MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A comparison of two wide receivers ..

Since it's the slow time of year for us football junkies, I thought it might be fun to note the similarities between a former standout Ram and a current 2010 draft pick: Az Zahir Hakim and Mardy Gilyard

I'll start with Az ..

Az-Zahir Hakim was selected 99th overall (4th rd) in 1998.
    Az's measureables at the time he was drafted were as follows:
    Height: 5'-9 & a half inches
    Weight: 175 lbs
    Forty yd dash: 4.45

Mardy Gilyard was selected 96th overall (4th rd) in 2010. Mardy's measurables are very similar:
    Height: 6'-0"
    Weight: 187 lbs
    Forty yard dash at the NFL combine: 4.56 .. However he ran a much faster 40 at his pro day ..

by Joe Fortenbaugh 3/10/10 (Joe I hear is good buddies with that Armen Dacity guy)

The University of Cincinnati hosted its pro day on Wednesday with several NFL representatives on hand to evaluate some of the nation’s top talent. Most notably, wide receiver Mardy Gilyard.

I just spoke with a league source who informed me that Gilyard ran a 4.44 and 4.51 in his two 40-yard-dash attempts on Wednesday—a big improvement from the 4.56 he turned in at the combine in Indianapolis at the end of February.

In addition, the wide receiver had a 38.5-inch vertical jump and ran the three-cone drill in 6.71 seconds.

Gilyard—one of college football’s most dangerous players in 2009—caught 87 passes for 1,191 yards with 11 touchdowns for the 12-1 Bearcats last season. He scored 22 receiving touchdowns in his last two years at Cincinnati.

Additionally both Az and Gilyard were very dangerous return men in college, and I see no reason why Mardy won't be able to contribute in that area immediately. At the college level, Mardy played his best against the best competition - he came up big in the biggest games. Anyone else think we may have a star in the making .. Thoughts??

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: A comparison of two wide receivers ..

Hopefully Mardy can hold on to the ball during returns!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: A comparison of two wide receivers ..

And hopefully Spags doesn't have the impatience of a child like Martz with Hakim if Gilyard accidentally makes a silly mistake because the poor guy has been through a lot.