BoJangles is offline Registered User

Could it get any better than this?

This is the time of year where I look around everywhere to find every mock and opinion I can, but usually there's one or two picks I really don't like. I stumbled upon this one, though, yesterday, which I think would honestly give us the best first three rounds of the draft. Here it is

Quote Originally Posted by MockDraftClub
    14. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    We view this pick as a slam dunk for the Rams. Sam Bradford was tremedous for the Rams this season, leading them within one game of the playoffs (regardless of the circumstances, you can't take that away from him). The scary thing is he was doing that with Mark Clayton (until his injury), Danny Amendola, Laurent Robinson, and Danario Alexander at wide receiver. Not exactly a bunch of household names right there. Think about it, Baltimore just gave up on Clayton and kicked him out of town, and Bradford was able to make him look like a Pro Bowler the until his season ended early. Now imagine what he could do with a full blown stud like Julio Jones, who would be a favorite for Rookie of the Year should he land in St. Louis.

Jones lit it up with Bama, and should continue to do so in the pros. Scouts were talking about him being a top 15 pick coming into college as a freshman. Three years and one national championship later, he has done nothing to prove them wrong. He's a big receiver who has provided steady production in a mostly run first offense on one of the best teams in the best conference in the country. What more could you ask for? Jones is built for the pro game and should be able to make an impact right away. There have been concerns about him dropping too many balls, but the same thing has been said about Brandon Marshall and Terrell Owens, and he isn't half the headache that those two are, either. If the Rams do opt for Julio Jones, expect big things this year under the direction of new coordinator Josh McDaniels, who has been able to put up mind-boggling numbers passing the ball amidst every circumstance over the past few years.

47. Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    Rudolph could very easily end up being a late first or early second round pick, especially if a team decides to trade up to get him. The issue was just that most teams didn't need a tight end and the ones that did had more glaring needs elsewhere. Rudolph is a complete tight end and undoubtedly the best one in this class. Josh McDaniels traded up to get Richard Quinn in Denver, which do we realize was a huge mistake. The point is that obviously he wants to work a young tight end into his offense. With all due respect to Michael Hoomanawanui and Billy Bajema, they are not on Rudolph's level. Given the success Sam Bradford had throwing to them last year, Rudolph would be a great upgrade who would certainly see his fair share of balls from the league's Offensive ROY.

78. Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh
    Greg Romeus is a real steal in the third round. The co-Defensive Player of the Year in '09, Romeus had a horrific year that included back surgery and a torn ACL. That will certainly scare teams off, but he was a potential first round pick coming into the year so why not take a chance on him. James Hall, although still productive, is 34 and a successor needs to be found. The reward of a healthy Romeus is certainly worth the risk here.
    Bradford would get two new great weapons and we'd have someone to groom behind James Hall. Do you guys think we can do any better than this?
    Last edited by Nick; -02-24-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Removing link

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: Could it get any better than this?

McDaniels does not use TE's enough to justify drafting one with our second round pick. DeSpags have been great at picking second round starters and I feel this would be a waste of a pick. Other than that I like the way the first and third round looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    McDaniels does not use TE's enough to justify drafting one with our second round pick. DeSpags have been great at picking second round starters and I feel this would be a waste of a pick. Other than that I like the way the first and third round looked.
    He did take Richard Quinn in the 2nd round, though, like the mock says, so I guess he wants to use one if he has a capable one. Quinn was just a bust. Give him someone legit like Rudolph and I think he would find ways to utilize him for sure

KCRamFan is offline Registered User

I agree about the TE. If the draft was going like that, I would opt for S DeAndre McDaniel who went 2 spots later.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No thanks on the TE. I am not too sure why people are so quick to bash Hoomanwanui.

Yeah especially with O.J. being a FA. Rudolph is a borderline first round pick tho so I couldn't complain with that

I really like what I've seen from Hoomanawanui, too, but Bradford made Jermaine Gresham a first round pick at Oklahoma so I'd love to see what he could do with Rudolph

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Even if Rudolph falls into the 2nd round, I'd still consider that a luxury pick based on the weapons we have. Now I'm not overexaggerating on how great Hoomanawanui, Fells, Bajema, or Onobun is but I'd prefer giving these guys another chance to see what they got under the McDaniels system. If we were to draft a TE in the 2nd round whilst knowing we still have issues in other areas such as OLB, SS, and depths at DE and DT, we might as well draft Mark Ingram in the 1st round knowing that we're getting a luxury pick out of a high round.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

welcome to the Clan BoJangles.

i tend to agree with the folks who are against us drafting Rudulph but i`ll leave it at that as i don`t want to end up discouraging new members from posting.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    He did take Richard Quinn in the 2nd round, though, like the mock says, so I guess he wants to use one if he has a capable one. Quinn was just a bust. Give him someone legit like Rudolph and I think he would find ways to utilize him for sure
    Yeah, but Quinn was more of a blocking TE than anything. He never did much in the way of route running and receiving to justify where he was selected.
    Shees...sure glad McDaniels is not in charge of personnel like he was in Denver. One of the all-time train wrecks considering what he started with.

WHAT SAY YE?

Haha yeah thank god he's not making personnel decisions, he was one of the worst in recent memory. I think I ascribe more to the BPA approach b/c it seems to work for teams like Baltimore and New England so that's why I had no problem with Rudolph. I can see why you'd be against it though.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

In an interview (on stlouisrams.com I think), Billy said how he is really going to stick to the board this year, he talked about how in the past in later rounds he reached on need, and it still bothers him because they didn't pan out. So if this Rudolph kid is several grades higher than anyone else on the board, I could see us drafting him.