Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Coats Blog: Chavous out, McCollum @ LG, Linehan says benching Bulger was his call

A day to remember at Rams Park
    By Bill Coats
    10/03/2007 5:53 pm

The wags who cover the Rams on a daily basis have a pet saying: Never a dull day at 1 Rams Way (the address for Rams Park). Wednesday was one of the least dull days in recent memory.

Early during practice, coach Scott Linehan marched off the field and over to a group of reporters - an extremely rare occurrence – to deliver the news that he would start Gus Frerotte at quarterback Sunday so that Marc Bulger can rest his cracked ribs and achy knee.

Just two days earlier, Linehan had staunchly defended Bulger and vowed that he would start again this week. After practice, Linehan elaborated, explaining that after watching tape of the last three games, he concluded that Bulger was too banged-up to perform effectively.

Linehan wasn’t finished: He also disclosed that he would call the plays vs. Arizona, replacing offensive coordinator Greg Olson. The Rams’ offense has produced just two touchdowns during the 0-4 start, and no touchdowns since the first quarter of the second game.

On the field, Richie Incognito was back at right guard. He’s been out since mid-August with a high-ankle sprain. His return, plus the knee injury suffered Sunday by Adam Goldberg, created even more shuffling on the offensive line: Claude Terrell and Andy McCollum shared reps at left guard, and Milford Brown and Brandon Gorin alternated at right tackle.

On defense, Jerome Carter and Todd Johnson worked at strong safety, with the expectation that Corey Chavous will be out Sunday with a pectoral injury. Plus, Fakhir Brown was back after serving his four-game ban. He’ll start Sunday; Lenny Walls won’t, as he recovers from burns inflicted by Cowboys wideout Patrick Crayton.

And finally, punter Donnie Jones is now the holder for kicker Jeff Wilkins, with Dane Looker on crutches because of a severe thigh bruise that will keep him sidelined at least a week.

Linehan firmly denied that the determination to sit Bulger was forced on him by higher-ups in the organization. “That decision was made solely, 100 percent by me. The decision to play him (last week) was 100 percent made by myself. Any theories on anything out there that is said is absolutely not true. That’s been my decision.”

Meeting with reporters in the locker room, Bulger obviously was disappointed by Linehan’s decision. But he said he understood it.

“I was never going to pull myself out, I know that much,” he said. “It’s real easy to play hurt when you’re winning, but it’s not in me to pull myself when we’re 0-4. So, it was going to have to be the coaches that pulled me out and that’s what happened. . . .

“If (Linehan) feels that this is the best thing for the team . . . I’m behind him a hundred percent. I wish I was playing, but at the same time if he feels this will help us win and maybe help us later in the season . . . we trust him.”

In another area of the room, Frerotte was explaining that the QB change wouldn’t affect the way he and Bulger go about their business.

“I think Marc and I handle it professionally, we handle it as men and we take control of it and see it as what it is,” Frerotte said. “We talked about it, we’re still friends and we’re never going to let anything like this change it. It’s a business thing, and we have to let him heal up. I told him, ‘You have to help me like when I help you during the games.’ That’s just how it goes. We’re professionals and you just handle it that way.”

All for now. . .

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Coats Blog: Chavous out, McCollum @ LG, Linehan says benching Bulger was his call

I really hope Carter gets the nod! I'll be excited to see him!
    RamsFan16

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: Coats Blog: Chavous out, McCollum @ LG, Linehan says benching Bulger was his call

Scott Linehan is a knob

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Lenny Walls won’t, as he recovers from burns inflicted by Cowboys wideout Patrick Crayton.
    LOL now that is funny.

Looks like some good changes...very glad to see McCollum worked into the mix, just a shame it took this long.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

yeah im happy for andy...i love corey...but id also love to see carter play...and the walls thing is great

Rambos is offline Registered User

“If (Linehan) feels that this is the best thing for the team . . . I’m behind him a hundred percent. I wish I was playing, but at the same time if he feels this will help us win and maybe help us later in the season . . . we trust him.”
    Sounds like he still has control of the team.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Suddenly our offensive line looks slightly more respectable- play it out like this

LT--Alex Barron
    LG--Andy McCollum
    C--Brett Romberg
    RG--Richie Incognito
    RT--Revolving Door.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This could be the end for Chavous. Unless the RAMS want keep him around to run the kitchen. Walls will be lucky if he gets a bus boy job. I hope he's tight with Chavous.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    “I was never going to pull myself out, I know that much,” he said. “It’s real easy to play hurt when you’re winning, but it’s not in me to pull myself when we’re 0-4. So, it was going to have to be the coaches that pulled me out and that’s what happened. . . .
    I think this is something Linehan ought to have realized sooner. Coach trusts his players, but sometimes he ought to step back and realize that the player can't always be objective about this kind of thing. I am glad he is going to go with Gus next game.

It ought to be interesting to see how the play-calling changes with Linehan in charge. Maybe now that he's a little more situated in his role as a head coach, he'll be able to handle it better than last season. It would be nice to see some of the things that got him this job in the first place. I still maintain this could be a dangerous team if the offense ever got going. (Yes, I'm trying to be optimistic here.)

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

All good decisions that will help this team, it's just a scandal that it took so long. We should have had experienced McCollum in there long ago with all the changes on the O-line, and we should have had Frerotte in there too, Bulger was unable to play at a high enough level to start with his injuries it was plain to see to anyone.

Just two days earlier, Linehan had staunchly defended Bulger and vowed that he would start again this week. After practice, Linehan elaborated, explaining that after watching tape of the last three games, he concluded that Bulger was too banged-up to perform effectively.
    This actually shocks me, Linehan is basically admitting that he made the wrong call in starting Bulger with the injuries. What's more he only found out now (!) after watching the game film, gee coach didn't you get around to watching the tapes after each game? And the fact that Linehan had to scale back the offense for Bulger didn't give him any pointers whatsoever that maybe he should play the more than capable backup instead? How the heck doesn't Linehan watch the game tapes after every game and evaluate his players' performance? Linehan is leading this team like a chicken with its head cut off running around at random, now it looks like he's running in the right direction this week but that could be just by coincidence.

Cherry.and.White.Ram is offline Registered User

A day to remember at Rams Park
    Lenny Walls won’t, as he recovers from burns inflicted by Cowboys wideout Patrick Crayton.
    PMSL.

These burns must have come from when crayton was waltzing past him all through the game.

Bulger = plays with broken ribs

lenny walls = receives burns (LMAO) and needs to recover.

slap abit of anticeptic on and get on with it!