Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Coach Of The Year Why Not Spags ?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If Spags can take the 2009 1-15 Rams team to 8-8 and a NFC West division title, how could he possibly not get coach of the year??
    I can think of two off the top of my head.

One, Tampa will almost certainly finish no worse than tied with us at seasons' end, which puts them ahead of us since we gave them a game.

And two, because 8 and 8 should probably be at least 10 and 6 if not for Spags IMO.

chucknbob is online now Registered User

If Spags can take the 2009 1-15 Rams team to 8-8 and a NFC West division title, how could he possibly not get coach of the year??
    Because it's the NFC West. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as pumped to be on top of the division as anyone else, but don't forget we're still trying to get to .500 this week.

I'm not saying that Spags won't deserve it by the end of the season, and I feel that he's done a great job with our young bruised up team thus far. I think it is going to boil down to how we finish the season, and how we look when/if we host our playoff game.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I disagree. Though I really like Spags, he is making mistakes still, such as time management, second half let downs with an overly conservative play calling regimen. Ultimately, he has to be the man responsible for this.

Additionally, I think Bradford more than Spags is responsible for this turn around. His play sparks this entire team including defense. When he struggles, which there are limited instances, like in the later stages of games, you can see the defense wear down.

Give Spags and DV credit for getting Sam, but making Spags coach of the year for the unbelievable play of a remarkable rookie. He's getting better, but isn't coach of the year, yet.
    Semper Fi!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I can think of two off the top of my head.

One, Tampa will almost certainly finish no worse than tied with us at seasons' end, which puts them ahead of us since we gave them a game.

And two, because 8 and 8 should probably be at least 10 and 6 if not for Spags IMO.
    I'm getting the impression you're not a big Spags fan.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about who deserves what, but a coach that takes the worst team in the NFL to a division title with a very young, talent deprived squad would be deserving of coach of the year IMO.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'm getting the impression you're not a big Spags fan.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about who deserves what, but a coach that takes the worst team in the NFL to a division title with a very young, talent deprived squad would be deserving of coach of the year IMO.
    Spags appears to be an excellent coach, just not a fan of his philosophy. And the primary reason why he shouldn't win coach of the year is Tampa Bay.

Let's not forget that Tampa Bay had the third pick in the draft, so obviously they've come a long way as well. They too are a very young group. And although the fact that they've already beaten us appears to be of no consequence to you for some odd reason, it will ultimately keep their coach ahead of ours.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

gotta be Spags! Tampa just had a winning season in 2008 we haven't had one since 2006. Spags has turned this all around in dramatic fashion. we were the laughing stock of the NFL and now here we are looking at a potential playoff run, Tampa Bay might not even make the playoffs.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    gotta be Spags! Tampa just had a winning season in 2008 we haven't had one since 2006. Spags has turned this all around in dramatic fashion. we were the laughing stock of the NFL and now here we are looking at a potential playoff run, Tampa Bay might not even make the playoffs.
    Tampa Bay might not even make the playoffs because they're in a division with two teams that have 9+ wins. The Rams wouldn't be likely to make the playoffs under those circumstances, either.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Spags is certainly in the conversation. Raheem Morris is the other logical guy that comes to mind. He's done a nice job with a Tampa team that was about as bad as the Rams last year. Saying Morris doesn't deserve it because "they haven't beaten a team with a winning record" is hypocrisy at its worst. Who have the Rams beaten? San Diego is the best team they've beaten, and they're 6-6. The West is terrible. And the Bucs beat us. Let's be objective, here.

Spags and Morris are the two coaches who have engineered the biggest turnarounds with teams who weren't expected to do anything. Each is deserving. The winner will probably be the one with the better record at year's end.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Why is everyone talking an 8-8 record? I like the way we play defense and we can be dangerous if Bradford and Alexander can hook-up frequently and S-Jax can pound the ball. I think we can compete with teams like the chiefs and saints.

Speaking of the chiefs look at what Hailey has done. The chiefs were 4-12 with a 1-7 home record. This year they have the best running game in the NFL without a loss at home and are 8-4 right now. ANd the chiefs blewout teams and won some close games.

I think we should be looking for a 10-6 record and be a competitive team in the playoffs not just a mediocre team the luckily made it in a bad division. Spags should show off how far the team has come in the next 2 weeks.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Spags is certainly in the conversation. Raheem Morris is the other logical guy that comes to mind. He's done a nice job with a Tampa team that was about as bad as the Rams last year. Saying Morris doesn't deserve it because "they haven't beaten a team with a winning record" is hypocrisy at its worst. Who have the Rams beaten? San Diego is the best team they've beaten, and they're 6-6. The West is terrible. And the Bucs beat us. Let's be objective, here.

Spags and Morris are the two coaches who have engineered the biggest turnarounds with teams who weren't expected to do anything. Each is deserving. The winner will probably be the one with the better record at year's end.
    saying they havent beaten a team with a winning record is not hypocrisy its a fact and they beat us with what 12 seconds to go,so how much weight does that really carry.Spags has done a better job of taking an awful team to respectability.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My vote goes to Wade Ph... I mean Brad Childre.... Josh McDan...

I just don't know anymore!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    saying they havent beaten a team with a winning record is not hypocrisy its a fact and they beat us with what 12 seconds to go,so how much weight does that really carry.Spags has done a better job of taking an awful team to respectability.

What are you not getting, jk ?? The point is, the very thing you're saying about Tampa not beating a good team can be said about the Rams!! And saying Spags has done a better job than Morris of taking an awful team to respectability can be argued as well. Listen, I'd give Spags my vote, but only because I'm a Rams fan and a good argument could be made in his support. But the same can also be said of Morris, whose tampa Bay team was just as bad as St. Louis last year.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The fact that we're having this discussion is a great thing. I'm sure we'd all love to see the Rams continue to far exceed expectations and Spags earn the honor of NFL Coach of the Year.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I think Singletary just entered back into the race by announcing Alex Smith is going to be their starter.

If he can pull off a 4 and 12 season for the ***** he will get my vote.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    What are you not getting, jk ?? The point is, the very thing you're saying about Tampa not beating a good team can be said about the Rams!! And saying Spags has done a better job than Morris of taking an awful team to respectability can be argued as well. Listen, I'd give Spags my vote, but only because I'm a Rams fan and a good argument could be made in his support. But the same can also be said of Morris, whose tampa Bay team was just as bad as St. Louis last year.
    maybe your right and maybe I'm giving a homer vote but I thought the Rams were by far the worst team in football and given where they are now Spags deserves it in my opinion, who knows there could be other names in it before the season is over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast