throwback week



Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By RAMarkable

Thread: Coaching

  1. #1
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,463
    Rep Power
    74

    Coaching

    I have the privilege of being a high school coach. I've been a part of some excellent teams and have also coached some teams who were not sucessful. Certainly, there are elements to coaching high school that are very different from being a professional coach, but at the end of the day coaching is coaching. You do the very best job you can to bring guys together and win games. Coaching is teaching. Coaching is about adjustments. Coaching is about recognizing talent. My observations lead me to believe Spags is a good defensive coordinator and a guy who has his team playing hard most of the time despite the futility, and that is a tribute to him. But where he and the rest of the staff come up woefully short is in the area of game planning and in-game adjustments and utilizing his personnel properly.

    It is absolutely critical that you adjust your game plan and adjust your playcalling to fit the skill sets of those who are playing. If I have a poor offensive team in baseball, I am going to play small ball- bunt, steal, hit and run- do everything I can do to generate offense and put pressure on the defense. If I have a slow basketball team, I am going to slow the game down- not get into a run and gun contest with my opponent. And if I have one of the best backs in football, I'm sure as hell not going to spread him out, completely neutralize him and make him one-dimensional. I'm not going to isolate my franchise QB with the bad ankle with minimal protection and put him on an island. I'm going to recognize my offensive line stinks and call plays accordingly to maximize their ability to be successful.

    To me, there is no better example of this than with Josh McDaniels. He appears incapable of preparing a sound offensive game plan which best utilizes the talents of those who are playing. Anyone can look good when you have Joe Montana or Dan Marino or Tom Brady. Show me what you can do with lesser talent. McDaniels has shown me he can't get the job done because his system doesn't fit the personnel he has. His look of exasperation on the sideline late in the Seattle game shows me he's frustrated and really has no clue how to get anything going. By extension, Bradford and the offense then lose confidence.

    As much as I'd like Spags to be a part of the solution and as much as many of us don't want to see change here yet again, I think it's needed. It's just not working. The record speaks for itself. Performance wise, we're no better off than we were three years ago. We're not only unable to take advantage of a bad division, we're worse than these teams. And while some of these injuries are bad luck and can't be prevented, you'll never in a million years convince me that a lot of them (sprains, muscle injuries, etc ) aren't simply from a poor conditioning program and a lack of toughness. This team has been banged up from day 1 and there's NO WAY that should be the case.

    I've said it before. Bring Jeff Fisher in here. His teams are tough. They're disciplined. He won in some seasons despite lesser talent. He's high energy. He's defensive minded yet has a clue about offensive football, as Steve McNair was successful for a lot of years. He's available. Go get him.


  2. #2
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have the privilege of being a high school coach. I've been a part of some excellent teams and have also coached some teams who were not sucessful. Certainly, there are elements to coaching high school that are very different from being a professional coach, but at the end of the day coaching is coaching. You do the very best job you can to bring guys together and win games. Coaching is teaching. Coaching is about adjustments. Coaching is about recognizing talent. My observations lead me to believe Spags is a good defensive coordinator and a guy who has his team playing hard most of the time despite the futility, and that is a tribute to him. But where he and the rest of the staff come up woefully short is in the area of game planning and in-game adjustments and utilizing his personnel properly.

    It is absolutely critical that you adjust your game plan and adjust your playcalling to fit the skill sets of those who are playing. If I have a poor offensive team in baseball, I am going to play small ball- bunt, steal, hit and run- do everything I can do to generate offense and put pressure on the defense. If I have a slow basketball team, I am going to slow the game down- not get into a run and gun contest with my opponent. And if I have one of the best backs in football, I'm sure as hell not going to spread him out, completely neutralize him and make him one-dimensional. I'm not going to isolate my franchise QB with the bad ankle with minimal protection and put him on an island. I'm going to recognize my offensive line stinks and call plays accordingly to maximize their ability to be successful.

    To me, there is no better example of this than with Josh McDaniels. He appears incapable of preparing a sound offensive game plan which best utilizes the talents of those who are playing. Anyone can look good when you have Joe Montana or Dan Marino or Tom Brady. Show me what you can do with lesser talent. McDaniels has shown me he can't get the job done because his system doesn't fit the personnel he has. His look of exasperation on the sideline late in the Seattle game shows me he's frustrated and really has no clue how to get anything going. By extension, Bradford and the offense then lose confidence.

    As much as I'd like Spags to be a part of the solution and as much as many of us don't want to see change here yet again, I think it's needed. It's just not working. The record speaks for itself. Performance wise, we're no better off than we were three years ago. We're not only unable to take advantage of a bad division, we're worse than these teams. And while some of these injuries are bad luck and can't be prevented, you'll never in a million years convince me that a lot of them (sprains, muscle injuries, etc ) aren't simply from a poor conditioning program and a lack of toughness. This team has been banged up from day 1 and there's NO WAY that should be the case.

    I've said it before. Bring Jeff Fisher in here. His teams are tough. They're disciplined. He won in some seasons despite lesser talent. He's high energy. He's defensive minded yet has a clue about offensive football, as Steve McNair was successful for a lot of years. He's available. Go get him.
    This is well written and I agree with most of it... I don't think any coach in the league could take this current roster and get them into the playoffs, yeah there might be some that could take this beat up roster and find a way to get a win or two more out of them, but that's not going to do much for me.

    I agree Spags is more into the D then the offense and has let McD run the show on offense. I have been thinking the Rams made a huge mistake with McD. They should have hired a west coast coach that could continue with what Sam had learned in his rookie year, Spags would have more control over it, as it is now Spags now has to watch and cringe with this poor offense.

    I'm not going to debate weather Spags should stay or go, I will leave that up to the owner if and when he ever speaks....

  3. #3
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Coaching

    Honestly, what I believe is going to happen is the following:

    1. Spags and Devaney will stay. They will be given at least half a season next year to show significant progress.
    2. Many of the assistant coaches will be fired and replaced.
    3. Stan will make Spags hire a dedicated ASSISTANT HEAD COACH to take off some of the responsibilities so Spags can get more involved. One of the knocks on Spags is that he likes to be involved in too much.

    They will have to win and win quickly to stay afloat.

  4. #4
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,463
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Honestly, what I believe is going to happen is the following:

    1. Spags and Devaney will stay. They will be given at least half a season next year to show significant progress.
    2. Many of the assistant coaches will be fired and replaced.
    3. Stan will make Spags hire a dedicated ASSISTANT HEAD COACH to take off some of the responsibilities so Spags can get more involved. One of the knocks on Spags is that he likes to be involved in too much.

    They will have to win and win quickly to stay afloat.
    You might be right, Infiniti. Everything you've said is plausible. It will be interesting to finally hear from Stan and see how all of this shakes out.

  5. #5
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,147
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Coaching

    Once again I think our defense is over-achieving based on talent. Kudos to both Spags and Flajole --- I hope they are both here next season.

    I would like to give our offense 1 more shot with a #1 Draft Pick WR and a full off-season in this scheme.

    I really think we have to be aggressive in the off-season. Jason Brown will be gone and Jason Smith could be cut if we can sign a Free Agent OT ...

  6. #6
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Honestly, what I believe is going to happen is the following:

    1. Spags and Devaney will stay. They will be given at least half a season next year to show significant progress.
    2. Many of the assistant coaches will be fired and replaced.
    3. Stan will make Spags hire a dedicated ASSISTANT HEAD COACH to take off some of the responsibilities so Spags can get more involved. One of the knocks on Spags is that he likes to be involved in too much.

    They will have to win and win quickly to stay afloat.
    Im done with Devaney and Spags at this point.? There is no point in keeping them any longer. I hope this team can at long last, get a good GM. PLEASE.?
    GO RAMS

  7. #7
    Fettmaster's Avatar
    Fettmaster is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,305
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Coaching

    SpagVeney is a hindrance to this team. If they're brought back, we will find the only thing that stays consistent is the losing. If Stan saw the empty stadium in STL on Sunday he must know its time to make a business decision for this team, and make the change.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -11-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.

  8. #8
    RAMarkable is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,114
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I've said it before. Bring Jeff Fisher in here. His teams are tough. They're disciplined. He won in some seasons despite lesser talent. He's high energy. He's defensive minded yet has a clue about offensive football, as Steve McNair was successful for a lot of years. He's available. Go get him.
    Great thread, NJ. I especially agree with your comments on Jeff Fisher. I was always impressed with how his teams played with resolve and toughness. To me the Titans were never really all that talented; not a lot of Pro Bowlers or elite players, just a bunch of "lunch pail" guys that played tough, solid football. Not the prettiest style but hard-nosed and effective.

    Initially I had hoped that Spags would bring this kind of football to St. Louis, but as of now I am very disappointed to say the least.

    You said it best: Fish is available. Go get him.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  9. #9
    live4ramin's Avatar
    live4ramin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Missouri Low Country
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Coaching

    Get rid of the staff on the offensive side of the ball.

    Find men of experience who can be available to mentor, guide, and generaly bounce things off of; a concigleary, if you will. Or at the least a coaching staff that has a damn clue. The coaches should be a collective "braintrust". I just don't see it.
    "The horror"

  10. #10
    mh-i's Avatar
    mh-i is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,298
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Get rid of the staff on the offensive side of the ball.

    Find men of experience who can be available to mentor, guide, and generaly bounce things off of; a concigleary, if you will. Or at the least a coaching staff that has a damn clue. The coaches should be a collective "braintrust". I just don't see it.
    How many Rams practices have any of you attended this season? Give me a break.

  11. #11
    sinzroman Guest

    Re: Coaching

    Like I said in another post, McInexperience has to go. Denver got rid of him for a reason and the Patriots had enough talent that Ramavenger could have been their offensive coordinator. Let Spags continue to build the defense.

  12. #12
    39WillRunYaOva's Avatar
    39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    538
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Coaching

    My heart is telling me give spags another shot.....but the other half of my heart says kick him to the curb now!!! lol idk honestly i wish our owner would at least say something because his disappearing act all season has me concerned.We need to do something tho this clearly isnt working....but im tired of rebuilding seriously we have some cornerstone players to build and with a good Draft and FA i think we can be good next season,with Jeff Fisher or a new HC but i dont know if Spags has the balls to be a good head coach.

  13. #13
    lostsoul's Avatar
    lostsoul is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    629
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Coaching

    What do you guys think about Dom Capers or Mike Mularkey as head coach?

    I know Capers hasnt had a lot of success as a head coach but he's been phenominal in Green Bay, And Mularkey is one of the best at making special packages for certain players and offensive game planning.
    Last edited by lostsoul; -11-23-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. This is all on the coaching and..
    By supachump in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: -10-24-2010, 10:14 PM
  2. The coaching is getting better... Much Better.
    By BarronWade in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-15-2009, 08:15 PM
  3. Isn't our coaching job different?
    By Tony Soprano in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -01-06-2009, 08:32 PM
  4. Coaching Rumors
    By Nick in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -01-08-2006, 11:14 PM
  5. Coaching Changes
    By txramsfan in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -01-13-2002, 07:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •