thanks.Also was it here I heard someone say DE Eric Moore will suit up?