View Poll Results: Should we switch to a 3-4 defense?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.41%
  • No

25 92.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A coaching change?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

A coaching change?

A lot of people here seem to think Spags will be gone at the end of the year. If we bring in a new coach, he will bring in his own DC. How do you guys feel about switching to the 3-4?

It would take the upcoming offseason to get more acclimated to it. Get the players to fit the scheme. But if you have a foundation, you can have a really solid defense.

Quinn I think would be an absolute terror in the 3-4 coming off the edge. I think Long would be impressive too. We'd need to get new defensive lineman.

Bannan could play end. Robbins could play end at times too. Darell Scott would be nice down there. We'd need a few big body additions, and a NT. I think we should stay with a 4-3 because of the growing pains we'd have from a 3-4.

So this brings the question. Do you think we should switch to a 3-4?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: A coaching change?

I think there is more right with our defense than there is wrong. Less injuries, a couple of more additions and we will be fine on the D side. Heck... we held the a Superbowl contender scoreless for one half.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Our front seven, plus or minus a few additions, is generally okay for now. Our secondary is what scares me.
    AlphaRam likes this.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Why in the hell are you even proposing a defense change? The scheme we have isn't bad - we are missing people in the secondary and Fred Robbins seems to have his age catching up with him...
    RockinRam likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Why in the hell are you even proposing a defense change? The scheme we have isn't bad - we are missing people in the secondary and Fred Robbins seems to have his age catching up with him...
    Im aware of that, and that is why I said we should stay in the same defensive scheme. Maybe you should take a break from the forums....I see the losses have a heavy impact on you...

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I agree with sosa on this Alpha, you used to be funny now you're just grumpy and depressing.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Im aware of that, and that is why I said we should stay in the same defensive scheme. Maybe you should take a break from the forums....I see the losses have a heavy impact on you...
    If the losses haven't impacted Alpha, they sure have impacted ME, I'm going MENTAL, with loss, after loss and the way we are losing, makes me want to consider looking for the Nearest "shower rod and rope".

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I agree with sosa on this Alpha, you used to be funny now you're just grumpy and depressing.
    C'mon Mikhal, at 0-5 we've all the right to be grumpy. I was snappish all day yesterday and evening too. It's not easy being a Ram fan these days. I agree with Alpha that it isn't our scheme that needs changing, but we could use a few more good players. Our secondary is scary, and not the kind of "scary" we want. Everyone was praising Spags when we started winning last year and our defense was starting to look solid. I have no idea if Spags will still be our coach at the end of the year, but right now he is, and as such has my full support. That doesn't mean I don't cuss him out when he decides to punt in the 4th quarter when we've nothing to lose (IMO) by going for it - but he's the man for now, and being paid to do what he thinks is best for the team. At the end of the year we'll see where we are at in that department ..

As far as 3-4 vs 4-3, it all depends on personnel, and right now we are built for the 4-3. It doesn't matter that much which is used, if a team doesn't have good players to execute it ..

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Puberty?

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Kinda tired of throwing seasons away to get acclimated. Seems like we've been getting acclimated for about 38 of the last 40 years. At 44, I feel like I'm running outta time .....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

The 4-3 is all about d-line strength which we have. The 3-4 is about good linebacker play which we dont have. I think switching schemes would make things worse for our personnel group.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    The 4-3 is all about d-line strength which we have. The 3-4 is about good linebacker play which we dont have. I think switching schemes would make things worse for our personnel group.
    Our d-line still has question marks IMO. Robert Quinn leaves much to be desired, and Chris Long didn't look overly impressive against an inexperienced Bryan Bulaga. Plus James Hall seems like his age is finally catching up, as he has had back problems this whole season. Robbins and Bannan are looking pretty old in the middle too.

I'm not sold on our d-line yet.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Our d-line still has question marks IMO. Robert Quinn leaves much to be desired, and Chris Long didn't look overly impressive against an inexperienced Bryan Bulaga. Plus James Hall seems like his age is finally catching up, as he has had back problems this whole season. Robbins and Bannan are looking pretty old in the middle too.

I'm not sold on our d-line yet.
    I agree, I think I should phrase my argument a little better. Our D-line is the strongest part of our defense right now. If not for all the injuries I think our Secondary would be the highlight of the defense but we all know how that turned out. Regardless of injuries, with the personnel we have right now I still think our Line is better then our linebacking corp.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

If spags goes mcdaniels better go with him.

3-4 or 4-3? regardless we need better athletes in secondary

the way we are playing my question is what do we do with the Luck pick?

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Actually, yeah, the losses do irritate the hell out of me. But aside from that, we still have 11 games this season, yet you are using the transitive property to discuss changing the defense. If Publishers Clearinghouse comes to my house and gives me a million dollars, then I will be a millionaire. One small problem - I didn't enter their contest, so that doesn't really work. Following that logic, since the season isn't over and the coach hasn't been fired - therefore, the "new" coach has not been hired yet - therefore, the "new" DC hasn't been hired yet - therefore, the discussion of which defense we will use going forward is a moot point.

Aside from this thread, you posted that gem of a thread titled "Why are you so upset?" with the leading statement of "Did you guys honestly think that we would beat the Packers?". I guess none of us should have any hope when we face an opponent?

I am sure that I could dig further, but hopefully you get the point.

Transitive property: If a = b and b = c, then a = c.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast