mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Confused about the supplemental draft

I haven't had a ton of time to look into this, but to the best of my knowledge the Supplemental Draft recently happened a week or two ago, correct?

What is the status of the running back everyone seems to want, Harvey Unga? Do the Rams have the first rights to drop a fourth or fifth round pick down for him or is this more of the highest bidder type thing?

Also, how long do the teams have to make their bid for Supplemental Draft players?

All I know is we could really use a back like Unga.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Confused about the supplemental draft

mikhal, I think the sup draft happens tomorrow (7/15).

And you're right......it's a highest bidder situation with a tie going to the highest draft position. That is to say, as long as no team bids a higher round pick for Unga, any tie would go to the Rams (w/ their #1 overall pick).

My uninformed prediction.........the Rams bid a 4th, but somebody looking for a RB complement bids a 3rd and gets him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I see...I was watching the work outs a few weeks ago, which is probably what caused the confusion. That and I had a hard time finding a date for it. Not to mention I'm getting really nervous about the Rams incredible lack of depth at running back.
    Seriously, the guy I have the most hopes for is the undrafted player Tolston and I haven't even seen him play yet.
    I really hope the Rams pony up a third if they have to, we need a running back NOW and this guy looks like very legitimate.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I see...I was watching the work outs a few weeks ago, which is probably what caused the confusion. That and I had a hard time finding a date for it. Not to mention I'm getting really nervous about the Rams incredible lack of depth at running back.
    Seriously, the guy I have the most hopes for is the undrafted player Tolston and I haven't even seen him play yet.
    I really hope the Rams pony up a third if they have to, we need a running back NOW and this guy looks like very legitimate.
    Kind of scary to think of the difference between RB 1 and RB 2. From a workhorse on which an offense can be built around to an undrafted rookie. Scary indeed.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I guess Ogbonnaya gets no love here lol. Just put the undrafted Toston above him on the depth chart without seeing Tosten even play at all.

Again I feel to see how you can say we have an incredible lack of depth at running back without knowing what we have at runningback...

Drafting Unga won't suddenly give us solid depth at runningback, technically ogbonnaya has done more that Toston or Unga. Anyone we could have drafted would have been an unknown here.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I guess Ogbonnaya gets no love here lol. Just put the undrafted Toston above him on the depth chart without seeing Tosten even play at all.
    Except all indications are the Rams have Toston as the #2 guy ahead of Ogbonnaya as well. Quoting Jeff Gordon...

Dodger Sam: Any rumors on the back-up to SJ? Not sure that Toston is a #2.......

Jeff Gordon: For now, he is. Wait until teams start dumping guys. Something could shake.
    Tackleberry: Gordo,

Still unclear on what the plan is for a back-up running back to Steven Jackson? Are all the eggs in the Westbrook basket? When they failed to address this issue last year, the fanbase/media collectively said "told you so" as Darby & Co. fumbled through the season (literally). This year, the lack of a true #2 is far more frustrating. Smells of incompetence.

Jeff Gordon: Keith Toston is the back-up as we speak. That is why the Rams are interested in the supplemental draft.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Ah ok, more intrigue going into training camp. Tomorrow's a big day

rammiser is offline Registered User

How is a supplemental pick that is rated as a 4th or 5th round pick suddenly a solid back-up and better then what we have? I don't see Unga as being any better than what we have on the roster already. What is the sense of wasting a pick on him if he isnt head and shoulders above what we have already? In my opinion we should just pass on Unga and take our chances with what we have or wait for camp cuts and see what is available. I just dont see any reward from drafting Unga.
    Just Fix It

Hey, it's not like I'm giving up on our young rb Ogbonnaya. It's about bringing in a number two running back that opposing defensive coordinators will know and will have to respect. It's about keeping the teams only superstar a little healthier for a few more years, before we ride him straight into the ground.

We have a rookie qb, one second year tackle and a rookie tackle. Every team that we play against is going to pass rush us to death. The way to counter that is by running the ball successfully to open up the pass.

Jackson is already talking about back pain, there is no way in hell he lasts the whole season. Devany and Spags have been talking about building a run based offense. Well, my friends the time to do that is now.

They need to make sure that they walk away with Unga to protect both Jackson and Bradford, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    How is a supplemental pick that is rated as a 4th or 5th round pick suddenly a solid back-up and better then what we have? I don't see Unga as being any better than what we have on the roster already. What is the sense of wasting a pick on him if he isnt head and shoulders above what we have already? In my opinion we should just pass on Unga and take our chances with what we have or wait for camp cuts and see what is available. I just dont see any reward from drafting Unga.
    When talking about a NFL running back you get players who fit a "scheme." We don't have anyone on the roster with the exception of Tolston who fits the ground and pound offense that I have been hearing about.

Unga is a big powerful back with good horizontal speed. He is the kind of back that you can grind out games with. You don't grind out games with your superstar if you want to keep him around long.

Mikhal, when was Jackson complaining about back pain post surgery?

I'd like to see us get Unga but not for a third round pick. If we can snag him with a fifth that would be ideal. I wonder what he'll fetch and if he's worth it. Haven't seen enough of the guy to know.

He definitely fits our profile of big powerful runningbacks that make defenders reluctant to tackle. We can't have enough of those guys.

Here, and I said "Jackson was talking about back pain," I never said complaining.

If you visit St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson's Web site, sj39.com, you can watch in wonder as Jackson leg presses 225 pounds 90 times in two minutes.

In between all the snarls and winces of pain as his quads surely scorch, amidst the relentless beads of sweat that drop from his mean dreads to his brow, Jackson appears motivated.

Motivated, probably because he knows every rep that he pounds out in the two-minute crunch is essential. Just like every minute, every carry, every catch, every block that is expected of Jackson from the Rams is essential. Jackson's performance is the team's only chance of improving on a one-win season.

In St. Louis, the team really has no option but the 26-year-old Jackson, who has become the league's premier workhorse.

In Jackson's breakout year of 2006, the Rams handed the ball to him 346 times, and relied on him plenty through the aerial assault. The result: the league leader in yards from scrimmage and the team's leader in receptions.

Since then, Jackson has carried the ball a painful 814 times. Also, in the past three seasons Jackson has missed nine games because of nagging injuries.

Bumps and bruises have followed Jackson throughout his career as he's taken a heavy workload. Without a stable offensive line to protect him, or a passing game to support him, or even a worthy backup to grant him a break, Jackson has been the primary focus for opposing defenses.

Naturally, the Rams' finely-tuned machine has slowly been breaking down.

Or at least that's what it seemed. Jackson has battled through pain and, just this past year, couldn't have shone brighter as the lone star in St. Louis.

In 2009, Jackson played the final five of six games with a herniated disc in his back. He finished the season as the NFC's rushing leader, even after competing against eight- or nine-man boxes.

Jackson carried his team past the Lions after posting 149 yards rushing and a TD in the team's only win of the season. He later became the Rams' all-time leader in rushing attempts.

After a gutsy campaign, Jackson was given his second career Pro Bowl nod.

"He's just a class guy," head coach Steve Spagnuolo told the media after his prized runner received the honor. "I always held him in that regard, that kind of caliber player."

Currently, Jackson is en route to eclipsing another team record in rushing yards, needing 1,954 more. Most likely, that record is not part of Jackson's focus right now, though.

It is summer and the months are heated by the drama that emanates from the NFL offseason.

There are those players like Albert Haynesworth who are disgruntled even with the biggest jackpot of a contract.

There are those like Jackson who could plead their case for a trade. (Imagine him with a solid offensive line!) But players like Jackson don't complain.

Jackson is busy during offseasons.

It is time for healing and preparation. It's been Jackson's time for the past years to rehab any injuries suffered after taking a full load in the previous season. It's time for Jackson to physically prepare to carry a full load once again.

"I love to play, so I will gut it out," Jackson told the St. Louis Globe-Democrat earlier in the 2009 season. "I love football. I love this team."

Time for more leg presses.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -07-14-2010 at 09:06 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams RB corps: preliminary, tentative names on roster as of today... not bad. May they prove themselves worthy and valuable in preseason (i.e., aside from Jax being mainstay / pilar).

Steven Jackson, RB. Go SJ in 2010!
    Chris Ogbonnaya, RB.
    Kenneth Darby, RB.
    Keith Toston, RB.
    Mike Karney, FB.
    Jamie McCoy, FB / RB (really beginning to like what I read about this rookie).

BTW, found this article on Unga. I don't know anything about him other than the following. And that he's a big boy at 6-1 235.

I hope he's sticking out his tongue at opponent's defense here:

Agent declares BYU RB Harvey Unga will be drafted
    July 10, 2010, 03:51 PM EST

School's all-time leading rusher didn't run well.
    By Brad Biggs / National Football Post

Harvey Unga has already departed BYU as the school’s all-time leading rusher and now he must wait to see if his name is called on Thursday during the NFL’s supplemental draft.

It’s a process in futility for most who throw their name in the hat for the supplemental draft. Few players are ever drafted. Unga, who was bounced from the school for a violation of the Mormon school’s policies, is hoping to catch on with a team two weeks before training camps get going. He worked out for 20 teams.

“Absolutely, he will get drafted somewhere,” Unga’s agent Eric Metz declared to the Salt Lake Tribune. “It is just a matter of where, and what team. I think more than what round, you just hope it is a good fit. You don’t want him going to the wrong team, where it is not going to fit well. So, we have been really encouraged that 26 teams have contacted us and have done extensive research on him.”

The wrong team? We’re pretty certain any club burning a 2011 draft pick on Unga will at least enter into the proposition wanting to make things work for Unga. Can he be a productive performer in the NFL? Well, time will tell. Teams didn’t have the time they usually like to do extensive background work on him.

Unga ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds and 4.63 seconds. Those aren’t times that will excite anyone, but Metz is pushing the fact that he’s an explosive performer. We’ll see if he shoots up the draft board of any teams come Thursday.

Also...

Most of the teams interested in supplemental draft prospect Harvey Unga envision him as a running back rather than a fullback. "I can be the third down back -- and that can be 3rd and short or 3rd and long," said Unga. "If they need to throw me the ball they know I'll catch it and make the best of it." Unga isn't expected to be an impact player, but he could carve out a role similar to Brian Leonard with the Bengals.

Source: 101 ESPN St. Louis. Jul. 12, 2010

Mike Karney in 2009. Clic to enlarge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Confused about the supplemental draft-mike-karney.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-14-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Image