Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Coakley will return to Rams

Quote Originally Posted by majorram
    better to see, than take the cap hit.
    Exactly. He's going to cost us no matter what we do, since his retiring or being cut would accelerate the rest of his bonus. So why not keep him around and see if he can at least contribute? I don't see how this is bad at all.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

maineram is offline Registered User

Both Coakley and Claiborne were paid to come in here and start. Not that expensive starters either, but they were never "starters" in Lovies scheme, they were 1st down players then standing on the sideline the rest of the series.
    We need a "good, playmaking" linebacker to come in here through free agency, whether it be inside backer or out. At that point we could draft a future star, if one of the top linebackers are there at our first round pick, then let them all go into training camp with all positions wide open. The playmaker pickup and Pisa should stand out and separate themselves from most of the pack then we may have Coakley and Claiborne as then, high priced depth.
    All our current linebackers should get a second look with this new staff. I always thought that Chillar looked decent when he was out there, and now has a handful of games as some needed gametime experience. But we shouldn't fool ourselves that a significant upgrade is going to happen with this same group in just a 6 month period. I would love that to happen and see our struggling backers of last year, all step up and play some dominating defense. Then the question of, " is at Marmie or the talent" will be answered. I don't want to have another season wasted with the, " WE should be fine with this group", and blow another season with the talent we do have on the offensive side of the ball.

This same theory should go for the D-line and secondary also.

We have a young and hungry staff that want to make a name for themselves as well as continue the overall good won/loss record that Martz has established for this franchise.

Maineram -

Maineram
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    You also have to consider his injury. That wasn't a little jam your toe incident it was a broken ankle and leg I thing.
    broken bones are fine. its injuries to ligaments that are the killers.

mh-i is offline Registered User

I'd rather see Coakley come back then take the cap hit. That said, the reason Coakley and Claiborne weren't on the field much as the season progressed is because they were major busts. It's no wonder that the Rams played their best defensive game of the year against Dallas with 7 of their opening day starters not in the line-up. Some of the apologist fans need to take ownership of the fact that the Rams D stunk it up last year largely because the Rams PLAYERS didn't get it done ON the field. I'm glad Marmie is gone but too, but at the same time I don't want to see the same 11 that started last year starting in 2006. If that happens you will see close to the same result. When you come close to leading the NFL in points allowed it's time to make changes. First step, dump the coach. DONE. Second step, dump some players. That's coming.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Guys guys vetrans or not they were in a new playbook on a new team under larry's god awful defence. Give them a little adjustment time. See what they have this year especially if we are running a 3-4 we will need alot of LB depth we bring in a couple of good players and we could have a good scheme. Claiborne from what I have seen of him in a Lion/viking game was decent. Especially if you wanna stop the run. needs some help on pass D though

mh-i is offline Registered User

The only viable issue with either Coakley or Claiborne coming back is whether the Rams take a cap hit. As has been said in earlier threads, we don't need dead cap money. If they can play, fine. Still no doubt that niether showed anything last season.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Keep in mind that Dex is also a special teams stud. I'm sure Martz was afraid to use him on special teams but Linehan won't be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12