Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Could Holt End Up In Arizona?

I'll be watching the whole situation with Anquan Bolden in Arizona, because it could logically end up affecting the Rams. Now, most fans would look at the Cardinals, with tons of cap room, in a new stadium with fans pumped up about the team more than ever, and think they will surely keep Bolden.

However, this is the Cardinals, plus Bolden probably knows he'll always be in Larry's shadow, and might want to go somewhere else. The cap room is really not an issue, because it's more about the massive up front money Bolden will want.

The Cardinals have a bunch of players they have to re-sign, including Kurt Warner, and star LB Karlos Dansby. They also have to look to add a good running back, probably in free agency, as it looks like Edgerin James is as good as gone.

So I'm saying Bolden goes, though maybe not to Carolina, who lacks the cap room and deep pockets to add another big patcheck, when they have guys named Peppers and Gross to try to keep.

Tampa Bay also needs receivers, and has the cap to do a deal. The Niners could weigh in as well.

I say the Cards see Bolden's value in a weak year at the position, and trade him for an early first rounder.

Now, you have Warner maybe talking retirement, but how about if we go out and get your old pal Torry Holt, they ask?

Torry makes good money, but it isn't guaranteed, and it's way less than Bolden was getting. You don't have any big up front cost either, and you can get him for a late #2 pick.

Now the Rams draft Michael Crabtree, who their scouts will fall in love with at the combine and workouts, use the cap saved on Holt to be able to keep Pace and maybe Little, sign Atogwe and Bartell, and sign free agents center Jason Brown of the Ravens and strong safety James Butler of the Giants.

With your two #2 picks, you take a middle linebacker and a cornerback or defensive end/pass rusher, and then an offensive tackle high in round three.

So I guess I'm rooting for the Bidwills to mess it up.

Barry Waller

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Could Holt End Up In Arizona?

I really don't see Holt fitting in with that Cards offense. Plus, his trade value will be a bit lower since he's older, and it looks like he could want out of here as soon as his contract is up anyway (hopefully this is where Spags' culture change will change that though!).
    And if the Niners got Holt... Bruce and Holt together on the Niners!?!?! I think I may have severely sinned by just saying that.

I could see Tampa Bay asking for him though, but I don't think we'd look to trade him.

RAMPAGE! is offline Registered User

Wooooow I too have late night fantasies of having two second round pics but I would highly doubt this plays out. I would love to keep Holt although I am not sure it will work out with our current cap status.

In a perfect world we get a second roundrer for Torry but I doubt we get anything more than a fourth due to age and recent injuries.

I will definately keep my fingers crossed for your lightning in a bottle scenario

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Funny I was thinking about the same thing yesterday when I read somewhere that Boldin was as good as gone in Arizona.

I think if they get Warner to stay they have one or two shots at another superbowl. In that timeframe Holt could be a VERY good fit for them.

But I do not think we can get a second round for him eventhough it would be sweet.

A-Web is offline Registered User

In the event this trade occurs, it could also possibly look like this, for you dreamers out there of course ; )

Torry Holt + 4th Round Draft pick = 2nd round draft pick.
    TADA! Look, there's your magic draft pick!

Hehe, anyways, I don't think Holt is Arizona bound. He has pretty much stated that Carolina is the dream spot to finish up in, and Carolina needs some receivers. He wouldn't demand much money (they have low cap space) and he just wants to wrap up a career there. He could probably end up there for free, just to play where he wants to. Not to mention, they actually have a decent team already. Good defense, strong running game, and Steve Smith. (Note; Steve Smith does not constitute a receiving game, but simply put...better.)

Add Torry Holt (the aged vet receiver who probably cannot run a 40 in less than 5.0, but still seems to find a way to get the passes and gain yards and or first downs in decent fashion on a decrepid offense that belongs to the St. Louis Rams) to that mix and you get...(drum roll) = Steve Smith + Receiving game!!!!!!! (Crowd Cheering Ridiculously Loud)

And that's my 2 cents...well more like 5 dollars worth.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

With their new coach, I can see boldin being our neighboor in KC

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

An interesting theory, indeed. If we don't fix our O-line, all of it will be for naught and Bulger will end his career like Rich Gannon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I can see Holt going to several places.

First, we MIGHT be able to keep him in St. Louis if he is willing to restructure his contract. I doubt this, as he is still not too happy with the way things have been going the past few years.

He might end up in Seattle. God knows they need all the help they can get.

Zona is a good fit for him, this is a good probablility.

Carolina could use him, but not as badly as some might think.

Green Bay would also be a good fit for him.

So would Minnesota.

San Francisco wouldn't be a good fit - the offense isn't tailored to Holt's style, IMO.

Chicago would be another place he might fit in well.

I say we just wait until it happens, then I'll make my guess.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barry is the most reliable and knowledgeable poster on this board. I wish he would stop by more often. While his post is speculation, its highly educated speculation. I certainly wouldnt dismiss his scenario as a legitimate possibility.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

sounds good,lets do it,I can't believe that nobody has said anything about drafting Crabtree,I thought after reading this guys would go nust because the safe pick is an o-lineman,and I agree with that but if they think Crabtree is the next Fitzgerald than I am all for it,we will get a quality lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    sounds good,lets do it,I can't believe that nobody has said anything about drafting Crabtree,I thought after reading this guys would go nust because the safe pick is an o-lineman,and I agree with that but if they think Crabtree is the next Fitzgerald than I am all for it,we will get a quality lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Thank you for putting it that way. Whenever people insult the thought of getting Crabtree, because it's a risky pick, and because of this or that, I start to wonder who they would think we should pick. When it comes to defense, I can understand a 1st round defensive line pick. But when an opportunity to have a playmaker come on the team that CAN make a difference comes up, they want to sit back and pick up a blocker. Not saying that blocker is a bad choice, but you can get guys in the second and third round who can block just as good. They might not be as tailored and flawless, but that's not what you need. You need a guy who will protect the QB and support the run. Most of that can be taught. Especially by a guy (Spags) who made his career highlight doing so for the Giants.

Spags can take a normal lineman and make him great. Lets work on getting leadership, and guys who can step up and make the big plays when needed.

When I watched the Superbowl, I was fascinated by how many times, as a Rams fan, I could just go;

Wow, that was an awesome play. I wish we had guys on our team that could do that.

-like when Fitzgerald split the defense and went straight up the middle
    -like when Harrison grabbed that ball and ran it 100 YARDS!
    -like when Holmes made his whatever number game winning catch with two feet planted, teetering over the outside of the endzone.

All these things happened, and not for us. I am jealous, and I'm tired of being so. I want people to look at the Rams and go, "I wish we had somebody like that!"

Just once, that would make my day.

That is all.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Could Holt End Up In Arizona?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Torry makes good money, but it isn't guaranteed, and it's way less than Bolden was getting. You don't have any big up front cost either, and you can get him for a late #2 pick.

Now the Rams draft Michael Crabtree, who their scouts will fall in love with at the combine and workouts, use the cap saved on Holt to be able to keep Pace and maybe Little, sign Atogwe and Bartell, and sign free agents center Jason Brown of the Ravens and strong safety James Butler of the Giants.

With your two #2 picks, you take a middle linebacker and a cornerback or defensive end/pass rusher, and then an offensive tackle high in round three.

So I guess I'm rooting for the Bidwills to mess it up.
    I really like your scenario in the second I would prefer to get a NT with one of the picks and either a MLB or CB in that order with the other pick.

With our 2nd second round pick I would like to get DT Ron Brace to play NT. May need to use a later round pick to move up a few spots to get him.
    With our 1st 2nd round pick I would like to get one of these MLBs if they fall to us:
    James Laurinatis 6'3 240
    Brain Cushing 6'3 255
    Clint Sintim 6'3 255

If they don't fall to us then I would want one of these CBs:
    D. J. Moore 5'10 182 4.45
    Sean Smith 6'3 214 has ran a 4.4 normally 4.5 range

Round 3 (I like your idea of getting an OT here):
    Fenuki Tupou OT 6'6 325

Round 4 (MLB or CB which ever was not taken round 2)

OL
    LT-Pace / Alex Barron
    LG-Incognito
    C- Jason Brown 6'3 320 (F/A Ravens)
    RG- Bell / Greco
    RT-Fenuki Tupou 6'6 325 / Alex Barron

QB
    Bulger

RB
    Jackson

FB
    Quinn Johnson 6'1 262 (late round draft pick)

WR
    Crabtree 6'3 215
    Avery
    Burton
    Stanley

TE
    McMichael

DL
    DE - Long
    DT - Brace 6'3 330
    DT - Carricker
    DE - Little

LB
    OLB - Pisa / Chirs Draft
    MLB - 2nd/4th round pick
    OLB - Witherspoon

CB - Bartell
    CB - 2nd/4th round pick / Tye Hill / Justin King

FS - Atogwe
    SS - James Butler 6'3 215 (F/A Giants)

So in summary your proposal would be a very good off season.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-08-2009 at 08:31 PM.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Not a chance Holt ends up in Arizona. Not to a division rival for one thing. For another, they like Breaston, they drafted Doucet in the 2nd round last year and they like Urban too. They have no need for Holt even if they do lose Boldin, while they have plenty of needs elsewhere, which includes re-signing Dansby, Docket, Antonio Smith, and there are rumblings that Adrian Wilson may be looking for a new contract too.

The damage done in the Boldin situation is probably irreversable. They don't have to trade him but they probably will, and likely will be trying to get a pick for him that will give them a shot at Benie Wells or Knowshon Moreno or perhaps to add one of the top OT's to an O-line that needs one.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Not a chance Holt ends up in Arizona. Not to a division rival for one thing.

- Just like Isaac Bruce?

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    The damage done in the Boldin situation is probably irreversable. They don't have to trade him but they probably will, and likely will be trying to get a pick for him that will give them a shot at Benie Wells or Knowshon Moreno or perhaps to add one of the top OT's to an O-line that needs one.
    That's what I'm thinking as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast