Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Could Sauders make Leonard the next Cooley?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd like to see Leonard become the next Kevin Faulk - a guy who's nearly automatic on short passes on 3rd and 5.
    I have to agree with Av on this one. After watching B. Leonard last year this might be the one thing that he can do somewhat effectively. It was painfully apparent that he is too slow to be a dangerous RB and too small to be an effective FB. Sure is a sad appraisal for the 52nd player taken in the draft, and an even sadder commentary on our crack FO's ability to rate talent.

WHAT SAY YE?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd like to see Leonard become the next Kevin Faulk - a guy who's nearly automatic on short passes on 3rd and 5.
    Good point AV that might be his best use, and Saunders might find that out. Kevin Faulk was essential to that Cheatriot offense.

RealRam is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    As I understand it, the H-back position is defined as a hybrid between a fullback and a tight end. I don't think that describes Brian Leonard, who really is more of a hybrid between a running back and a full back. I think if you're looking for a player on the Rams' roster that would have the best chance to be used in that Cooley H-back role, it may be Joe Klopfenstein. It seemed as if Linehan started to do this last season, probably in large part because of a lack of a true fullback.

Hmm, by the same token, what about Richard Owens in lieu of Klop? Owens was used (sporadically) as a HB/FB blocker in running situations. Sure is big enough at 6-4, 270 -- slightly larger than Hedgecock but probably not as good -- and may have been playing more on a 'learning mode' than actually playing FB.

I wonder if Coaches Linehan and Saunders will keep Owens and release Walker; again, for the purpose of using him as a blocker?

Sorry to repeat this, "but" ... I'm just very excited about the outlook of our 2008 running game! Certainly more than last year.

Having Coach Saunders as the Rams OC, the possibilities he will have with our RBs. Greater things are sure to come about with his usage of Leonard as a key part of the arsenal: Jax - Leonard and/or Pittman [#2 <---> #3] and whatever schemes he comes up with this group.

Greater successes.

I hope Leonard does have a GREAT year. He's a very smart RB, very willing to do what is needed for the offense to be more efficient, and, I believe, will definitely be very hungry this year. Even if he plays a different game than Cooley does. Not a problem.

A more hungry group of Rams RBs led by Saunders. Watch out.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-06-2008 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmm, by the same token, what about Richard Owens in lieu of Klop? Owens was used (sporadically) as a HB/FB blocker in running situations. Sure is big enough at 6-4, 270 -- slightly larger than Hedgecock but probably not as good -- and may have been playing more on a 'learning mode' than actually playing FB.

I wonder if Coaches Linehan and Saunders will keep Owens and release Walker; again, for the purpose of using him as a blocker?
    I think Walker is a better blocker than Owens and I think we should keep him as our blocking TE. Blocking TE are very useful and essential in goaline and short yardage situations

RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I hate when people do this (no offense). Yes, he *might* show something behind a better line. But that is at best a hope, not a certainty. Given that he's shown nothing, I'd much rather see us bring in some competition for him or have Leonard and him battle it out than to have us assume it was because the line was banged up. That's the kind of thinking that's gotten this franchise into tons of problems over the years.

He isn't big enough to be a full time fullback like Centers could do. Other than that, sure.
    Larry Centers is a receiving back who does "some" blocking. Considering Leonard lost weight last season to not be a full back, I think his size isn't really an issue.

Pittman showed nothing? Really? A rookie, no training camp and shoved deep into the depth charts yet when called upon averaged 3.7 YPC with one of the worst offensive lines in the league and very little if any QB support. Yeah, he showed absolutely nothing.

Per the NFL website:

Larry Centers 6'0 225 lbs
    Brian leonard 6'1 226 lbs

I wouldn't say Centers is big enough to be a full time fullback and Brian Leonard isn't. Centers probably ended his career realistically at 235ish so that's at most 7-10 lbs. Centers didn't play at that weight most of his career.

Hodgins played at 275. But then again Hodgins wasn't an offensive threat with the ball.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-06-2008 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

chiguy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Just for the record, Centers was listed at 6'-0" and 225 lbs when he came onto the league. Brian Leonard came in at 6'-1" and 226 lbs. Nearly identical with Brian a tad bigger. Leonard will have an entire off season to get stronger, and hopefully gain a clearer idea of his role for the 2008 season. When Brian's college coach asked him to bulk up and play fullback, it was no problem for him, and he was able to maintain his weight (approximately 240 lbs) throughout the season. He lost the weight intentionally prior to entering the draft in order to run a quicker 40 time. (4.52 seconds) His 28 reps of 225 lbs wasn't too shabby either.
    Well, if you're going to use facts then its just not fair.

I sort of had the idea that writing that would come back to bit me in the tail, but I agree with the gist of what you're saying -- a lead blocker he ain't. That doesn't mean, though, that he can't be effective as a receiver and third down back like we see with Kevin Faulk. I'd be very happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Pittman showed nothing? Really? A rookie, no training camp and shoved deep into the depth charts yet when called upon averaged 3.7 YPC with one of the worst offensive lines in the league and very little if any QB support. Yeah, he showed absolutely nothing.
    You probably thought that we should've stuck with Hargrove too because he flahsed potential.

Pittman may yet be a good backup, but there is no reason to conclude that he was impressive. At the same time, there is no reason to think he stinks either. Quite the opposite, I wish people would just wait until we had a chance to evaluate him under reasonable conditions. In the meantime, why would any one object to bringing in more competition at that slot as long as it doesn't detract from a clearer need like pass rush?

You can save your sarcasm, because I'll be better at it then you, kid.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-06-2008 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chiguy View Post
    Pittman may yet be a good backup, but there is no reason to conclude that he was impressive. At the same time, there is no reason to think he stinks either. Quite the opposite, I wish people would just wait until we had a chance to evaluate him under reasonable conditions. In the meantime, why would any one object to bringing in more competition at that slot as long as it doesn't detract from a clearer need like pass rush?

You can save your sarcasm, because I'll be better at it then you, kid.

You're right, of course, in that Pittman hasn't proven himself with the Rams. Except for a couple of nice runs or three (including one big scamper), he hasn't had the opportunity to showcase his skills. The OL was in shambles last year, ditto for the offense to produce, etc., etc.

But ever since Pittman was acquired from New Orleans, I've been rooting for him. Based on 'potential' if you will --and we all know how little that can amount to, granted -- but again, I'm hoping and believing this young man will do well. Above average for a backup.

Competition from outside for our RBs? ...Bring it on! :r

I believe (no, really...) in these three for 08: Jax - Leonard - and Pittman. In what order and how Coach Saunders will utilize them to yield yardage, pass completions and points is to be seen but it seems we already have a good measure of RB power here.

Including the Pittman potential.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-06-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Tyop :-)

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'm not against competition for Pittman and Leonard. I just think there are other positions where competition might be more important to focus upon. For example, the Rams need a solid backup or starter to play OT, G, C, DE, OLB, FS and an upgrade at SS just off the top of my head. You can only do so much in one offseason. I think Pittman is considerably more interesting than a guy like Jerome Carter, Milligan or Todd Johnson at this point. I'd much rather focus the attention at competition in that area of the field.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-04-2008, 11:56 PM