r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Could The Rams Be Hiring Two McDaniels?

Could the Rams be hiring two McDaniels?

BY JIM THOMAS
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:32 pm

The Rams added an offensive coordinator, but are now minus a quarterbacks coach. At a press conference Wednesday to formally announce the hiring of Josh McDaniels as the team's new offensive coordinator, coach Steve Spagnuolo said that assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Dick Curl is retiring.

That could open the door for McDaniels to bring in his brother Ben as quarterbacks coach. Ben McDaniels was the QB coach for Josh, his older brother, this season with the Denver Broncos

"I very much appreciate Dick's commitment to this team, the organization, and really his hand in the development of Sam Bradford this past year," Spagnuolo said.

Spagunolo said he has yet to talk with McDaniels about whether or not the team will add a quarterbacks coach.

"We haven't really had that discussion because this is fairly new," Spagnuolo said.

When asked if McDaniels might hire his brother, Spagnuolo replied: "We have not talked about that. When we sat down that was not an issue to talk about."

Spagnuolo said there's also a possibility that McDaniels could handle both the coordinator and quarterback coach duties.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Could The Rams Be Hiring Two McDaniels?

I'd like for the team to add a QB coach, someone to groom as a future OC if McDaniels does go for another HC gig.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Looks like the offense is going through a complete overhaul in the system. Though having his brother around to continue Bradford's development will do wonders for this team if Josh McD ever decides to try another HC gig.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I'd like for the team to add a QB coach, someone to groom as a future OC if McDaniels does go for another HC gig.
    i`d agree with that..but if it were to be McDaniels kid brother then i expect he would go to be his OC anyway.
    it will be interesting to see how this one pans out tho..the first situation to deal with since McD arrived.
    sometimes good signal callers have come from being coaches of other positions too tho so we could groom somebody else up and don`t worry about him having his bro as the QB coach.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Nolan Cromwell is a guy I think could learn the system and take over as OC if McDaniels leaves for head coaching gig. I would rather he brings in a QB coach who knows the system already and has some experience in it so it would be an easier transition to becoming our OC. I would prefer it not to be his brother because he would be more likely to follow McDaniels and become his OC instead of staying on and becoming our OC