Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Controversial Thread: Do you want us to win anymore games?

Time for the controversy of the week, a topic that will be discussed heatedly from now to the end of the year.

Question: Do you want the rams to win anymore games?

Before you jump all over me, consider that we are out of the playoffs. There is a material difference in where we pick in the draft IN ALL 7 ROUNDS based on how we finish. We desparately need IMPACT players on defense. Better picks, while no guarantee of course, give you a better shot at better players and a better shot to trade up if there is someone you really want (ie whoever is the top defensive end coming out, i will leave that to nick and the experts).

Just my view, but i couldnt care less about the difference between 8-8 and 5-11. I want to see the rams do well offensively and i want to cheer for our guys, and most importantly, i dont want to see anyone get hurt. However, whether we win or lose from this point on, we wont have a chance to win it all. I am not going to be in a great mood for a week if we beat oakland and then the skins like i would be when we are in the hunt.

I am about trying to win superbowls, not trying to go .500. This year we have no shot of getting to the superbowl. I believe that we have a better shot of getting there next year if we wind up 5-11 then if we wind up 8-8.

One subtle distinction. There is a difference between my point which is that i wont be upset if we lose the last three than saying that i am actively routing against us. At best, i am indifferent, but the reality is that i believe intellectually that we are better off for next year to lose now. Part of that, and i think a critical part, is i dont see any value to having timmerman, glover and some of the other vets in the games. They may be better than the kids but so what? They are not part of the future. I want wroten, bartell etc to get real world game experience. Lets see what we have for next year, or at least get a glimpse. Put richie at guard if that is where he is headed and romberg at center and run the ball more so bulger doesnt get killed.

Training camp and pre season games are very very difficult to evaluate, lets have some baptism by fire for the kids and find out if there is a shot that some of them can contribute. Many on this board have advocated this theory, which i think is really making the same point as me in this thread. Bottom line- we are better off now to play for the future and the future of this team is better served with the kids on the field and better draft picks in april 2007.

Lets have a debate on this, should be a good one.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Controversial Thread: Do you want us to win anymore games?

No, I don't think we should. We always win enough games to have a draft that is sort of in the middle, and it just seems we always have to stoop down a level of talent because we could never get that one guy we wanted...It won't be the same for this year either by any means, but it ups the chances of us losing the last 3 to have a better draft. I don't ever like losing...but at this point...hopefully we'll be thinking about a long run victory...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

G.C. You're playin' my song, here. I posted almost exactly the same thing regarding this issue in the draft forum (albeit not as eloquently as our resident esquire!!) and got absolutely no response at all. That being said, it is my contention that many if not most of the Clan agree with you and I, it's just rather politically incorrect to come out and say so. However, you're logic is completely sound and I agree with you implicitly. I say "Play the kids", I don't want any worthless "moral" victories at a time when we need impact players!! Look folks just what did the meaningless victory in the last game of the year at Dallas accomplish? All it did was drop our draft status out of the top ten. This year is over. Build for tomorrow by ensuring the highest draft picks posssible.

WHAT SAY YE?

stlramman is offline Registered User

i wont be upset when we lose the rest of the year,but can never get myself to HOPE we lose. i understand the draft positioning is at stake but it is a crap-shoot so i could pretty much care less about that.so me personaly as a rams fan hope we win every game from here untill the end of time!!GO RAMS!!!!!!!!

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

This is a tough one to answer. Your heart says yes, we better win the rest and finish at .500 so this season isn't a complete failure. But the mind says something different. The mind knows that a bad finish will give us a better draft spot and we might actually be able to get someone that can help this team right away. I will never root against this team and if we do lose I will still be upset. But I think at the end of the season I could look back and at least have the comfort of knowing that hopefully we will be in a good spot for the draft. I'm not sure if I really answered the question or not, but this is my feelings on the subject.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Rambos is offline Registered User

I hate to answer a question with a question but if we lost our last three games, what would be the cost? If we won out and some of this years draft picks, guys like Setterstrom. Kolp, Wroten made solid contributions. Would that not mean more then a higher draft pick next year? How much faith would we have in Linehan if we loss the rest of the way out?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

ok, so we go and lose our last 3 games,who are we going to draft ? defense ? will he start right away ? bottom line is you don't lose games to increase your chance at the unknown,should we lose so we get the chance to draft another damoine lewis,how about another robert thomas or my personal favorite trung canadate.you go out and try and end the season on a positive note and worry about the draft in april.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Hello!!! I'll be sitting in the Black Hole on Sunday, in the rain, and you damn well better believe I want to win the game. For me, it's the Super Bowl!!!

Playing the Faiders or not, I always want the Rams to win. Draft picks be damned. Winning, playing your best and working toward something positive is infinitely more important than where we draft. This team and the coaching staff need to end the season on a high note if at all possible, it's that simple.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Oh, GAWD yes. We have to beat the Faiders. Having to deal with those fans is tough enough, but to lose to such a crappy team, well, don't make me go through it. Please....

win one for the ramfanraiderhater!!!!
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Krames41 is offline Registered User

I don't want the Rams to lose the next three (because I like Scott Linehan) but it is probably for the better. Most impact players go in the top ten so if we can have a top ten draft pick we are better off. I thought Linehan did a great job of drafting this year (Hill, Klopfenstein, Adeyanju, Setterstrom, and Wroten have all contributed). I think the more higher picks we give him, the better off we will be.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I hate to answer a question with a question but if we lost our last three games, what would be the cost? If we won out and some of this years draft picks, guys like Setterstrom. Kolp, Wroten made solid contributions. Would that not mean more then a higher draft pick next year? How much faith would we have in Linehan if we loss the rest of the way out?
    True, but I think we could regain trust by getting a better draft pick and overall feeling better about our situation of the future...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's my answer.

I NEVER want to see the Rams lose a game. I ALWAYS want to see the players on the field doing everything in their power to win.

That said, given the Rams current situation, I do want the Rams to give some young players the opportunity to play and get more game experience so that they can be more effective next year. Particularly, I'd like to see more of Wroten and Alston.

I'd also like to see the Rams try some new formations and new plays.

Now, granted, playing young players and trying new schemes might cause the Rams to lose games. That I can accept.

But losing merely for the sake of a higher draft choice? No.

blood85 is offline Registered User

At least beat Chokeland...Go Rams!!

Truth is offline Registered User

I guess I'm rather ambiguous on this point. On the one hand, as Avenger says "I NEVER want to see the Rams lose." On the other hand, I agree with GC, at this point the difference between 8-8 and 5-11 means nothing to me.

I agree with Avenger that giving younger players some game time would be ideal at this point. Trying some new formations might also prove interesting. If we lose, so be it.

I'd like to see the Rams in a position to draft well. On the other hand, I've been a Rams fan long enough to know that we'd probably either trade the pick for a corn dog and a 6th rounder, or pick some off-the-wall "project".

Bottom line. I don't think we'll win more than 1 more anyway (if that). That being said, we'll probably win the last 3. Puting us in a positon to just miss the playoffs, and end up drafting about 15 or 16.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Avenger said it well, I, too, NEVER want to see the Rams lose. I want to see the team get in the game, fight like hell, play each game like it is the SuperBowl. Win or lose, as long as each player on the team gives their best, then we should not be ashamed.

GC, you have been around the Rams longer than I have, so I know you have seen how the draft works. Just because a player is taken high in a certain round, there is no guarantee on his success. For instance, Deion Branch was the #65 pick in the 2002 draft. No one can say he has not been successful. J.P. Losman was taken by Buffalo at #23, I believe, in 2004. Which of these picks is the REAL impact player? Branch is more consistent, and Losman is still trying to justify being picked in the first round.

Yes, some early picks are making an impact, but with our current placement in the draft (I think we'd be around #14, correct me if I am wrong!!!!), we don't exactly have hope of being #3 or 4. I don't buy into the rankings of the players anyway....we can end up getting a seventh rounder that makes a lot more impact than a first rounder! (Think Timmerman!)

All I want to see is our guys fighting for a win. Things will work out the way they are supposed to work out for us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast