throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Could beating the teams in the west salvage our season?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Could beating the teams in the west salvage our season?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Why do people keep talking like this? We average 9.3 points a game...I don't see why everyone thinks were gonna kill it this 2nd half of the season? It doesn't matter who we are playing because we are the worst team in the NFL... (Dolphins and Colts are as bad as us).... Everyone thinks just because we play the Whiners, Browns, Cards, and Hawks that suddenly we will start winning...not gonna happen until we can score.
    I guess we will find out in two weeks if we are really the worst team... hey the Browns and the Hags put up big numbers last week 6-3 final score...

My bad the question was for mh-i', wondering if he thinks we needed to add six more players in addition to the starters that we lost for the year...

I'm contending that while we may have something to hang our hat on if we get a few wins down the road against the division, at 0-6 (soon to be 0-7), our season is essentially over. And wins against Seattle, Cleveland and Arizona won't mask the fact that we're still miles away from being a good team. We've suffered double digit losses to everyone other than Washington.

I agree with you 100%

won't mask the fact that we're still miles away from being a good team
    Do you really think anyone knows what we have with so many key players out? Secondary pretty much done from week one one... SJ Pretty much missed the first quarter of the season. The Rams most productive WR gone in week one.

As far as the Rams as a team, if Spags can find a way to win games in the back half of the schedule and keep his job. next year with all the lost players and OTA's ect. I think we will have a more accurate picture of where this team is... he still may get fired next year if we don't see real improvement.

He will get fired if he can't beat these softer teams... and the rebuilding starts in the off-season.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We've suffered double digit losses to everyone other than Washington.
    Yeah hell, and that was 3 points shy of being another one (17-7), making all the losses double digit!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The second half of the scheduled will be key to Spags and Billy employment with the Rams. If we can win 5 of 6 games within the division Spags and company should be fine. Split with the whiners and sweep the hawks 2-4 record and the Cards 1-5 record.
    I don't think the Rams have accomplished that since 2004, so I'm not going to hold my breath in thinking that this Rams team does it. While I agree the games are going to be more winnable down the line, it's going to take a big improvement in the type of Rams team we see on the field in those games to even come close to this kind of milestone. So in that respect, you may be right - if the Rams can somehow win five or six of their division games, something they haven't done in seven years and after the start they've had, that would probably be a good case for keeping the current regime.

macrammer is offline Registered User

It's not the fact that this team will all of sudden get really good... it's more about the teams coming up are just as bad... and if we can beat the Cards, Hags and the Browns. All I'm saying is if we can get a win or two the players can gain some confidence and who knows. I'm not delusional trust me I can see us going 2-14 and blowing this thing up again...

We have not seen Sam, Lloyd, Clayton and SJ play together yet... there may be some game in that group... if we ever see it. there is a little hope there...

The way I see it is if we go 1-15 2-14, we are starting over! New GM and new coach. The last change we seen all of our draft picks from the old staff tossed out like yesterdays newspaper. (kinda feels like that.s happen already).

They will want their own players so the first two years will be turning over the roster just like we just did... I think there is nine players left from SLOP days... something like that. it will be three years before we can see what they have done and if by chance the injury bug hits us hard... we can be doing this again,

When you start losing, is it all of a sudden easy to start winning? And, we have seen the way the Rams have lost this year. BUTT UGLY. And last time I looked, the Hags, Tards and Browns all have won at least one game while the Rams are 0 fers. Hard to say factually that Rams are better then anyone in NFL say for the fish and Colts.

IMO, based on the lack of emotion, passion and fundamentals, Spags is already done. The front 7 last week, really devoid of any injuries this year were simply pathetic. The total lack of adjustments in the Ravens game allowing Smith to basically look like Bob Hayes. The complete lack of energy in the skins game until it was too late. All of the penalties and missed tackles. Everything adds and points to lack of leadership REGARDLESS of the many injuries.
    Ironmaidenram likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Look, what's done is done. We're not going to change anything from the first 6-7 weeks of the season. If you REALLY want to take the optimist's point of view, this is what you do: You stress to your players that the season is split into two halves. The first half was obviously brutal, but we can control what we do from this point forward. WIN THE 2ND HALF OF THE SEASON. Get Bradford, Lloyd, Alexander and a healthy Clayton and Jackson out there together. Get Salas, Pettis and Kendricks going. Clean up the mistakes, play fundamentally sound football and let the chips fall where they may.

If this team can do these things, then Spags/Billy stand a good chance at getting a fourth year and fans will have some sliver of hope for next season. Anything short of this, and we're talking a whole new regime in here for 2012.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Look, what's done is done. We're not going to change anything from the first 6-7 weeks of the season. If you REALLY want to take the optimist's point of view, this is what you do: You stress to your players that the season is split into two halves. The first half was obviously brutal, but we can control what we do from this point forward. WIN THE 2ND HALF OF THE SEASON. Get Bradford, Lloyd, Alexander and a healthy Clayton and Jackson out there together. Get Salas, Pettis and Kendricks going. Clean up the mistakes, play fundamentally sound football and let the chips fall where they may.

If this team can do these things, then Spags/Billy stand a good chance at getting a fourth year and fans will have some sliver of hope for next season. Anything short of this, and we're talking a whole new regime in here for 2012.
    Im all tapped out on the optimism front, Jersey. But at the same time I do not like having this sinking feeling, regarding this teams future.! They have give us fans NOTHING.! I do not expect miracle's, Id just like a little something to hang my hope hat on.? I think using the tough schedule as a excuse, is a cop out, injuries too.! The so-called tough schedule, is pretty much what most teams in other division's face nearly week in ,week out.? I think it's about time this team takes responsibility for their ineptitude, and in the future, will set the bar a little higher for themselves.?
    I do kind of feel for DeSpags in a way. Because last season's improvement really clouded there views.? I think it made them a little too complacent, which was clearly a giant oversight in more ways than one.!
    I think the best and only chance this team can turn it round, in the second half. Is if Sam and his receivers finally start getting this offense down, and make it enjoyable to actually tune in to watch this team. The bottom line at the moment is not the win, loss column, but about showing signs of life.
    But the problem here is other than Bradford and maybe Lloyd, our only bright spots are our rookie's.?
    Which doesn't mean a jot, because it's not like the other 31 teams didn't have a draft either.

IN BRADFORD WE TRUST!
    Ironmaidenram likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Heres my take, I do like Spags a Devany, and i feel the same as the rest of us, i want nothing for them to suceed and continue running our team. but fact is they have been failing, last year was good, but surrounding one good year between 2 awful years doesnt cut it.

From what ive seen thus far this season, i do not see our season turning around in the 2nd half.

will i root for and believe we can win? heck yea i will, till the end of time.

But while logic is in my mind, the rams being in the bottom of most statistical catagories, and how horrific we've played, i dont see us turning a corner of any kind.

I would love for all our coaches and FO to stay, but with how we are playing i dont see us making a big splash in the 2nd half.

Unfortunatly i dont see them coming back. its sad, but will be needed.

I just hope the new HC wants Mcd to stay and continue Bradfords progression.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We need that 1st win to get the players back on board with Spags and his coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think the Rams have accomplished that since 2004, so I'm not going to hold my breath in thinking that this Rams team does it. While I agree the games are going to be more winnable down the line, it's going to take a big improvement in the type of Rams team we see on the field in those games to even come close to this kind of milestone. So in that respect, you may be right - if the Rams can somehow win five or six of their division games, something they haven't done in seven years and after the start they've had, that would probably be a good case for keeping the current regime.
    Nick opening day is in two weeks... Game one get your rally cap on... DVR The Walking Dead.

Tampa_Ram, will i root for and believe we can win? heck yea i will, till the end of time.
    That's what I'm talking about!

Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1
    The first half was obviously brutal, but we can control what we do from this point forward. WIN THE 2ND HALF OF THE SEASON. Get Bradford, Lloyd, Alexander and a healthy Clayton and Jackson out there together. Get Salas, Pettis and Kendricks going. Clean up the mistakes, play fundamentally sound football and let the chips fall where they may.
    Could not have said it any better... now can you get Spags to get this out to the player!

mh-i is offline Registered User

My bad the question was for mh-i', wondering if he thinks we needed to add six more players in addition to the starters that we lost for the year...
    Obviously it's your contention that the Rams defenfensive backs when healthy aren't part of the problem. None of the guys that are hurt are shutdown cornerbacks like other teams have. The Rams need that because Bartell and Flether while being OK corners are kind of soft. They don't scare anybody. We need an upgrade there and the safeties have been a disaster.

I definitely don't see how any of the injuries to the defense have very much to do with the offense scoring 5 touchdowns in 6 games.

So to answer your question I think the Rams on defense need 2 lineman, 2 linebackers and 1 corner and 1 safety. That's 6 on defense alone. Do you not agree?

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Obviously it's your contention that the Rams defenfensive backs when healthy aren't part of the problem. None of the guys that are hurt are shutdown cornerbacks like other teams have. The Rams need that because Bartell and Flether while being OK corners are kind of soft. They don't scare anybody. We need an upgrade there and the safeties have been a disaster.

I definitely don't see how any of the injuries to the defense have very much to do with the offense scoring 5 touchdowns in 6 games.

So to answer your question I think the Rams on defense need 2 lineman, 2 linebackers and 1 corner and 1 safety. That's 6 on defense alone. Do you not agree?
    Obviously it's your contention that the Rams defenfensive backs when healthy aren't part of the problem.
    Help me out here, which players would you keep, lets start there? The two lineman bot DT? LB both OLB?

The D has nothing to do with that..that fall under injuries and poor rookie play... That has more to do with SJ missing time... his first touch of the year was a 40 plus TD run! Then he sat..

Danny A... lost for the year same game..... MSW was a total wast of time... and rookies being rookies... all that being said the guys that are still play need to step up.

mh-i is offline Registered User

OK, I get it. You believe that if not for injuries the Rams would be in the middle of it, right? In other words 2011 0-6 soon to be 0-7 record is a fluke and the Rams are set once everybody is healthy but they should still beat the lousy teams in our division even if those players remain injured? You lost me there.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    OK, I get it. You believe that if not for injuries the Rams would be in the middle of it, right? In other words 2011 0-6 soon to be 0-7 record is a fluke and the Rams are set once everybody is healthy but they should still beat the lousy teams in our division even if those players remain injured? You lost me there.

I think if we where healthy we would be 2-4 right now, that being said we would still not be a very good football team. Too many players just not playing well.

The FA that where brought in this year just have stunk except Poppinga and Harvey Dahl, they have played ok..

MSW cut..
    Bannan has not played well holding the point.
    Leber has stunk and now benched.
    Zac Diles cut did not make the 53 man roster.

Then there is the players that are just getting old and their play has dropped off... Hall and Robbins.

Going in most of us thought our WR where the weak link and we all where right.
    Most of us thought before the year started the Gibson would be cut for sure and then he had this great camp and looked like he was doing to break out... nope! Gibson has 17 catches for 214 yards and more then his fair share of drops.

In other words 2011 0-6 soon to be 0-7 record is a fluke and
    No I don't think this record is a fluke it's part of the game injuries... BUT IF we had some key players I think we could have one two games as I said.

the Rams are set once everybody is healthy but they should still beat the lousy teams in our division even if those players remain injured? You lost me there.
    I think we can beat the lousy teams only because we Added Lloyd and we all know we needed a guy that can truly get separation and make some plays. He was not here for the 0-5 start. Also the addition of Clayton a guy that had such an impact with Bradford last year. The fact the SJ missed and was not at full speed for 4 of the 6 games should be considered. So in short on the offense side of the ball, we got better with three key players we did not have in the first half.

The defense is what it is... guys named early have to play better... I don't see the hags scoring three TD in the first quarter and blowing us out of the game so i think we can compete and wins some games in the second half.

If we find a way to win does not mean next year when the secondary gets healthy we are set, we are still a mess.. we have a ton of work to do.

I'm not sure that Billy is the guy to build the team going forward. I have lost more faith in him the Spags...
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

And winning the rest of the Games in the NFC-West proves? Even if the Rams some how wins the NFC-West and enters the playoffs, it would be an embarassement to football to see them play--sorry but often times truth is an ugly reality. The opening games of this season where the show case, the test of how well the Rams have progressed--and the Rams have come up wanting BADLY! You can throw out the 2010 season where the Rams where a game short of the playoffs and chalk it up as a fluke.

SO what does it say about the Rams and its organization? The Rams have have how many top 10 draft picks in how many years? Its starting to feel like the Rams have become the Lions of old. Seriously it will take a serious NFL minded HC and FO to turn the Rams around and another 3 years before the Rams are serious contenders in the playoffs--assuming someone that grabs the reins and knows football

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast