Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Could this be the best five?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Could this be the best five?

The bigger question is; "can Long be ready for the season opener"?''

I say no way does he make it back with the injuries he suffered. ...ACL and MCL injury? If he somehow does, he'll be much less effective. That will be the defining question on the Oline. The Rams know this and that's why they're added the depth they have, I believe. I'm not counting on Long playing effectively this year and think that his career may be over. Just my feelings.

Faithful Rams fan since 1968

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'm just happy we have this problem. The coaching staff will figure it all out.
    MauiRam and Aussie Dave like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I'm just happy we have this problem. The coaching staff will figure it all out.
    Exactly. Have too much talent isn't a problem. Implies to me Dahl isn't coming back.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Well the chances of Davin Joseph returning to pro bowl player are much lower than him not returning to a pro bowl player. If he did? I'd trade him in 2 minutes.
    Excerpted from Tevin Bronner's blurb on Joeseph
    Joseph is 31 and a two-time Pro Bowler. However, it's still up in the air on what role Joseph will have with the Rams. By all accounts in 2013 he had a horrible year. The year before that he was shelved for the entire year, so there's still hope that he can come in and start a game or two if need be. Plus he's only in town on a one year contract.

Seems like an insurance/depth signing. We shall see.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Excerpted from Tevin Bronner's blurb on Joeseph
    Joseph is 31 and a two-time Pro Bowler. However, it's still up in the air on what role Joseph will have with the Rams. By all accounts in 2013 he had a horrible year. The year before that he was shelved for the entire year, so there's still hope that he can come in and start a game or two if need be. Plus he's only in town on a one year contract.

Seems like an insurance/depth signing. We shall see.
    I hate to say it, but Tevin Broner is a no-one. Literally.. He's one of my "internet friends" and he "writes" for TST...

THE DREAM TEAM

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I hate to say it, but Tevin Broner is a no-one. Literally.. He's one of my "internet friends" and he "writes" for TST...
    Well that makes two of us. I'm a nobody too, but my opinion is that Davin is an insurance/depth signing. Davin is getting up there, so a one year deal makes good sense. Glad to have him aboard.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The Rams always say they will put the best five out there. If Joseph returned to pro bowl form, could this be our best five?

Jake Long (T)
    Davin Joseph (G)
    Scott Wells (C)
    Rodger Saffold (G)
    Greg Robinson (T)
    I'm pretty sure Joseph played primarily at RG for the Bucs. So if Joseph returns to a Pro Bowl level, why not...

LT Long
    LG Robinson
    C Wells
    RG Joseph
    RT Saffold

That way you keep Robinson in training mode for an eventual shift to the left tackle spot, and still upgrade over Barksdale with a healthy Saffold, who was the preferred RT option in 2013 when he was able to play. Barksdale becomes a great swing tackle, and a guy who can start at RT in case Saffold has to shift inside due to a Joseph injury or falter.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Great question. Agree with Trevor about leaving Big Bark in at T. Also agree with RFRH about Long not being 100% ready so the opening lineup, IMO, could be...

Greg Robinson (T)
    Davin Joseph (G)
    Tim Barnes (C) - Scott Wells in close competition
    Rodger Saffold (G)
    Joe Barksdale (T)

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Well that makes two of us. I'm a nobody too, but my opinion is that Davin is an insurance/depth signing. Davin is getting up there, so a one year deal makes good sense. Glad to have him aboard.
    I agree 100%. If Davin Joseph plays this year it'll be considered an issue (injuries), not a blessing (pro bowl form regained).

THE DREAM TEAM

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Great question. Agree with Trevor about leaving Big Bark in at T. Also agree with RFRH about Long not being 100% ready so the opening lineup, IMO, could be...

Greg Robinson (T)
    Davin Joseph (G)
    Tim Barnes (C) - Scott Wells in close competition
    Rodger Saffold (G)
    Joe Barksdale (T)
    If Long isn't ready to go, I'd be absolutely shocked if Saffold isn't at LT. He's proven he's more than adequate playing the most important position on the OL. Robinson is a freak, with a lot of potential, but he's simply not ready to play LT, in my opinion.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Jake Long to start Rams training camp on PUP list?

By Chris Wesseling
    NFL / Around the League Writer
    Published: June 4, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.
    Updated: June 4, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

While coach Jeff Fisher fully expects quarterback Sam Bradford to be back under center in Week 1, the St. Louis Rams aren't quite as optimistic about left tackle Jake Long's recovery from ACL surgery.

A Rams source told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Wednesday it's too early to know if Long will be ready for the start of training camp in late July.

Long is "doing well," per the source, but is a candidate to start camp on the physically unable to perform list.

Because he had to wait for his torn MCL to heal, Long didn't go under the knife until late January. He's less than five months removed from reconstructive surgery.

The Rams did well to cover their bases should Long struggle to recapture last year's top-notch form. Starting guard Rodger Saffold can be shifted to Bradford's blindside if necessary, with freshly signed veteran guard Davin Joseph sliding in opposite mauling No. 2 overall draft pick Greg Robinson.

Even if Long's play falls off a bit this season, the offensive line is in better shape as a unit.
    That last line, encouraging. However, all the best to Jake Long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12