Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamTime Guest

"It could have been a touchdown the other way." Bulger

"I was a half-second away from letting the ball go," Bulger said. "It could have been a touchdown the other way."

Is Bulger saying he had someone wide open that could have gone the distance from the end zone? I sure would like to know what he saw.

maineram Guest

Re: "It could have been a touchdown the other way." Bulger

From an interview after the game, Bulger said they had called a deep route for Bruce from the coverage he was getting. Bruce was open and Bulger was waiting for the play to fully develop, before launching a sure big play to the veteran wideout. Only to have Pace wiff on a block and the rest is history. Martz going for the jugular from his own endzone. Who says that he's gone conservative with his play calling ???

Maineram :ramlogo:

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram
    sMartz going for the jugular from his own endzone. Who says that he's gone conservative with his play calling ???
    Yes, it would have been exciting to see a 99 yard bomb. But to call a slow-developing play just seconds after a safety was barely averted, when MB will have little to no pocket to step up in to ... well you're right that is just another Martzian call.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As maine said, there was a route that was longer in development but appeared to be open, and Marc was looking for it. Not a great play call by Martz; a quick slant or out probably would have had better results. Although if Pace holds off his defender for half a second more, you're looking at what sounds like a 99-yard TD.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

coy bacon Guest

Bulger said, "Coulda, shoulda, woulda..."
    "If only,..."

And to quote that brilliant secret agent, "Missed it by that much."

Shadesofgrey Guest

All you had to do is look at Bulger's words to see that it wasn't a Martz play call, but an attempt by Bulger to take advantage of favorable coverage...I often wonder how well some of you understand the game of football???

"It could have been a touchdown the other way, couldn't it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    ...I often wonder how well some of you understand the game of football???
    Me too. I share your bemusement. Remind me to ask myself that some time.

tanus is offline Registered User

weird, i always thought martz called the plays!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    All you had to do is look at Bulger's words to see that it wasn't a Martz play call, but an attempt by Bulger to take advantage of favorable coverage...I often wonder how well some of you understand the game of football???
    It wasn't a Martz play call? Then who exactly called it? Certainly not Bulger himself, because we know Martz isn't keen on having his QB imitate Peyton Manning at the line of scrimmage pre-snap. Or are you suggesting it was a pre-snap hot route or option route by Bruce?

I don't think there's any question that Marc was trying to take advantage of favorable coverage, but if you have information showing that Martz didn't call this play, I'd like to see it. Considering the stranglehold Martz has over the offensive playcalling, it's hard for me to believe he didn't select this play, and we know that Rams QBs don't change the play at the line often at all.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-23-2004 at 02:29 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman Guest

I agree with the sentiment that it was a bad play call by Martz/coaches. Bulger's comments appear to be an attempt to cover for him/them more than anything. Which isn't bad, he's just trying to put a positive spin on things. Martz just has a way of calling plays that blow up in his face. Timing is everything in this league.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Yes, it would have been exciting to see a 99 yard bomb. But to call a slow-developing play just seconds after a safety was barely averted, when MB will have little to no pocket to step up in to ... well you're right that is just another Martzian call.
    Ahh, C'mon, this was a classic Martz call when the Rams are behind on the scoreboard. Did you not complain about the call at the end of regulation during the carolina playoff game last season? No Guts No Glory......or something to that effect. Please excuse my memory if this indeed was not you.

Seems to me I remember you saying something about being a bit of a gambler.

I must ask:

Is it the timing of the gambling that you don't like or the failed execution, on the part of Pace, while gambling?

:ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    I must ask:

Is it the timing of the gambling that you don't like ...
    You shouldn't have to. Of course it was the timing of the bet. Just having blown pass protection a play earlier wouldn't inspire me into believing pass protection execution would be much improved the very next play ... I would align with Seiler on this one and have tried a quick slant to stifle the MO ... if he gets about 10 maybe I go with a fly ... even it is anticipated on 3rd and intercepted, its got to be a better result than a Landeada punt ...

tanus is offline Registered User

hmmm, so 3rd down from our 10 and bugler throws a pick and you think that would be alright?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    You shouldn't have to. Of course it was the timing of the bet. Just having blown pass protection a play earlier wouldn't inspire me into believing pass protection execution would be much improved the very next play
    So, you are saying never pass on consecutive downs if the previous attempt netted zero execution with pass protection.

Since gambling is out of the equation, should we insert faith, or just go with hindsight?

Really, you must take a stand on something, because we all know hindsight is worthless.

:confused:

It could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    hmmm, so 3rd down from our 10 and bugler throws a pick and you think that would be alright?
    Let's not dissect all the permutations, but yes ... if the net result is better field position for the D to start from as a result of the interception as opposed to the punt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast