Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    majorram is offline Registered User

Could Bulger be MVP????

You know I've read this, that etc, about Bulger and do YOU think that we have a MVP QB on our hands????? He has no Warner looking over his shoulder, he knows its HIS team NOW, he has the supporting cast, minus injuries of course, the expensive OL, he knows the system...... Will Martz have trust in HIM... to make those key throws????

ME well I think we have a Quality QB, experienced, after last year, who can take us deep into the playoffs, but not MVP but heh WHO KNOWS in the NFL, I just hope he shows a slight bit more emotion this year... you never know what bulger is thinking, perhaps best heh LOL....

thoughts guys

steve :ramlogo:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Could Bulger be MVP????

It depends what MVP we're talking out. I don't think he's league MVP material right now and I'll explain why in a moment.

First, to me, there's a clear reason why Peyton Manning got part of the title and it's because he was consistently outstanding and dominant. He threw 566 passes and was incredibly accurate (67%), attained the most yards in the league, had one of the lowest percentages for interception, and was second in passing touchdowns. Some of his individual game performances speak for themselves and while I'm sure it helps to have Marvin Harrison on your team (which is why I can understand McNair getting a co-title), Harrison only accounted for a third of Manning's touchdowns and yards -- meaning Manning is spreading the ball around and still being accurate and efficient.

I think Bulger has the potential to be both accurate and efficient but I question whether or not he'll put up numbers that would make him dominant in the league, even in this offense. Of the top ten quarterbacks ranked in pass attempts, only one had a better completion percentage than Bulger and that's the co-MVP Manning. But Bulger's touchdown percentage was average, and his interception percentage was poor. I'm not as critical of his interception percentage because of the offense the Rams run and the associated risks that are taken. However, unless Bulger can either (1) produce more touchdowns and more yards that make the INT total less of a factor or (2) cut down those interceptions while producing similar numbers in other categories, I don't think he has a realistic shot at a league MVP title.

But, what about a Super Bowl MVP? I should note that if I could compare Bulger to another player in terms of what type of QB he is, that player would be Tom Brady. Why? Because Bulger doesn't strike me as a guy like last year's Manning or 2001's Warner who's going to blow people away on the stat board. Yes, he puts up some good numbers and I think he has the potential to do much better, but I just don't see him as a stat machine. What I do see him as is a smart accurate QB that is going to do what it takes to help his team win, ala Brady. Since Brady's a two time Super Bowl MVP, I think if the Rams make it back to the Super Bowl and Bulger has a fairly good game, he could easily take that title. Look at Brady's MVP performance in SB36. It was hardly dominant -- less than 60% completion percentage and only 145 yards -- but worthy enough to be MVP of that game. His performance in last year's game was more impressive although attainable by talented passers. I think if the Rams can get to the Super Bowl, Bulger has a good chance of taking that game's MVP if he can play well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

What in the sam hell could possibly hold him back now? Everything has been put into place.

Major, it is interesting that you mention Martz. Supposedly it is the Martz system that makes the QB, so why can't Bulger put up numbers compared to what Warner did in his first three years as a starter in Martz' system? This is the season that Bulger should be able to put it all together in the Martz system. No more time for any freaking excuses. If he can't do it this season then it will indicate, to me, that it was more than just the system.

:ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He will be better than last year. I think his TDs will approach 30 and Ints. in the upper teens. He will further develop into one of the better NFL QBs. However, he will not be the NFL's MVP. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I just don't see that he can reach that pinnacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    But, what about a Super Bowl MVP?
    But when you're a QB on the Super Bowl winning team, it's a fair bet that you're going to be named SB MVP. And for the record, I've not done any research on that last comment (ie. Ray Lewis in SB35).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

I dare not even comment on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I dare not even comment on the subject.
    Chicken!!!

I double dare you....
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    What in the sam hell could possibly hold him back now?
    Skill, experience, and personnel, IMO.

Skill, experience, and personnel, IMO.
    IMO, he has had plenty of experience and he has the personnel

IMO, he has had plenty of experience and he has the personnel
    I disagree.

I disagree.
    figures....agree to disagree then....LOL

moklerman is offline Registered User

Well, I think Bulger won't be winning an MVP, this year anyway, since he would have to put up such huge numbers to get the right kind of attention. If he winds up at or around a bunch of other qb's statistically I think his supporting cast will work against him as far as the voters go. Guys like Brady are perceived to be doing more with less and I think voters would lean in that direction rather than a guy who is on an offense perceived, in general, to be potent and high scoring.

figures....agree to disagree then....LOL

I'm sure you weren't surprised.

I got to wondering what are Bulger's chances of winning the MVP award based on historically data, not his stats but league historical data. So here we go. Of the last 17 MVPs (which actually captures 14 seasons because of 3 years of co-MVPs), there are:

12 QBs, 5 RBs
    12 from NFC, 5 from AFC
    The MVPs team record averaged 13-3 (ranging from 9-7 to 15-1)
    5 SB champions
    4 SB runners-up
    5 Conference runners-up (4 NFC, 1 AFC)
    All 17 made the playoffs.

So for Bulger:
    he plays the right position in the right conference
    his team's record is well within the proper parameters
    he would do well to make the SB, but not necessary
    he HAS to make the playoffs.

So what does all this mean......little, if anything at all, but I found it kind of interesting. Enjoy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I got to wondering what are Bulger's chances of winning the MVP award based on historically data, not his stats but league historical data. So here we go. Of the last 17 MVPs (which actually captures 14 seasons because of 3 years of co-MVPs), there are:

12 QBs, 5 RBs
    12 from NFC, 5 from AFC
    The MVPs team record averaged 13-3 (ranging from 9-7 to 15-1)
    5 SB champions
    4 SB runners-up
    5 Conference runners-up (4 NFC, 1 AFC)
    All 17 made the playoffs.

So for Bulger:
    he plays the right position in the right conference
    his team's record is well within the proper parameters
    he would do well to make the SB, but not necessary
    he HAS to make the playoffs.

So what does all this mean......little, if anything at all, but I found it kind of interesting. Enjoy.
    As a sidenote on this, did you know in the last 30 years only 2 defensive players have won the MVP? LT in 86, and Merlyn Olson (who shared it with Ken Stabler) in 74. It's a crying shame, Tx.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Offense gets all the glory and dissecting posts....(see nick and mokler...LOL) and the defense just wins championships....(see the tackle).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast