throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Cornerback Ron Bartell toughs it out

BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/12/2009

Tempting as it might have been to simply take a couple of weeks off and let his sore thigh heal, Rams cornerback Ron Bartell just couldn't do it.

"Your pride kind of kicks in," he explained. "I felt like this team needs me, just like we need everybody. We've already had a lot of injuries. I felt like I was good enough to play, despite the leg. But I have to play better."

No one realizes more than Bartell that his season hasn't gone as well as planned ó especially after he received a four-year contract in the offseason that could max out at $28 million.

The thigh injury, which has nagged him for about two months, undoubtedly has been a factor. But Bartell, a second-round draft choice in 2005, refused to use it as an excuse.

"It's been frustrating. But I chose to play and try to fight through it," he said. "I have to play better, regardless of how it feels. I'm expected to play at a certain level, and I haven't been playing at that level."

Now, with an extra week of rest, Bartell figures to get a good test Sunday, when unbeaten New Orleans and its high-octane offense visits the Edward Jones Dome.

"I'm not all the way there, but this is the best I've felt in some weeks now," Bartell said. "I feel like it's starting to come around. We've got another shot this weekend, and hopefully I can play a little bit better and we can play better as a team and get a win."

AH YOU IS READY

The bye week also benefited defensive lineman C.J. Ah You, who suffered a high-ankle sprain Oct. 25 vs. Indianapolis and sat out the Nov. 1 victory at Detroit.

Ah You had amassed a career-high seven tackles vs. the Colts before he was hurt on special teams. "It was kind of a fluke injury,'' he said. "One of the players fell on the back of my legs on a kickoff return when I was blocking. ... just friendly fire."

A sixth-round draft choice by Buffalo in 2007, the 6-foot-4, 270-pound Ah You never made it out of the preseason with the Bills. He spent half of that season and all of 2008 on the Rams' practice squad.

The former University of Oklahoma standout made the 53-man roster this year and had appeared in all seven games, both at end and tackle, before he was hurt.

"I just had to keep working, and I've still got to keep working; the job's not done yet," Ah You said. "I'm trying to go out there and prove every day that I belong."

Ah You participated in virtually all the drills at practice Wednesday and should be ready for Sunday's game. "He was playing good football for us," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I hope he gets back."

SELLOUT, OR NOT?

Despite a statement released Wednesday by KTVI (Ch. 2) that Sunday's game is sold out, Rams officials said Wednesday the game had not yet qualified as a sellout. The deadline is noon today, unless the Rams seek an extension.

ANOTHER UNBEATEN

The Rams are the first team in NFL history to have three consecutive home games against undefeated opponents. Minnesota was 4-0 when it came to town Oct. 11. Indianapolis and New Orleans are 8-0, the league's only remaining unbeatens. "Who's in charge of scheduling around here?" Spagnuolo quipped.

RAM-BLINGS

Guard Richie Incognito (foot) was the only player who sat out practice. He worked on the side with strength coach Rock Gullickson. ... Former Rams draft pick Anthony Hargrove, a tackle with the Saints, is the NFC's defensive player of the week. Hargrove forced two fourth-quarter fumbles, returning one for a 1-yard touchdown, in a 30-20 win over Carolina on Sunday.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Cornerback Ron Bartell toughs it out

Who IS in charge of scheduling? This is brutal.

Anyway, good to see that kind of attitude out of Bartell. Not relaxing after signing a new contract.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

We need him against Drew Brees and that offense................

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams are the first team in NFL history to have three consecutive home games against undefeated opponents. Minnesota was 4-0 when it came to town Oct. 11. Indianapolis and New Orleans are 8-0, the league's only remaining unbeatens. "Who's in charge of scheduling around here?" Spagnuolo quipped.
    That strength of schedule will push us down the line come draft day.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan Guest

isn't there a formula the league goes by when making the schedule ? if so they have no choice but to have the Rams play certain teams and who really knows what teams records will be at this point in the season back in april,best example is Titans,who would have thought that they would only have 2 wins at this point.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Not really a formula, but we had to play the NFC North and AFC south. We also had to play the worst team in the NFC south and NFC east the divisions we played last which happend to be beastly New Orleans and the horrible SKins.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Not really a formula, but we had to play the NFC North and AFC south. We also had to play the worst team in the NFC south and NFC east the divisions we played last which happend to be beastly New Orleans and the horrible SKins.
    ok thanks makes better sense now,who didn't look at the schedule in april and think the Saints game was going to be a win at home ? thats the nfl you never know from year to year.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

i love bartell. Great guy on and off the field (i met him once haha)

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Rams could beat the Bears, Titans and Texans. Texans will be the toughest test of the three.

Bartell is a gamer. I thight injury for a CB? That's almost as a bad elbow on the QB's throwing hand.