throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Could this be the best five?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Could this be the best five?

The Rams always say they will put the best five out there. If Joseph returned to pro bowl form, could this be our best five?

Jake Long (T)
    Davin Joseph (G)
    Scott Wells (C)
    Rodger Saffold (G)
    Greg Robinson (T)

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Could this be the best five?

Considering the fact that Davin Joseph was beyond terrible last season, I'd say no. Plus, I don't want Greg Robinson anywhere on the right side of the line.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Considering the fact that Davin Joseph was beyond terrible last season, I'd say no. Plus, I don't want Greg Robinson anywhere on the right side of the line.
    What part of, If Joseph returned to pro bowl form did you not understand? If you think Greg Robinson not better then Barksdale I get that, not sure I agree.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

LT Long
    LG Robinson
    C Wells
    RG Saffold
    RT Barksdale

If Joseph returned to pro-bowl form, I still don't know if I'm comfortable with Robinson playing on the edge so soon.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Barksdale is doing an above average job at RT, why take him out?
    RealRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I hope Robinson stays at left guard his rookie year. That of course would likely mean Jake Long is and stays healthy. Having two really large excellent athletes on Sam's blind side both of whom excel at run blocking, should be a real plus. Our coaching staff needs to put rookies in the best position to succeed early. Flanked by both Long and Wells, Greg will be mentored by two experienced Pro Bowl veterans. Conversely, placing him on an island at RT right off the bat could set him back. I think the Rams want to use Robinson as a bulldozer initially. Greg should be capable in that role from day one.

That said, if the coaching staff believes that Robinson clearly is a better option than Barksdale, then maybe they would. However, Barksdale was able to hold off Rodger Saffold last year, so I'd say the odds are pretty long that Robinson starts his career playing RT. Obviously if there are injuries, all bets are off as to who plays where.

Maybe the best five midseason could be Long, Robinson, Barrett Jones, Saffold and Barksdale. It will be interesting to see how our O-line shakes out by game 1.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Because as he said in the initial post it's with Joseph returning to Pro Bowl form. Barksdale was decent last year but not pro bowl form. Plug in a PB at LG and it's easy to move Robinson out to RT. Everybody is in love with the job coach Boudreau did with Barksdale last year and thinks it's the greatest thing to ever happen on a Rams OLine. Yet they ignore the idea that Boudreau could do even more with a player who has more natural talent than Barksdale. I don't think he's the pinnacle of RT talent the Rams should be hoping for so if Joseph regains his Pro Bowl level by all means lets give Robinson the shot at RT. Put the best five out there and win with them.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I hope Robinson stays at left guard his rookie year. That of course would likely mean Jake Long is and stays healthy. Having two really large excellent athletes on Sam's blind side both of whom excel at run blocking, should be a real plus. Our coaching staff needs to put rookies in the best position to succeed early. Flanked by both Long and Wells, Greg will be mentored by two experienced Pro Bowl veterans. Conversely, placing him on an island at RT right off the bat could set him back. I think the Rams want to use Robinson as a bulldozer initially. Greg should be capable in that role from day one.

That said, if the coaching staff believes that Robinson clearly is a better option than Barksdale, then maybe they would. However, Barksdale was able to hold off Rodger Saffold last year, so I'd say the odds are pretty long that Robinson starts his career playing RT. Obviously if there are injuries, all bets are off as to who plays where.

Maybe the best five midseason could be Long, Robinson, Barrett Jones, Saffold and Barksdale. It will be interesting to see how our O-line shakes out by game 1.
    Have faith in Boudreau! He turned Barksdale into an adequate RT, I'm sure he can coach Robinson up to be even better than Barksdale.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It's simple - if it ain't broke - try and fix it anyway ..
    sosa39rams likes this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Does anybody have the PFF ratings for how Barksdale and Saffold performed at RT?

I think it is so very early. "If's" are nice and it occupies the time, but there are so many "if's" that it is difficult to narrow down. For instance, "if" Barrett Jones stands out in TC......"if" Barksdale hurts a paw......"if" Long is 100% healthy........."if" a frog doesn't hop......

I do know this though, without any "if's", the Rams OL is significantly better out the door and the depth is significantly improved as well.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    What part of, If Joseph returned to pro bowl form did you not understand? If you think Greg Robinson not better then Barksdale I get that, not sure I agree.
    Well the chances of Davin Joseph returning to pro bowl player are much lower than him not returning to a pro bowl player. If he did? I'd trade him in 2 minutes.

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is online now Registered User

Well the chances of Davin Joseph returning to pro bowl player are much lower than him not returning to a pro bowl player. If he did? I'd trade him in 2 minutes.
    weren't injuries causing his lack of performance? If he stays healthy i'm sure he would fare MUCH better

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    weren't injuries causing his lack of performance? If he stays healthy i'm sure he would fare MUCH better
    Doubt it.. He played the entire 2013 season healthy and was terrible according to people who've watched the tape. I think it's a decent move because I anticipate him being a backup with some potential to get back to top form (legit no risk and actually a decent reward) so I'm not mad but I don't expect anything from Joseph.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Have faith in Boudreau! He turned Barksdale into an adequate RT, I'm sure he can coach Robinson up to be even better than Barksdale.
    Well Paul had better coach up Robinson to be better than Barksdale. The number 2 overall pick? After a couple of years he should be our best lineman. Right now, assuming Long comes back healthy and there aren't any other O-line injuries, I would hope to see Robinson start at left guard.

I think signing Davin Joseph was a prudent move, but my guess is he is more of a depth acquisition at this point. Putting Greg Robinson out on an island at right tackle as a rookie when it isn't required at this juncture seems questionable, but I'm a fan, not a coach. Sandwiched between Long and Wells at left guard, young Greg should taste success early and often. Those two veterans will be superb mentors. Zac Stacy is probably licking his chops already in anticipation.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Doubt it.. He played the entire 2013 season healthy and was terrible according to people who've watched the tape.
    Everything I have read has indicated that he was not fully recovered last year. With some injuries, it can take an extra year before a player returns to form.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast