throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Coach Spags needs your help!

He just had a press conference, but the audio equipment was purchased at a flea market a few years back in the Shawgmunt era. It keeps fuzzing out at all the wrong spots. I've managed to write a partial transcript, but there are many gaps in it.

Here's the real problem: Spags discovered the secret to our offenses success through our WR corp. He laid out his winning thoughts at the press conference, but then at the end he tripped and hit his head. After coming to, he had amnesia and couldn't remember what he said about the WR corp.

It's up to us now. If we can't fill in the blanks for Coach Spags, the season is LOST!!!!!!! Ahhh!!!

Here's what I got:

Coach Spags --- "I'm glad everyone could be here today. I'd like to share with you our thoughts on the WR situation. We've come up with a few answers, but there are still more answers to come. First off, we've thrown away all thoughts of draft position and tenure. All 10 receivers started this camp with a clean slate. With that in place, here's where we are. We know for sure that (WR 1) and (WR 2) are on the roster. They're gonna lead this group. Another guy that will see a ton of time is (WR 3); he's going to be a solid contributor to this team. There's two other guys, (WR 4) and (WR 5) that intrigue us. I could see them filling out this roster. But there's this one guy that we're still on the fence with. We were going to stick with five receivers, but (WR 6) may force us to go with six. He's may just be too good to leave off the final roster. That's all, and thanks for coming. Oh look, a banana peel.....DOH! Where am I?"

It's up to you to fill the blanks.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Coach Spags needs your help!

In order, (Robinson), (Avery), (Amendola), (Gibson), (Gilyard), (Foster OR Burton OR Alexander) ............therefore, Curry, McRae and the last bracket, the other 2 that aren't put there will be on the PS.

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

1) Robinson
    2) Avery
    3) Burton
    4) Gilyard
    5) Gibson
    6) Amendola
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

WR1: Avery
    WR2: Robinson
    WR3: Gilyard
    WR4: Gibson
    WR5: Foster
    WR6: Amendola

Some have said Burton is having a strong camp; if it carries over into the preseason, he may take Foster or Gibson's spot. But I'm not ready to write off two guys that this GM/coach combo acquired themselves last year based on early reports about Burton's camp performance.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Hmm, You guys put Amendola at 6th? Pat Shurmur said his top three right now are Robinson, Avery and Amendola.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

1)Robinson
    2)Avery
    3)Amendola
    4)Burton
    5)Gilyard
    6)Foster

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Just for the record, I had Danny 3rd before I saw you're post! I love Amendola and Burton is having a great camp too. I say they breakout this year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Hmm, You guys put Amendola at 6th? Pat Shurmur said his top three right now are Robinson, Avery and Amendola.
    Then I guess I disagree with Pat Shurmur.

I like Danny, but it's hard for me to believe that other guys aren't going to take those reps in the middle of the depth chart. Amendola is a classic overachiever, IMO. You can't count those guys out, but at some point, I think talent surpasses them.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I like Danny, but it's hard for me to believe that other guys aren't going to take those reps in the middle of the depth chart. Amendola is a classic overachiever, IMO. You can't count those guys out, but at some point, I think talent surpasses them.
    I wouldn't quite rank him 3rd. but I'd put either him or Gilyard in the slot, thats why I believe he said that hes in the top.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I suppose overachieving is better than underachieving.

I understand your perception, Nick; little white guy w/o any flashy measurable. But he has produced at a higher level than most any of the rest of the WR roster. At some point, an overachiever is just an achiever.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

1) Laurent Robinson is easily the best of this group if he can stay healthy.

2) Donnie Avery is the fastest and is the only one that can consistently stretch the field, although his hands are suspect.

3) Gilyard: I believe Mardy Gilyard's natural ability to make plays will land him at number 3

4) Keenun Burton, based on his apparent strong camp plus what he did last year before injury lands him at number 4.

5) Brandon Gibson showed flashes last season. If he can consistently hold onto the ball he is number 5.

6) Amendola: but he could just as easily be the odd man out in favor of any of the following. I believe a lot will depend on how Gilyard progresses both as receiver and returner.

Practice squad, Brooks Foster, McCrae, and if signed, Danario Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

2) Donnie Avery is the fastest and is the only one that can consistently stretch the field, although his hands are suspect.

3) Gilyard: I believe Mardy Gilyard's natural ability to make plays will land him at number 3

4) Keenun Burton, based on his apparent strong camp plus what he did last year before injury lands him at number 4.

5) Brandon Gibson showed flashes last season. If he can consistently hold onto the ball he is number 5.

6) Amendola: but he could just as easily be the odd man out in favor of any of the following. I believe a lot will depend on how Gilyard progresses both as receiver and returner.

I really like this. I mean Brooks Foster was injured all year so he really couldn't show what he had. I'd be fine with him on the PS for a year in the system or get to learn the offense. I also love the pick of Burton. He's shown us what he can do and I really like him this season.

Im hoping one of these guys are consistent and a threat. I really liked what Robinson was doing before his injury last season. I'm really hoping Avery is more consistent and works better with his hands. Amendola is a good KR/PuntR and a good slot receiver. Gibson showed he is a good possession receiver. Burton shows as a well polished route runner and good hands. Im not sure what we have in Gilyard for now, besides the fact hes quick and can stretch the field well. Curry and McRae look good although I doubt they make it, and Foster looks to be a taller physical receiver.

msha is offline Registered User

1) Robinson
    2) Avery
    3) Gilyard
    4) Gibson
    5) Foster
    6) Burton

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

You nailed my thoughts. I don't see anything outside of this line-up being our 6.

I have a second feeling that if this group stays close enough thye may be used interchangeably and not as a 1-6 group.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

1. Robinson
    2. Avery
    3. Gillyard
    4. Gibson
    5. Foster
    6. Amendola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast