Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

[Coats]: Rams are miles-high in NFL

Rams are miles-high in NFL
    By Bill Coats
    08/09/2007 3:30 pm

The Rams will lead the NFL in at least one category this season: miles traveled. The team will jet 34,352 miles for its 10 away games (two preseason, eight regular season), according to research compiled by the NFL Network.

Next are three West Coast teams: Seattle, 33,586; San Diego, 28,298; and Oakland, 27,721. Who will travel the least? The New York Jets, 9,186 miles, and the Buffalo Bills, 9,972.

Among divisions, the NFC West racks up the most miles: 113,620. The NFC East travels the least: 53,571.

The Rams will visit Minnesota and Oakland in the preseason. Regular-season road games include divisional contests in San Francisco, Seattle and Arizona, plus stops at Tampa, Dallas, Baltimore, New Orleans and Cincinnati.

Rookie DT Adam Carriker’s pre-game ritual is designed to morph him into a “silent assassin.”

“I’m not a big hype guy; I don’t yell and scream and jump around,” explained Carriker, the team’s first-round draft pick. “I just get kind of quiet. I just sit there . . . it’s not like a meditation, it’s just kind of like I’m a silent assassin. I try to get in that mode, get ready mentally.”

Carriker and the rest of the Rams will square off with the Vikings on Friday night in Minnesota in the first of four preseason games.

The team had a walk-through Thursday morning, then flew to Minneapolis in mid-afternoon. The workout was closed to the media, so no notes to report. The players will get a day off Saturday, then resume training camp with one practice Sunday afternoon.

Until further notice, all practices are closed to the public because of the heat.

When the Rams signed TE Randy McMichael in the offseason, incumbent starter Joe Klopfenstein acknowledged some initial disappointment. Quickly, though, Klopfenstein decided that the move could benefit him after he was thrust into the lineup last year as rookie.

“I thought I could learn a lot from him,” Klopfenstein said. “I’m still a young player, got many years left, so I tried to turn it into a positive. It’s always nice to have a veteran player there when you come into the league.”

Here’s Linehan’s take on the battle for the job as the No. 3 running back between Rich Alexis, Kay-Jay Harris and Travis Minor:

“I had Travis for a year in Miami. In ’03 he started nine or 10 games for Miami. So, he has started in this league and was very productive. He was a great college player and is an excellent special-teams player. What he brings to the table is to take some snaps and play a role and also be really good on special teams. I think the deal with Rich is that he is a young guy who has never really been in a position to have a lot of carries. He has the best opportunity to do something he has never been able to do, and that is show what he can do in the preseason. He’ll get a number of snaps to compete for that spot, too, and also show that he can be a special-teamer. Kay-Jay has been here and has played some games for us on special teams and at tailback. He’ll be in the mix. We will make that assessment after we play these four games.”

All for now…

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Re: [Coats]: Rams are miles-high in NFL

Silent Assassin, eh? I like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.