Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cortland Finnegan and Fisher must have agreed at least on one thing.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Cortland Finnegan and Fisher must have agreed at least on one thing.

By Barry Jackson

Cornerback Cortland Finnegan, trying to rebound from two disappointing seasons, looked good this offseason before sitting out last week to rest his knees.

One NFC front office executive said Finnegan has a good chance to rejuvenate his career here partly because he wasn't properly used by former Rams defensive coordinator Tim Walton, the ex-UM coordinator who was fired by the Rams after last season.

When I asked Finnegan about that last week, he said Walton’s defensive system was “atrocious." From the game plan to technique to fundamentals, they weren’t in line with a defensive coordinator who knew what he was doing. He was a great defensive backs coach, but when you're in over your head, it's kind of tough... Here coaches know to play guys to their strengths. I wish I had been here a long time ago. [Coordinator Kevin] Coyle is so good at dissecting offenses.”

After two disappointing seasons, does Finnegan, at 30, still have the same skill set he showed as a Pro Bowler for Tennessee six years ago? “It’s still there,” he said. “But until I prove it, we’ll never know.”

I don't know if Cort's still any good or not, but I do believe he's right about Walton. Hopefully the acquisition of Gregg Williams will forever end the memories of our dbs giving up a 10 yard or more cushion at the LOS to opposing receivers ..
    Randart likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Cortland Finnegan and Fisher must have agreed at least on one thing.

I hear sour grapes to an extent. While I do not know enough about the details of what went on behind the scenes, I witnessed a meltdown by Finnegan on live TV each week he "played"
    Bar-bq and RamFan_Til_I_Die like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I hear sour grapes to an extent. While I do not know enough about the details of what went on behind the scenes, I witnessed a meltdown by Finnegan on live TV each week he "played"
    Agreed there is at least a hint of sour grapes, that said, Walton didn't get fired for overachieving. We were very fortunate to have Quinn, Brockers, Lanford/Hayes/Long. I along with others here, did not like seeing our cornerbacks giving up huge cushions at the LOS. I would hope that will change dramatically with Williams at the helm.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't think for a minute that Walton was pulling all the strings, all the time. Jeff Fisher is a former DC, who no doubt had input on what the Rams did defensively. As far as Finnegan, Walton's coaching style had nothing to do with Cortland's pathetic performance in 2013.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't think for a minute that Walton was pulling all the strings, all the time. Jeff Fisher is a former DC, who no doubt had input on what the Rams did defensively. As far as Finnegan, Walton's coaching style had nothing to do with Cortland's pathetic performance in 2013.
    This. IIRC there was talk that Fisher had taken over the defensive strategy about half way through the year as well. And it wasn't just 2013 that was bad either. After his hot start in 2012 it was pretty much all down hill that year too. And he can't blame Walton for that.

I guess to some extent it's just the time of year where every new player says things like " Team X plays different/better/faster than anywhere else ever in the history of football" but every year it seems more ridiculous.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Cortland was terrible last year, no doubt about it. Also, Tim Walton I think was in over his head. What was Finnegan supposed to say? "Yeah I completely suck now, why did Miami sign me?"..

THE DREAM TEAM

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Was that a bus that just ran over Walton?
    THOLTFAN81 and FestusRam like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Was that a bus that just ran over Walton?
    Based on his play in 2013, it certainly was not Cortland!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Yet again a wait and see...new DC...new schemes and philosophies likely shack things up and who knows. It will be interesting to see what players are on borrowed time after pre-season ends and the final roaster is posted

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Based on his play in 2013, it certainly was not Cortland!
    Walton gave Cort an assignment in the wrong lane on that play to run him over

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    but when you're in over your head, it's kind of tough...
    Yeah, you made that pretty evident to all of us last year with your awful play.
    Nick and bradwill like this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Walton gave Cort an assignment in the wrong lane on that play to run him over
    Yeah I'm surprised he was able to hit him at all from ten yards off?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If one graphs last year's defensive efforts, then creates trendlines for each component of that defense, all of the big 3 (points allowed, passing yards allowed, rushing yards allowed) were on the way down over the course of last season......which is good.

But oddly, while the rushing yards allowed and points allowed trendlines were fairly significant in their downward motion, the passing yards allowed was only slightly downward in its trend.

Which gives me a little reason to pause......if Fisher took over for Walton during the course of the season, shouldn't we have expected the passing defense to generate the same downward trend as the rushing defense and scoreboard defense?

Not a big deal, but at least noteworthy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Jenkins regressed.
    Johnson played well but seemed less aggressive.

We had the discussion early in the season when Jenkins was playing 9 yards off the line and Jim Thomas and Fisher tried to argue they never played on the line in 2012 either - it was wrong and pointed out.

I don't know if Walton was the problem but I expect improvement in this regard in 2014. I expect Jenkins and Johnson to continue their development.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Jenkins regressed.
    Johnson played well but seemed less aggressive.

We had the discussion early in the season when Jenkins was playing 9 yards off the line and Jim Thomas and Fisher tried to argue they never played on the line in 2012 either - it was wrong and pointed out.

I don't know if Walton was the problem but I expect improvement in this regard in 2014. I expect Jenkins and Johnson to continue their development.
    I find it weird that people suggest Johnson played ok last year when they say Jenkins regressed. Both were worse than they were the year before.

I have said it all along, we got killed because we lined up our corners too deep, and we got killed because we had poor play at the nickel/free safety spots. Finnegan, Brandon McGee and Rodney McLeod didn't cut it when they lined up against slot guys. I remember Jenkins blitzing often in his first year but don't remember it last year.

I would be very, very surprised if Jenkins and Johnson aren't better this year in a more aggresive scheme, because the scheme seemed awful for DBs last year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast