Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Coughlin/Linehan

Just wishful thinking...

I remember (being that I'm in New Jersey) many NY Giants fans wanting Coughlin's head saying he was a horrible coach, and the players hated him. I believe that Linehan is in a similiar boat. However this year coach Coughlin changed his ways and won back his team and lead them to a superbowl victory against an undefeated team. Linehan is capable of doing the same thing Coughlin did. He must seriously win over his players and something that I was very impressed with was him letting Saunders take over the reigns of OC.

I think that was a step in the right direction for getting his players to play for HIM. We know he knows he screwed up royally as a head coach. He knows that even Torry Holt yelled at him and this is a man who never blows up, he always keeps his cool. Obviously there was something wrong and I think he's trying to address it. All I'm saying is this: If Coughlin and his NY Giants could turn their team around I don't see why this team cannot. Even if our destination isn't the Superbowl, atleast making Wildcard would be an absolute huge success for us. We have all the tools, and if this draft is good this team could have an excellent turn around faster than the "experts" would have thought.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Coughlin/Linehan

That would be nice, but Coughlin is a more experienced head coach, and the main reason he lost the team before was because he was so strict. I don't think the players really questioned whether he knew what he was doing; he just wasn't doing a great job as a leader. If Linehan is losing or has lost the team, I think it would be because they questioned his competence. Unfortunately, it's easier to lighten up than convince people you know what you're doing.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Very interesting V6 / GFleece, both the opening post and the 1st reply. :r

I again hope / trust that the 2008 Rams players will be willing to give Coach SL another chance via patience and respect. I also agree with your observation, GF:

Unfortunately, it's easier to lighten up than convince people you know what you're doing.
    Our team will likely be more composed and stronger (i.e., far fewer injuries) and winning more games, even a wildcard as you mentioned V6, will pacify many minds.

To me, Coughlin is a strong coach and yes, he did adjust his ways for the good of the cause. The NYG succeeded. They won the SB.

This year we'll find out what Coach SL is really made of. :bash:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Coughlin certainly changed he ways, the team seemed to accept the change and responded in a postive manner. Coughlins biggest problem in the 2006 season was TIKI BARBER. As great a player as TIKI was his retirement I believe had alot to do with the team accepting Coughlin and his new style.

With all the changes on our coaching staff and responsibilities being redirected away from Linehan it will give Linehan a chance to regain the respect of the players. Although he is the HEADCOACH and is the ultimate decision maker maybe his staff can relate to the players in a more positive and acceptable manner? Get the players to do what's right, willingly.
    Last edited by laram0; -04-04-2008 at 08:11 AM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Linehan is capable of doing the same thing Coughlin did.
    Why should we assume that?

Coughlin had success previously, building an expansion team into a playoff team. Linehan has never done anything as a head coach.

I still say that the Rams might succeed this year, but if they do, it will be in spite of Linehan, not because of him.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

good post and some very good views on this, I equal Coughlin to what Vermeil did,he ran tough camp and practices and backed off that 3rd year and we know how it turned out,same results for the Giants this past season, as Varg pointed out this situation is a bit different, will he tick everybody off by moving camp out of town and making it tougher for the players ? it should be interesting how the players respond to him this season,a few early wins would really help.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Sorry Varg....but you may not have the right idea about why Coughlin changed. His change was "Vermeil like" in a way. Those two had to change because the modern day player won't buy into the bootcamp mentality.

Linehan has to change because of X's and O's. His strategy on game day is flawed. Not his interaction with players.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Sorry Varg....but you may not have the right idea about why Coughlin changed. His change was "Vermeil like" in a way. Those two had to change because the modern day player won't buy into the bootcamp mentality.

Linehan has to change because of X's and O's. His strategy on game day is flawed. Not his interaction with players.
    exactly my point tx. Linehan knew his offense, hell his whole staff was flawed thus having the overhaul. It is why he got saunders to call the offensive plays while linehan can focus on the managing the game and the players. Obviously he has a lot to learn as a head coach but I have faith because we took a step in the right direction. Don't be so quick to think linehan will ruin another season. Don't be so grumpy tx! :P
    Last edited by Varg6; -04-04-2008 at 11:05 AM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

sorry varg....thought that you were actually comparing coughlin to...

oh nevermind....just follow the yellow brick road.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I remember reading about the differences between Coughlin, then coach of the Panthers and Dom Capers the coach for the Jaguars when those teams first joined the league. The Panthers were struggling and the Jaguars were doing well. They mentioned how the players really didn't like Coughlin and dang near walked out on him a couple of times. The ended up firing Coughlin if I am not mistaken. Capers was well respected by his players.

My point is it has taken Couglin two teams to learn to be a little more flexible, and I could easily see that happening with SL (LC?). Remember I think he has said he would turn over the play calling twice and taking it back twice, so I am waiting to see how he does with AL Saunders...

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I remember reading about the differences between Coughlin, then coach of the Panthers and Dom Capers the coach for the Jaguars when those teams first joined the league. The Panthers were struggling and the Jaguars were doing well. They mentioned how the players really didn't like Coughlin and dang near walked out on him a couple of times. The ended up firing Coughlin if I am not mistaken. Capers was well respected by his players.

My point is it has taken Couglin two teams to learn to be a little more flexible, and I could easily see that happening with SL (LC?). Remember I think he has said he would turn over the play calling twice and taking it back twice, so I am waiting to see how he does with AL Saunders...

dont mean to be anal but im sure you meant Coughlin coach for the Jags and Capers for the panthers....didnt ya?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post

Actually Coughlin lasted 8 years in Jax, and it took three consecutive losing seasons to get him sacked. I doubt it was his personality and coaching style that got him fired.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

T.C has a long history of success..he "changed" to get in line with modern coaching...he did infact scream in the face of Steve Smith on atleast one occassion during the SB but still...agreed he has give his players some slack for once...

what does Linny do...please play good for me...i dont know what im doing but if we win,i`ll bake y`all some brownies?

as previously stated...no one was doubting if T.C knew how to win!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    That would be nice, but Coughlin is a more experienced head coach, and the main reason he lost the team before was because he was so strict. I don't think the players really questioned whether he knew what he was doing; he just wasn't doing a great job as a leader. If Linehan is losing or has lost the team, I think it would be because they questioned his competence. Unfortunately, it's easier to lighten up than convince people you know what you're doing.
    Actually, Coughlin's players did question whether he knew what he was doing. Jeremy Shockey accused him of being outcoached, Plaxico Burress and Tiki Barber both regularly ripped Coughlin's playcalling and game strategy and Michael Strahan openly complained about the way he did things. Coughlin must have agreed because he made changes.

Like Linehan, Coughlin's leadership was questioned, his game management decisions were criticized, he was confronted by his players and the prevailng opinion was that he had lost his team, so Varg's comparison is completely valid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    sorry varg....thought that you were actually comparing coughlin to...

oh nevermind....just follow the yellow brick road.

I am making a comparison. But the overall message was simply this: It seems to me there was a team with similiar problems with their head coach and they got it resolved. Mind you, yes Coughlin is way more experienced than Linehan but I think the errors Linehan made last year can easily be corrected and the X's and O's problem has been resolved. It is not Linehan's call anymore and he was man enough to say hey, I am not producing a high octane offense with high octane players, lets get a guy like Saunders in here and bring back a great offense. As far the comparison goes, I meant it with the players not liking either coach. Linehan lost his players and reference is Torry Holt's blowing up in his face. Reference for Coughlin has been stated in the previous posts. I think Linehan can win them back the way Coughlin did with a simple attitude/mindset adjustment. Perhaps listening to the players more, I remember reading about how Linehan didn't even consider taking advice from vets like Bruce or Holt and that angered me. That is something that sounds like what Coughlin would do as well, and he changed his mannerisms and boy what a difference that made for the whole team, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-04-2008, 07:24 AM