RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coaches like attitude of rookie Adeyanju

Defensive end is always ready to play

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - It's understandable that St. Louis Rams rookie defensive end Victor Adeyanju might be a little gung-ho playing in his first NFL game.

But, Adeyanju was still fired up even after he'd completed his assignment with the second-string defense during the Rams' 19-17 preseason win over the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday night.

"He had his helmet on and his mouth guard in during the fourth quarter, and he'd been done for a quarter," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "We told him that it was OK for him to take his helmet off."

Adeyanju recalled Linehan telling him to relax on the sideline.

"I was on the sideline and he said, 'Calm down, take your helmet off,"' Adeyanju said. "You never know when someone might go down, god forbid, so I want be prepared to go in on defense."

Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said Adeyanju, a fourth-round pick out of the University of Indiana, will start at right defensive end if Leonard Little isn't able to play against the Houston Texans on Saturday at the Edward Jones Dome.

Little has been bothered by a strained quadriceps muscle in his leg, though Linehan said he thought Little would be available against the Texans.

"He had an excellent game last week," Haslett said of Adeyanju. "We're probably going to start him this week if Leonard doesn't go. We'll see what he can do. He has great effort. He's powerful. We'll get a better look at him this week."

Adeyanju (pronounced ah-DAY-on-jhoo) had two tackles, one quarterback hit and a sack that was negated by a illegal use of the hands penalty on Dwight Anderson against the Colts.

"It wasn't just the sack he had," Linehan said of what impressed him about Adeyanju's performance. "There was a play where he pursued from one side of the field to the other, where he looked like, as we call it, 'a guy.'

"It was a big-play time. He came out of nowhere. That was pretty encouraging to see."

Physically, the 6-foot-4, 268-pound Adeyanju looks a little like the 6-foot-3, 263-pound Little.

"I've learned a lot from him," Adeyanju said of Little. "Sometimes when I'm getting frustrated or I'm not doing the right technique, he comes to say, 'Hey, listen up...' He gives me a lot of insight."

As a child, Adeyanju spent four years living in Nigeria with his grandmother. His mother and father, a cab driver in Chicago, attended the game against the Colts.

"It was the first time I played a game in the preseason with the Rams," Adeyanju said. "I remember watching these guys on TV when I was a young adult. It was a very exciting moment."

Injury report

Left tackle Orlando Pace (sprained knee and ankle), fullbacks Madison Hedgecock (sprained ankle) and Paul Smith (calf), linebacker Jamal Brooks (toe), offensive guard Claude Terrell (wrist), linebacker Drew Wahlroos (broken hand), cornerback Kevin Timothee (sprained ankle) and Little all were held out of practice Thursday.

The Rams are currently without a healthy fullback on their roster.

Rams coach Scott Linehan said he hoped that Smith would be available against the Texans, but he didn't think there was any chance that Hedgecock would be able to play.

"Madison's ankle is not improving real well," Linehan said. "He's doubtful. I doubt if he has the opportunity to play this week."

Linehan said Hedgecock's injury could be categorized as the dreaded high ankle sprain. "That can be a 2-6 week injury," Linehan said.

Linehan said it would be a game-day decision on whether Pace would play against the Texans.

Team bonding

The Rams made a surprise bus trip to a local theater to see a showing of the newly released movie, "Invinceable," on Thursday night.

The movie tells the story of wide receiver Vince Papale, who made the Philadelphia Eagles' roster as a walk-on under coach Dick Vermeil in 1976.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Coaches like attitude of rookie Adeyanju

"He had his helmet on and his mouth guard in during the fourth quarter, and he'd been done for a quarter," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "We told him that it was OK for him to take his helmet off."

Adeyanju recalled Linehan telling him to relax on the sideline.

"I was on the sideline and he said, 'Calm down, take your helmet off,"' Adeyanju said. "You never know when someone might go down, god forbid, so I want be prepared to go in on defense."
    I love both of those quotes. I love his attitude. I love Adeyanju.

Why can't more NFL Players be like that? Most of them could careless if there playing as long as there getting there paycheck.

Hopefully he can keep his success up.
    RamsFan16

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Coaches like attitude of rookie Adeyanju

That's football music to my ears.

'Looks like we have a winner in V.A. He is certainly working hard and seems to be seriously committed to do his best ... for himself, for the team. I really, really appreciate that! And our coaches must too.