throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: The coaching staff is gutless...

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I guess someone might have learned a lesson today...

1) Don't start a bashing thread if the game is still going on....

Anyway, here we go with the same old excuse. If we lose, its usually Pat Shurmurs fault according to a lot of people here. Yet when we win, they have nothing good to say.

Have to agree. Unfair to blame Shurmur when we lose yet not give him any credit whatsoever when we win. You can't have it both ways.

I thought his playcalling for the most part was pretty good today. As mentioned by Infiniti, there were multiple shots downfield. There were 3-4 end around runs which mixed it up a bit. Alexander got involved. Not unhappy with the offense today except for two areas:

One, was after the Amendola 80 yard return, we ran three ultra conservative running plays which fooled no one and were stuffed immediately. I guess they didn't want to run the risk of throwing a pick or getting sacked when a guaranteed 3 points were on the table, but a TD there ices the game by putting us up by 12 instead of 8. Nitpicking? Maybe. But I'd have liked to have seen a more aggressive approach there.

And although I do not agree with the OP's decision to rip the coaches 1/4 of the way through the game, there ARE WAAAAY too many 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 situations in which Sam throws over the middle to a receiver who has run a four yard pattern. It's maddening. What happened to knowing where the 1st down marker is and running a route accordingly??

OldSchoolRamFan is online now Registered User

All I can do is read stuff like this and smile. No matter the case, I will always have a positive outlook and believe that it WILL happen for us. To me, that is what is fun. If you want to waste your time whining and feeling negative when there is still a chance to learn, improve, and overcome, then more power to you. In the meantime, LETS DO THIS NEXT WEEKEND!!!! GO RAMS!!!
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Not at the time the thread was started.

Interestingly, I notice that Shurmur discovered his creativity once the crowd started booing. I guess he has a survival instinct after all.

I think the methodology of this team was exposed today. Spags wants to play conservatively on offense. He wants to feed Jackson frequently. When Spags saw they couldn't run it effectively, he give the reigns to Shurmur to open it up ...

And he did ....

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I think the methodology of this team was exposed today. Spags wants to play conservatively on offense. He wants to feed Jackson frequently. When Spags saw they couldn't run it effectively, he give the reigns to Shurmur to open it up ...

And he did ....
    Exactamundo amigo. Rams ran some trickery plays -- one of them, Amendola's pass, yielded a TD-producing penalty -- and then Bradford let it loose on that bomb to DX, also a TD-producing subsequent play.

I'd say that qualifies for decent play calling from the OC. At least a C+ / B- .

bruce4life is online now Registered User

When I posted this article I was pissed to say the least as the Rams drives continued to stall on 3rd aka the money down.... This thread was meant for the whole coaching staff. I know Shurmer isnt playing with a full deck or all of his weapons, it just seems like he gets a little too vanilla on third downs and it was driving me crazy today..

A WIN IS AWIN IS A WIN AND I OVERLOOKED THAT...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    When I posted this article I was pissed to say the least as the Rams drives continued to stall on 3rd aka the money down.... This thread was meant for the whole coaching staff. I know Shurmer isnt playing with a full deck or all of his weapons, it just seems like he gets a little too vanilla on third downs and it was driving me crazy today..

Yeah, I know. I live about 60 miles from you and I hear you all the way over here.

Truth be told, I wasn't any better. I was P.O'd when they went up 14-12.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post

Bruce, you obviously care about the rams and you were upset at an area that has many Ram fans scratching their head. A win is a win is a win and we are headed to Seattle for big game, hang in there and let's see what we do next weekend.

I will say it was nice to see the hurry up work so well and the offense clicking in second half.

lovetheramsnomatterw is offline Registered User

I think we should go no huddle a lot more because it seems the offense plays a lot better when they are in no huddle. Although, the blocking in the running game has to improve if we want to win next week against Seattle.

However, I do agree that the play-calling has me scratching my head sometimes but I did like the fact that we went down the field today. We were more aggressive than usual and we got the win.

The defense played well throughout the game but only had one really bad play. The pass to Crabtree but I don't even think that pass was intended for him. It was luck!

Anyway, good game and I hope we keep opening up the field more.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

And he did ....

So I'm confused. Was the first drive that saw us throw 4 times at 4 different receivers and only rush 3 times, one being from the 1, that resulted in a touchdown part of Spags conservative methodology that doesn't work?

Or did Spags realize it wouldn't work before the game so he gave Shurmur the right to open it up before kick off?

Or did Shurmur go off script for the first drive and after the td Spags called up there and said "cut that out"!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lovetheramsnomatterw View Post
    I think we should go no huddle a lot more because it seems the offense plays a lot better when they are in no huddle. Although, the blocking in the running game has to improve if we want to win next week against Seattle.

However, I do agree that the play-calling has me scratching my head sometimes but I did like the fact that we went down the field today. We were more aggressive than usual and we got the win.

The defense played well throughout the game but only had one really bad play. The pass to Crabtree but I don't even think that pass was intended for him. It was luck!

Anyway, good game and I hope we keep opening up the field more.
    I agree with the no huddle. Did anyone notice in todays game, that on one of our plays (with no stoppage in play between), the official stood over the ball, to prevent the play from starting? The RAMs were in a no huddle, and it looked like they were trying to catch the niners unprepared. I guess the officials had other plans.

It looks like in no huddle, Bradford has the option to pick his own plays. Without it, Shurmur has a chance to call from his shell.

gap

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Play calling was quite a bit better this game, especially taking shots down the field, which at the very least, keeps 'em honest so they don't just crowd the line of scrimmage. And low and behold, it actually works too, with DX catching a huge game changing pass that led to an ACTUAL TD by the Rams, and another pass that led to a PI and a TD.

But it is a little bit of a mixed bag with Spagnolo believing that his defense is up there with the 85 Bears, given the way we start trying to run out the clock every single time we get a lead, and run on 3rd and long. I've got news for him...playing some mediocre teams all year long and ranking 15th, is not something to brag about. This team is WAY too vulnerable against the pass. It looks great for 2 downs when we crowd the line of scrimmage and they try to run, or throw a quick out, but as soon as they get to 3rd and 6+, we are exposed.

Have to add, although the 4449eeerrs have a good D, I'm tired of SJ not being productive. He's too big and slow to get through a hole that closes quickly in the NFL. We really need to find a better fit for this offense. A Westbrook type, in his heyday. Yes, Jackson usually breaks into the open field a couple times per game and plows a few people over and then pounds his chest, but I wouldn't bet on us running for a first down on 3rd and 2. He is a warrior and has given his heart to this team, and is a leader, but that doesn't make up for the fact that he's big and slow...slower than he was 5 years ago. He only makes our poor run blocking worse because he has no speed/acceleration to improvise and/or cut-back. Once he stops his momentum going forward, he is a HUGE liability. We could probably get a 1st round pick for him and draft a younger faster guy, like the Patriots have done with solid veterans that still have value before the value starts to turn. I realize we still have 1 (hopefully 2-3) games left and need to ride Jackson to the finish line, but ultimitely, I think we need to find a younger and faster tailback.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Wait we won the game...
    We saw fake reverse passes...
    We saw 2 reverses in the same game.....
    The game plan to spread this tough defense out in order to give our team the advantage was solid....

And we did win the game...right? Why the anger?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Have to add, although the 4449eeerrs have a good D, I'm tired of SJ not being productive. He's too big and slow to get through a hole that closes quickly in the NFL. We really need to find a better fit for this offense. A Westbrook type, in his heyday. Yes, Jackson usually breaks into the open field a couple times per game and plows a few people over and then pounds his chest, but I wouldn't bet on us running for a first down on 3rd and 2. He is a warrior and has given his heart to this team, and is a leader, but that doesn't make up for the fact that he's big and slow...slower than he was 5 years ago. He only makes our poor run blocking worse because he has no speed/acceleration to improvise and/or cut-back. Once he stops his momentum going forward, he is a HUGE liability. We could probably get a 1st round pick for him and draft a younger faster guy, like the Patriots have done with solid veterans that still have value before the value starts to turn. I realize we still have 1 (hopefully 2-3) games left and need to ride Jackson to the finish line, but ultimitely, I think we need to find a younger and faster tailback.
    Unless you plan on finding the next Barry Sanders with blocking like he got today even a westbrook type would have been shutdown. Our o-line was getting pushed into his face all game long. Hard to get momentum going if you have to stop as soon as you get the ball. Sure we will need a replacement for Jackson who will eventually take over for S-Jax, but blaming him for todays running performance is just wrong. Jackson is not slow, and is by far not the problem with this running game. No running back is successful behind a line that doesnt open holes. Dickerson,Emmitt Smith,Walter Peyton and Marshall Faulk are only as good as their o-lines make them. Jackson did make a couple individual efforts today when the o-line broke down but you cant do that play after play.

I don't know if you have noticed but the Patriots have one of the best o-lines in the league. Brady could pitch a tent back there and roast some dogs with the amount of time he gets to throw. Brady also helps the run game because he is a huge threat. Teams have to respect him and the o-line opens huge hole for B.J.G.E to run through. Throw Ellis behind this o-line and he looks ten times worse then Jackson. What I saw today was Jackson running to where there was supposed to be a hole and there was no hole there at all. Jackson had nothing to do with the running games poor performance. Give the man some holes to hit and he will produce just like he has all year.
    Just Fix It

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Wait we won the game...
    We saw fake reverse passes...
    We saw 2 reverses in the same game.....
    The game plan to spread this tough defense out in order to give our team the advantage was solid....

And we did win the game...right? Why the anger?
    I think the anger has subsided for most who were angry. However, I've learned once someone becomes a scapegoat, they pretty much can't do anything right to the fans, even if they do everything right. All the blame for losses and no credit for wins is generally how it goes for scapegoats.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think Shurmur has been doing better lately, but the three run plays after that long kickoff is a losing strategy against most teams. When a TD is right there for the taking, you need to at least try. That 3 play sequence was just cowardly and that is how so many games slipped away this year.

Overall, I have stopped focusing on Shurmur, because I think the O-Line is more responsible for the ups and downs during the various games. Although, Shurmur does crawl in a hole sometimes and his lack of aggression has cost us games I would imagine.

I think that as Bradford matures we won't be talking about Shurmur and his meek playcalling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast