RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Coaches Media Luncheon Quotes

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/53079/

Coaches Media Luncheon Quotes
    Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Head Coach Scott Linehan

(On how important it was to hire people he knows)

“It’s a factor. Working with somebody, not necessarily your friends, but people you’ve worked with, is important because you’ve been in that room together, and you know how you work together. That’s a factor. It’s not the deciding factor. I think a lot of it has more to do with are you a competent coach, and you can find a number of ways to find out a person’s competency. I think that’s the most important thing, being able to get along in the meeting room, get in the trenches when things aren’t good and all that is important too. I think those factors more than whether it’s someone you know, or someone you’ve been with. It is important. It is really important to me to have continuity in both rooms of guys that have been together, know each other. It really is a tough business. It’s tough enough when things are going well, but when things aren’t, you have to be able to stick together in that room and fight through it. That was a big part of it.”

(On if the process was easier or harder than he thought it would be)
    “I expected it to be very difficult. There were parts of it that were, I wouldn’t say easy, but were enjoyable. The difficult part was that you couldn’t do it all at one time. You had to show patience, do it methodically, [and] concentrate on certain areas. I, obviously, worked on the defense initially, right away while I had some ideas about what I was going to do offensively. Not being able to do it the next day was difficult, because you want to get it together, get it started and get going. You have to show patience and make sure you make the right decisions. Very few decisions are made right away or without much thought that are easily very good decisions. I put a lot of time into it, went round and round and hopefully putting in the time and being patient will pay off.”

(On the size of his staff being larger than previous Rams’ coaching staffs)

“Well, the philosophy is this. During the old days, you had fewer coaches and a lot more people working in the building that did a lot of the other work. Basically, what you’re looking at are the people that are going to be on the football side. I have an assistant that is going to be working for me, but other than that, all the year-round, day and night chores that are done for coaches are going to be done by the guys in this room. You have guys that are going to be doing the work that was done by assistants in the past that were hired by the club and worked basically 8 to 5 hours. Now, the guys in this room are the guys that are going to be in there day and night, 12 months per year. It’s really the trend, the model that people are doing across the league as far as having guys that aren’t working on an hourly schedule. It’s more of a day and night, year round schedule. It is a few more, but there is a lot more, I guess, assignments that are added to people as opposed to just coaching a position on one side of the ball.”

(On if he has to go back to square one to find a defensive line coach)

“I have a pool of candidates that we’re going to interview. There is not a scientific way to hire coaches. It has to be a good fit for the system. Every once in a while, there is going to be a bump in the road. In this case, Nick Holt was my first choice to coach our D-line, but Nick got an opportunity to go be a coordinator back at maybe the premier college coaching position in the country. You can’t foresee that at the time, but you have to be ready and have a plan B ready. So, we’re going to be interviewing two or three candidates in the next four or five days and make sure they fit the requirements we have to coach our system on our defense.”

(On what kind of talent he will be looking at during the combine)

“All of the best players. I think you really put more of your emphasis, when you are looking at need right away, it’s more the free agent market, the current players in the league. When you get into the combine, you’re looking for the best players. You’re going to stack the best players, regardless of the need we have on our team. So, you’re not going to go over somebody to pass up a great player. We’ll evaluate the players as if we need those players at every position, and then when we stack the players, the need factors in there, but you never want to pass up a great player to get somebody you think you need more, because you already have a Steven Jackson. If the next best player in the draft happens to be a running back, and that’s how we stack them, then you have to trust in the system and believe in the system. That’s how you have to do it. It factors, but it’s not the only factor.”

(On how busy he has been looking at players since most of his coaching staff is in place)

“What you have to understand is that we’re a new staff, so we’re putting together our system, offense, defense, special teams. In the meantime, we’re also evaluating free agents, our current free agents and free agents that are free in the market from the other teams, and establishing what will be best for us. There are obviously economic considerations that go in there. We have to evaluate the current players and the college players. We’re getting ready for the combine next week. We’ll look at them in the next upcoming six or seven weeks prior to the draft and going into our draft meetings. You throw in hiring assistant coaches and getting ready for offseason programs with our current players, when that starts, when we do our mini-camps, when we do our OTAs. There are a lot of things. There is a lot of multitasking going on with these guys right now. In the meantime, we’re getting to know each other and getting on the same page right away. So, there are a lot of things going on. I was talking to a group earlier today, and I said that my favorite question when the season is over is, and even people in my family will ask, ‘what are you going to do during the offseason?’ I just laugh at that one, because it’s busier. We have breaks that we factor in there. The coaches more and more now have a bigger involvement with what you do in the offseason as far as getting things organized and getting things ready for your next year’s team. Free agency, and the way it has changed, your team changes faces every year, so you have to make good decisions.”

(On how important it is to have a coordinator with head coaching experience)

“Oh, it’s a great benefit because I’d be making a big mistake if I thought I knew how to handle every situation. You need to have experience, and that’s why you need diversity on your staff of young guys, older guys, guys with NFL experience, guys that don’t. You have to lean on guys for different reasons, but the guys that are experienced on our staff and have been head coaches have been through it and have had to make those decisions. I have to definitely lean on those guys heavily for making the right calls on things.”

(On how he goes about getting everyone on the same page)

“First of all, hiring Jim [Haslett], we have two guys that were on his staff last year, one that has been on his staff before, and two other guys that will come in who are easy guys to work with that are really adaptable to that situation. Defensively, it was really important to me that we had that continuity. Offensively, there is a lot of continuity for us, for me. Greg [Olson] and I were basically raised under the same offensive format. Randy and Doug and Judd working with me last year, Wayne working with me at the University of Washington, there is some carry over there. Henry being able to keep us on par with what they were doing, terminology wise and philosophy wise from an offensive standpoint. Jim working with Greg, someone he can bounce ideas off of, someone he worked with in college. Jeff, he and I worked together, philosophical things, things he can help me with. He’s an ex-head coach as well. That’s part of putting the staff together that’s important. If I couldn’t even remember these guys’ names when I came in here, and we were still trying to get to know each other, I think that would be difficult. So, it kind of goes back to that original question. There does need to be some familiarity within the staff, but it isn’t the only requirement. There has to be some diverse ideas and backgrounds as well.”

(On the Rams’ need in evaluating free agents)

“Well, I think you all know we’ve pretty much been a power offensively. We have some pretty good weapons coming back, but there are still some areas we want to look at on the offensive side of the ball, maybe shore up the depth in our line. We’re looking at our tight end situation, obviously. We have backup quarterback scenarios that have come up. I think the best way to answer that is defensively we have to address some areas to improve our ability to play at the level we need to play to get back to where we need to be. We’re evaluating that. There isn’t any number one formula or any number one position that makes us better. We just need to create a better depth situation, and just a better team overall on the defensive side. In doing that, we need to evaluate our entire team. When I say that, the thing that gets affected in this too is our special teams. The kind of players we have on our 53-man roster need to be able to help us offensively, defensively and on special teams equally, so that we can be a more effective football team. So, creating better depth and the right types of players that fit the characteristics that are required to play in our system will be the biggest factor. I think that’s going to be the thing we address. Obviously, we’re looking at all players defensively. We have our own free agency situation out here as far as guys we have to decide on who we’re going to be able to keep and those things. We’ve addressed it in that order, our current players first, we’re evaluating them now, and then looking at possible players that are out there that are free on the market coming from other teams. We’ll be making that decision. We’re putting together our list, as we say, from top to bottom on what we think will best fit our systems.”

(On whether training camp will be held in St. Louis or not)

“Yeah, right now we’re leaning toward having it here again. Really, the number one factor is in the technology age, with our new system, the Pinnacle XO system that we use and being able to utilize that technology and having that right here makes it a much more adequate way to teach and evaluate in training camp. Plus, our facility here is an excellent facility. We have the three fields. We have the meeting rooms all set. All those things are a very big factor in that. I haven’t closed the door on any opportunities, but right now, we did it the same way at Miami. It was a very positive way to have camp. There may be a reason to consider the other possibilities as well. We’ll make that decision in the next two or three weeks.”

(On how the offseason strength training program will change)

“The reason for maintaining that continuity is Dana [LeDuc], I have a little background with Dana, Dana actually worked for Dennis Erickson at one point in his career. I was able to talk to Dennis about it. I kind of like the old-fashioned, the old college philosophy in the weight room, where you have the strength coaches in there. He runs it a lot like a college program. He’s been able to switch and make the move to the pro-program, because there are different numbers you’re dealing with and things like that. He’s philosophically on the same page. We’re going to do things somewhat differently. We were able to hire Brad Roll, who has worked with Dana. Brad also has a little bit of a background in the same program. They’re going to be on the same page, and I think it’s very important that those guys are a one-two punch so to speak. We’re not going to totally go crazy, over-the-edge with these guys, but we want certainly want to train them to get them ready, so they can be in the best possible shape once they hit camp. It’s really hard now. We only have the 14-week period, and you really have to get those guys into as good of shape as you can, and you have to understand that they’re going to have a break in between that time and when we start training camp. You have feel like you have them in pretty good shape by the end of that 14-week period and you have to really trust that we have a good plan for that.”

(On his philosophy on special teams)

“Well, the old saying is that there is three phases to a good team. Obviously, if you want to be a great team, you want to excel on special teams. There was an improvement made on special teams from two years ago to last year, and Bob [Ligashesky] really did an excellent job in a difficult situation of finding ways to make improvements. Some were not as noticeable to the naked eye as you might think, but there was a lot of improvement, I think, philosophically a lot of improvement. I think what we’re going to do is get our best players on the field whenever we can. There will be times when our starters will be on special teams. I think there has to be core players on your team that are considered starters to the special teams coach. Your third running back, maybe your third or fourth receiver, back up linebacker, guys like that have to be very productive and big impact players on special teams. It can’t be changing week to week, those positions. If that’s the case, then he’s going to have no continuity. I think you have to really create, when you are evaluating free agents, and you’re evaluating the draft, if a guy is a core special teams player, that has to factor in just as much as you would characterize an x-receiver or a sam linebacker. That has to be given equal consideration. Philosophically, we will give more time to the special teams coach. He will have more time allocated for mini-camps and OTA days so that he can get his system implemented, and he’s not getting short-changed. We’ll actually have two periods during our practice schedule. We’ll have a walkthrough prior to practice, and he’ll have an additional walkthrough at the end. So, he’ll have four opportunities to put his systems in on our workdays, on Wednesdays and Thursdays. You have to give all three phases and equal chance to be successful, or you’re not ever going to be strong enough in those areas. I think we have an excellent kicker. We have to make a decision on what we’re going to do with our punting situation. I think that the key to special teams is to have great core players that consider themselves starters and can contribute offensively or defensively as well.”

(On RB Marshall Faulk)

“I talked to him again. Marshall is saying all the right things. We’re hoping we can get as many years or year out of him as we can. He’s a great asset to our team and has been. He’s been very upbeat and positive about his return, but obviously it’s his decision ultimately at the end to come back. We certainly have open arms for him coming back and helping us any way that he can.”

Offensive Coordinator Greg Olson

(On his background with Head Coach Scott Linehan)

“Well, as Scott said, we had a history together. Although we grew up, as he said, about 20 miles apart from one and other, we didn’t meet until 1987 through a mutual friend. Since that time, as he said, we both kind of grew up in the same philosophy collegiately, through Dennis Erickson, John L. Smith, I also worked with Joe Tiller. They had very similar offensive philosophies, progressive, spread the field spread offense-type philosophy. So we have always have shared that philosophy. Throughout the 15 years that I coached college football we would often talk. We’d go, it would be interesting to see if we were ever able to get to the NFL and maybe share some of that philosophy and be able to work on a common staff together, and maybe try some of the things that we had talked around as college coaches. I was fortunate enough to get into the league in 2001 with San Francisco, and Scott came in the following year. I have tremendous amount of respect for what he has done in both Minnesota and Miami. I kind of switched gears somewhat in going from the spread offense to a West Coast system where I learned under Steve Mariucci. From that system I took a lot from Steve. I feel comfortable with that system, and I have a number of different ideas and concepts that I picked up under that system that will bode well with what Scott wants to do. I just think our philosophy is very similar because of our background and what were able to learn from the collegiate coaches that we worked for. I think it will work well. Again, it is going to be an aggressive style. We’re going to be aggressive in our approach to game planning. I think it’s a real good fit.”

(On what he thinks will be his biggest challenge moving from a position coach to a coordinator role)

“I think I have had some experience. Obviously last year in Detroit it wasn’t under the best circumstances, but I did take over [as] the coordinator [for] the final five games of last season. I have some experience there [and] was able to call plays which is a big part of the coordinating the offense. I called the plays the final three games of the 2004 season in Detroit. I was a collegiate coordinator. In no way am I trying to compare that to the National Football League, but there are a lot of similarities that will carry over. I have been exposed, I think, to a number of very good coordinators and very good offensive minds. I was fortunate in my 15 years as a college coach. The head coaches that I worked for were all offensive head coaches. I have been exposed to a number of different head coaches that had very good philosophies of offensive football, and I think that will help me more so than anything. Obviously with Scott part of the reason he was hired here was for his offensive mind. It will be my job and our job as an offensive staff to solve problems and to help Scott solve problems offensively. Again, I think it is a real good fit. Do I see it as a challenge? Obviously it is a challenge, but I think last year I got my feet wet a little bit with that part of it. I’m up to the challenge.”

(On whether he has spoken with QB Marc Bulger yet)

“I just left a message with him last week. We’re going to get a chance to meet with him. I know he’s going to be in town tomorrow. We’ll get a chance to sit down and visit with Marc tomorrow.”

(On how much importance he places on the run-pass balance in game planning)

“I definitely think it is important, and again, a lot of this we can direct at Scott as well. But, do I believe that is important? Yes, I believe that is important. I think it is important. You have to take a hard look at the personnel that you have on offense. I think right now we’re blessed in that we’re inheriting a pretty good group of offensive players. We have a young, up-and-coming running back in Steven Jackson. That is a guy that we’re excited about. We’re certainly excited about the group of wide receivers that we’ve inherited. Is it important for us to have balance? I think with what we have right now standing behind the quarterback, we are going to be probably a more balanced football team than what maybe you’re used to seeing.”

(On whether getting the tight end more involved as a receiver will be a focus)

“I think, again, you try to build your philosophy around the personnel you have. If we feel that we don’t have that great pass-catching tight end, and I’m not saying that we don’t, but if we don’t feel like that is someone we’re going to center our offense around, then we will find ways to get the ball in other players’ hands, whether that be a third wide receiver or that running back. You kind of build your philosophy around the personnel that you have on the team.”

(On his initial impression of QB Marc Bulger and whether he worries about Bulger’s shoulder injuries)

“No, I don’t. I have watched Marc on film. One of the first orders of business when I got here was to watch the previous season here. I’m excited about him. I think he’s a tremendous player. Clearly he was injured this year. I don’t know if that would be considered a concern. Obviously, we have to keep him healthy, number one. But I think he’s a tremendous player. I have all the respect in the world for Marc Bulger, and if we can keep him healthy, I think we’re going to have a heck of an offense next year.”

Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett

(Opening statement)

“I’d like to start off by saying that I think it is a great opportunity for myself and for the coaches. I think [Head Coach] Scott [Linehan] did a great job of putting a staff together of more than qualified guys on both sides of the ball. You talk about guys that have been head coaches and coordinators that kind of stepped back, including myself. I think he’s done a great job up and down the offense and defense. That being said, I’m excited about the opportunity. I’m excited about coming up here. I know that this has been a rival for ours for a number of years. We always had fun playing this team. It is kind of weird being on other side of the ball, but I’m looking forward to it. I know the kind of offense that they have had here for years and that kind of intrigued me. And I know that it’s a challenge on defense to try to get better. From that standpoint, [Secondary Coach] Willy [Robinson], [Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Coach] Rick [Venturi], [Defensive Quality Control Coach] Joe Baker, and I, we have worked together before. And [Assistant Secondary Coach] Ron [Milus] has worked with Tim Lewis last year in Pittsburgh, and that is where everybody started. Willy coached in Pittsburgh; I was in Pittsburgh. Rick and I were together since ’96. I think the turnover of the new system that we’re going to implement is going to be easy. And Ron, when we talk about stuff, I just put it in Pittsburgh terms so that he gets it quick. I don’t think that is going to be a problem. It’s a great challenge because they ended up 30th in the league in defense. We do have a good core of young players that I think you can build off of. Obviously, we’re going to need some help, but I think that why we’re here. That’s why Rick, Willy, Ron, and Joe are here. I think it’s a great challenge for us.”

(On why it was important to him to stay in coaching and not take a job like broadcasting)

“Well, it was important to me. I interviewed for a few jobs. I turned down a few interviews; I wasn’t too excited about some opportunities. Last year was a hard year on myself and all the coaches, and really the whole city. So I decided that if I didn’t get a job, or the right job, that I would probably sit out a year and see if I could get back in the next year. Scott called me up and asked me to come to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and spend some time with him. He didn’t have to talk me into it. I think we hit it off. We had a good conversation about the football team, [and] where it was going. I think I told you right there that I would take the job. I like coaching, I like being involved, I like being around the players. I did a show for the Super Bowl. The week before I flew out to Los Angeles. It was a one hour show. It took five and a half hours. I called my wife and said, ‘Screw this stuff.’ That wasn’t really for me. I just wanted to have an opportunity to coach again. I’m around guys that are friends and good football coaches, and I think its going to be a good experience.”

(On what show he was working with)

“It was FSN, the one with Jay Glazer and Tim Brown. The longest show…”

(On what current players he hopes to build his defense around)

“There are a few guys. If you look at [LB] Pisa [Tinoisamoa] and [S] Adam [Archuleta]. I think that Adam is a good football player if you use him in different situations. [DE] Leonard Little has been one of the best players on this team for a long time. [DT Ryan] Pickett and a few of them are free agents. [DT] Jimmy Kennedy, I thought he improved last year. Just those guys…I thought [LB Brandon] Chillar did a good job. Some of those guys off the top of my head. Obviously, you’d like to get a couple more, which we will work on. I do think they have some young players that you can build off of.”

(On whether it is a tough transition going from being a head coach to a coordinator)

“It is a little bit. I have to learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes in meetings. I don’t think so, because once you get into it, and once you start doing it, and you get in your room, and you start coaching football, its fun again. I didn’t have last year coaching at all, and I’m going to enjoy this season. We’re going to make the defense better. We’re going to try to win enough games and get us ranked high enough that we get into the playoffs. That’s our number one goal. The offense has a lot of talent, and they’re going to score points. We have to do our end of it too.”

(On whether Linehan’s attacking philosophy attracted him to his job with the Rams)

“I’m coming from a system where I coached in Pittsburgh and in New Orleans where we blitzed a lot and did a lot of different things. Really, we’ll do what we have to do to try and win games based on personnel. We’re putting in coverages right now. We’re not putting in fronts. If we have personnel to run a 3-4, we’ll run a 3-4. If we have personnel to run a 4-3, we’ll run a 4-3. If we have guys who can blitz, like [S] Adam Archuleta, we’ll do some of that stuff. We’ll take advantage of the players’ abilities.”

(On if he has talked to any of the defensive players)

“I’ve talked to [S] Adam [Archuleta] a number of times. I’ve talked to [DE] Leonard [Little]. [LB] Pisa [Tinoisamoa] came up. We couldn’t get him out of the room. He was on the board the whole time. He wanted to learn right away. I’ve only been here a week, so I’m sure more will start trickling in, and we’d like to get as many as we can back in town as soon as we can also.”

(On whether there is anything he is looking to redefine about himself as a defensive coordinator)

“No, I just want to be part of a staff that helps the St. Louis Rams win game. I’m not really trying to reinvent the wheel. You have 11 guys, there are only so many thing that you can do with them, but we’ll do whatever we can to make our players play to the best of their ability to win games. We’re not trying to come up with a gimmick to have an opportunity to advance yourself. I’m worried about this team.”

(On his being booed at games in St. Louis and what was his best game vs. St. Louis)

“Well, we lost this last year. I don’t really pay attention to the crowd. Probably the most exciting game was the game we got behind, I think, 28-3 and ended up coming back to win with a field goal at the end of the game.”

(On whether that was the game where Kyle Turley was excited in the locker room at halftime)

“Everybody was a little excited in that locker room at halftime. I think they scored about three touchdowns on a double reverse pass or a flea flicker or something else.”

(On whether he appreciates how heated the St. Louis-New Orleans rivalry was around 2000-01)

“I know it was a great rivalry because of all of the things going on in between. It was the Saints’ only playoff win ever, so that will go down in history there. It was fun to be part of it. It was shame that we had to split up divisions and move different ways from that standpoint. It was hard because you knew you were going to give up a bunch of yards when you played them. You knew if you played well and you played physical that you were going to get some turnovers, and you had to play well on special teams. Scott and I talked about that, addressing that special teams are strong and getting better on defense. I don’t think you can get better on special teams unless you get better on defense, because a quarter of your players on special teams come from your backup linebackers, your backup defensive backs, a couple of guys, maybe a tight end, maybe a wideout, [but] your core players come from defense. So I think defense affects two areas, while offense is maybe one and half. I think your core players on special teams come from defense.”

(On how tough all of the issues the Saints faced in 2005 away from football were for him)

“I wasn’t with my family. My family was back in New Orleans for four months and I was in San Antonio [and] San Jose. We kind of bounced around. That was probably the hardest part. I have three kids. I have a 15, a 13, and a nine year old. That was probably the hardest part, being away from them. Football is football. We got together, we huddled up wherever we were at it was win time. High school fields…it was a bad environment to win in, and we didn’t do a very good job of handling it, and our football team didn’t do a very good job. And that is why the record reflected that. It was tough situation. Just like everybody else on the Gulf Coast and all the way to Florida with what they are still going through now.”

(On what he will not tolerate as a coach)

“Well, I don’t know… I don’t tolerate guys walking to the football. I think your philosophy has to start with that everybody is going to run to the football. And that is the number one thing. You’re going to do thing right. And we’re going to get a group of smart players that are going to do things right. And if they give you effort, which is really all you can ask of them. Are they good enough? That is something that we can sort out. The effort part of it, the intelligence part of it, the work ethic, which is something that they have to have, and that we’ll try to instill in them. They can do it. Are the good enough? That is something that we will decide as a coaching staff.”

(On what roles he thinks will make S Adam Archuleta a better player)

“I think he does a lot of good thing. The guy is probably one of the best blitzers I have seen in a long time. He has great speed. He can play in the box. He played linebacker in college. He’s a veteran. There are some things he needs to work on. There is a reason Adam hasn’t made the Pro Bowl, and I think with his ability and some of the things that he can do, if he works, and I know he’s a hard worker, we can get him to that type of level.”

(On what he thinks make a successful defense)

“I think you have to play together. I think it is probably a little of both. First you have to have a little some talent. Then everybody has to be united in the front, and know what everybody else is going to do. Then the attitude has to be there because defense is about having some tough guys run around the ball and have some fun. If you screw up you make up for it with effort getting to the ball because I know guys that kind of freelance and dome some things, but they are great football players because they make plays. If you have 11 guys on the same page, it makes it a lot easier.”
    Nice article IMO! The bold is what I think is most interesting.

RamsFan16

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Coaches Media Luncheon Quotes

Good stuff 16!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good read, RF16. Thanks...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Henry being able to keep us on par with what they were doing, terminology wise and philosophy wise from an offensive standpoint
    I thought this quote was interesting.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Adam Archuleta, we’ll do some of that stuff. We’ll take advantage of the players’ abilities.”

(On if he has talked to any of the defensive players)

“I’ve talked to [S] Adam [Archuleta] a number of times
    Pro Bowl, and I think with his ability and some of the things that he can do, if he works, and I know he’s a hard worker, we can get him to that type of level

Does not sound Like Adam Archuleta, is going any where.Haslett seems to have plans for him.