RamWraith is offline Registered User

A conversation with Adam Archuleta

A tired Adam Archuleta of the St. Louis Rams joined NFL Total Access via Rams cam and spoke with host Rich Eisen about the early morning practices the Rams are conducting in camp and who the team is looking toward to step it up this season. NFL Total Access airs Monday through Friday at 7 p.m. ET/PT (aired July 30, 2004).

Eisen: After a highly dramatic end to their 2003 season, the 2004 Rams' season is getting underway, right now, in Macomb, Illinois, where the St. Louis Rams are taking part in training camp in Western Illinois University. And, joining us right now on Rams' Training Cam, is Adam Archuleta, the safety of the St. Louis Rams. How are you doing, Adam?

Archuleta: I'm doing OK. Not bad, not bad.

Eisen: You're a little tired, I hear. You're a little tired right now?

Archuleta: (Laughs) I'm a little bit fatigued. I've only been going at this for three days now, so I've got to figure out how to adjust my life around football instead of eating and sleeping.

Eisen: Are you getting up earlier than you have been in the last few weeks?

Archuleta: Yeah, I guess so. We get up now about 6:30 a.m. I'm used to getting up around 8:30 or 9 during the summer, and getting to my workout by 9:30. So it's a bit of an attitude adjustment.

Eisen: What are they doing at 6 in the morning over there?

Archuleta: They came up with the bright idea to move practices, so that's just when I have to wake up. I guess I could wake up a little later, but then I'd be late to practice and they want us on the field by 7:50. So I'm going to do what they tell me.

Eisen: Seven-five-oh? 7:50? That's when you get there?

Archuleta: Yeah.

Eisen: At least you're getting that adjustment right now. And who are rooming with out there in Western Illinois?

Archuleta: They do a good job. They actually let us have our rooms to ourselves. It's a small dorm room, and if you don't want the dorm room beds, then you can rent one. I have a nice queen-size mattress in my room to myself. So I'm living in the lap of luxury here.

Eisen: (laughing) You are living large, Adam. Living large. Worthy of guy who led all defensive backs in the league last year with five picks. To what do you owe that? Is it just good fortune, in a way, or how did you get five picks last year?

Archuleta: Picks? Five sacks!

Eisen: Sacks?! Oh man, I blew that one.

Archuleta: We've got to get the research department on it.

Eisen: No, it's not the research department, it's my bad. So those sort of accommodations are worthy of a guy who led all defensive backs in sacks last year with five sacks. To what do you owe that, Adam?

Archuleta: I think the coaching staff obviously used my strengths in the game planning. Coach Lovie Smith did a good job of moving me around and allowed me to really get involved. And anytime he had a new blitz drawn up, he allowed me to run it. It's just kind of been my deal ever since I was in college. I've always been a good blitzer and I've enjoyed it -- it's a mentality. Run downs, pass downs -- they want some extra pressure, and they're going to call my number.

Eisen: Well, Lovie Smith, obviously, now gone. He's with the Chicago Bears. Larry Marmie is your new defensive coordinator. What sorts of adjustments are you making in terms of that right now?

Archuleta: We're still trying to get a feel for each other. We're putting in the basics. Pretty much it's the same defense. There's a little bit of a terminology difference and schematics. The way we make our adjustments is a little different so we're putting in the basics now, and I'm sure as we get going through camp we're going to get a better feel for each other. And when we start game planning, obviously, we'll see exactly what kind of tricks (Marmie) has up his sleeve.

Eisen: A lot of adjustments on the defensive line to talk about, what with Grant Wistrom now being in Seattle and, of course, Leonard Little. Very few people really know what the future holds for this guy. How are you guys approaching that?

Archuleta: Just as any team does in any given year, you have holes to fill. It's unfortunate we had to lose a guy like Grant (in terms of) what he brought and what he meant to this organization. So it's the nature of the game now and that's something we have to deal with. And we do have guys that are going to step up and that are happy to take his place. As far as Leonard goes, we plan on him being here. He's a vital piece of our defense. We don't know what the future is going to hold, but we've got to go in there and expect guys to step up and contribute just like they've done in the past.

Eisen: Adam, how long did it take for you to get over that double-overtime loss in the playoffs last year?

Archuleta: That was a tough one. That was one of the most physical, emotionally draining games that I've been a part of in my entire life. We really felt like we had a good chance to win it. And for it to go down like that, in such dramatic fashion, on the last play, 60, 80 yards -- whatever it was -- it was a tough one to swallow. It takes a couple months; you keep thinking about it. You watch these teams continue through the playoffs while you're sitting at home. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but you've got to realize that every year there's going to be 31 disappointed football teams and you've just got to do what you can in the offseason and training camp to prepare to go all the way the next year.

Eisen: Now, Adam, you are a guy who was a Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year at linebacker at Arizona State, then converted to safety when you made the pros. That is the exact story of Pat Tillman. You played with Pat. I believe you crossed paths for one year. Did you get to know Pat at all?

Archuleta: Yeah, I had the opportunity. I redshirted and Pat was there. And when I was a freshman, I played just special teams. Pat was still there. So I got to spend a couple of years with him. I wasn't one of his good buddies, his inner-circle guys, but just being around him and seeing the type of example that he set, and just listening to the stories, and how he conducted his life and his priorities, was just a great example. And he was a great inspiration for me and my success, and what I've been able to do on the football field.

Eisen: Well, you're definitely on the road to some further success this year, and good luck to you. And, Adam, get some rest, will you please?

Archuleta: Absolutely, I appreciate it.

Eisen: Adam Archuleta, the hard-hitting safety of the St. Louis Rams, joining us on Rams training cam.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: A conversation with Adam Archuleta

We seem to be getting more quotes and comments form the players this year. I like it.
    Eisen: (laughing) You are living large, Adam. Living large. Worthy of guy who led all defensive backs in the league last year with five picks. To what do you owe that? Is it just good fortune, in a way, or how did you get five picks last year?
    Silly reporters. They should check the stats out before talking. I'll bet Archuleta was laughing at him and also wishing he had 5 picks last year.
    Archuleta: I think the coaching staff obviously used my strengths in the game planning. Coach Lovie Smith did a good job of moving me around and allowed me to really get involved. And anytime he had a new blitz drawn up, he allowed me to run it. It's just kind of been my deal ever since I was in college. I've always been a good blitzer and I've enjoyed it -- it's a mentality. Run downs, pass downs -- they want some extra pressure, and they're going to call my number.
    Archuleta does have the right attitude to blitz and I like the guys that bring the blitz. It's hard to tell with the name and all, I know. :redface:

I am ready for some football.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Man, did anyone else find this a very amaturish report? :rolleyes:

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    Man, did anyone else find this a very amaturish report?

Yes ... but I rarely find much to hail in any sports journalism ... so the lack of depth wasn't very surprising.

What I would have been interested in was a follow-up to the unique type of training scheme that Arch had pursued previously. I used that last year to pimp Arch's prospects for pro-bowl/hall-of-fame status. I'd be curious to know if he is still vigorously pursuing that training regime ... or if he thinks that it paid its dividends early on and now has no more value ... that might have been a question or two that Eisen could have asked about instead of migrating to what Arch knew of Tillman ...