Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

COATS: More defensive shake-ups as Draft, Ryan, and Adeyanju get in the line-up

Shakeup on defense
    By Bill Coats
    09.24.2008 12:13 pm

If Wednesday’s practice was a true indication — and it usually is — the Rams might well have five new starters Sunday when they take on the unbeaten Buffalo Bills at the Dome.

We knew Tuesday that Trent Green was taking over for Marc Bulger at quarterback. It also looks as if four lineup changes are coming on defense:

*Cornerback Fakhir Brown, who started in Tye Hill’s place Sunday at Seattle, was released Wednesday morning. Hill was back in the lineup at practice.

*Clifton Ryan was at defensive tackle, replacing La’Roi Glover.

*Victor Adeyanju was at defensive end, in James Hall’s spot. (We don’t know yet whether Leonard Little will be healthy enough to play this week.) Adeyanju was on the left side, with Chris Long back on the right side.

*Chris Draft was at strongside linebacker, taking over for Quinton Culberson.

Give coach Scott Linehan at least some credit: He vowed to make changes, and it looks as if he has. Of course, with the Rams dead last in total defense in the league, it really was a no-brainer.

All for now . . . more after we talk with Linehan.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: COATS: More defensive shake-ups as Draft, Ryan, and Adeyanju get in the line-up

Well...I was always for Ryan playing next to Carriker. THey did a pretty good job of it last year. Why not continue what was going good?

Draft, I'm not sure about. I mean, Culberson has been doing good. Why not start him over Pisa who has done jack squat nothing?

Adeyanju...hmm. I hope something good comes of this. I'm not against him, I like him as a player. Good thing they didn't start him over Long. I hope Little comes back soon....

Hill??? YUCK!

DieHard23 is offline Registered User

Re: COATS: More defensive shake-ups as Draft, Ryan, and Adeyanju get in the line-up

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Well...I was always for Ryan playing next to Carriker. THey did a pretty good job of it last year. Why not continue what was going good?

Draft, I'm not sure about. I mean, Culberson has been doing good. Why not start him over Pisa who has done jack squat nothing?

Adeyanju...hmm. I hope something good comes of this. I'm not against him, I like him as a player. Good thing they didn't start him over Long. I hope Little comes back soon....

Hill??? YUCK!
    Ryan - WooHoo!

Draft - eh. couldn't hurt.

Adeyanju - Maybe he can help with the run defense?

Hill - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Mooselini, just curious, on what basis do you conclude that Culberson has been "doing good"? I don't feel strongly either way, but how many tackles has the guy made in three weeks? Someone is missing a ton of tackles out there (of course really the entire defense is).

Not being critical, just curious as to your thought process.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

You're right GC, come to think about it. I don't know which way to go with this though...Culberson showed some promise last year. I think I am just going off of that.

Pisa hasn't been what he used to be. He's got the heart, just lost the talent. Try Draft at both sides I guess.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard23 View Post
    Ryan - WooHoo!

Draft - eh. couldn't hurt.

Adeyanju - Maybe he can help with the run defense?

Hill - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If you remember, Adeyanju got a sack on a major bull rush against the Giants. Screw helping the run, he could help the pass rush also. Adeyanju is a strong, imposing DE ....

This definitely makes me want to tune in more than ever this week. Long, Carriker, Ryan, and Adeyanju, all starting?!?!?!? Could be our line of the future!

Marc Bulger Fan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Why is Hill still in there? He is the one that should be benched.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I've not been keeping track of the backers, so the Draft move is a wash for me, experience replacing fresher legs.

Brown's release is another thread and I hope there's something else behind it, as he was our best corner last year, and no worse than second to bartell this year.

Ryan breaking into the starting lineup is 3 games too late. He might not be as complete as Glover is, due to his experience, but he's stronger, and a whole lot more hungry than Glover is. I equate Glover to kinda like Justin Tuck last year, minus the DE play. Put him inside on 3rd down and let him be a situational pass rusher. He'll stay fresher, and I bet we get good 1st and 2nd down production out of Ryan. Love the move.

As for Adeyanju, he has come on this year, getting some pressure on the QB and being a good run stopper as he always been. I think with more time he could become a Justin Tuck, 3rd DE and a pass rusher inside type player. Taking Hall out for him I think means one of two things, Little's coming back, but isn't ready yet, but they want to get Chris back on the Right side, OR, they know what they have in Hall, and want to get Victor that time I just mentioned. Otherwise, Hall has been playing pretty good, so I don't know why they'd take him out.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    If you remember, Adeyanju got a sack on a major bull rush against the Giants. Screw helping the run, he could help the pass rush also. Adeyanju is a strong, imposing DE ....
    Add to this the fact that James Hall was more or less responsible for the Julius Jones TD run after Hall allowed him to slip out of a virtual bear hug and scamper into the endzone. I like this move.

Truth is offline Registered User

I understand the concept of "shaking things up". However, if these guys are really better than the people they're replacing, and our staff had the off season, training camp, pre-season, and 2 regular season games (not counting 3rd game because changes are now being made) to evaluate talent and ability, why weren't these guys in before now??

Just askin'
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Starting Linebacker stats for the first 3 games of this season:

Witherspoon 18 tackles, 4 assist, 1 sack
    Tinoisamoa 11/4/0
    Culberson 9/1/0

Not sure if these numbers tell how well or poorly a LB is playing?

FYI

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

Tinoisamoa 11/4/0
    Culberson 9/1/0

FYI
    Those numbers are subpar for all three backers ...

A weak group at this point, Witherspoon included ...

Ben56 is offline Registered User

Tinoisamoa 11/4/0
    Culberson 9/1/0

FYI

What is more telling is where the tackles are made. A tackle by a linebacker more than 3 yds downfield on a run is not an example of a guy making a play. On a pass its a little different. A pass defended or a pass stopped without YAC or on third down for less than the necessary ydg should also count.

I looked at this after last Sunday's game and my memory is that 5 of Witherspoon's tackles came behind or within 3 yds of the line of scrimmage.

I think Culberson had one stop for less than 3 and Tiniosamoa had one pass defended.

This of course doesnt take into account tackles missed.

Probably the best way to evaluate LB play is by total rushing yds per game.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Tinoisamoa 11/4/0
    Culberson 9/1/0

FYI
    NFL.com stats

Leading tacklers for the LB position

Name-Tackles/Assist/Sacks
    1. D'qwell Jackson 17/15/0
    2. Dhani Jones 19/13/0
    3. London Fletcher 19/12/0 (Don't say it )
    4. Freddie Keiaho 23/8/0
    5. Jonathan Vilma 18/10/0
    6. D J Williams 23/5/1
    7. Gary Brackett 18/9/0
    8. A J Hawk 19/7/2
    9. Nate Webster 17/9/0
    10. Jon Beason 20/5/0

FYI

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I understand the concept of "shaking things up". However, if these guys are really better than the people they're replacing, and our staff had the off season, training camp, pre-season, and 2 regular season games (not counting 3rd game because changes are now being made) to evaluate talent and ability, why weren't these guys in before now??

Just askin'
    ...Because the "better" guys weren't getting it done? That would be called a "shake up".

...it's all about production. Potential and experience doesn't mean squat if you're not producing. I think the moves are great. Now, it may not result in a "W", but perhaps it will make us competitive at least. If your number one isn't getting it done, go to the number two. Like Avis, maybe they'll try harder?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast