Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Could Spags be too "old school" to win in this type of NFL?

You do need a good running game to win in the NFL that's true, but to win in today's NFL you have to throw the ball. I've never heard Spags put much emphasis in the passing game but that's where you win or lose ball games in today's NFL. Can Spags adjust? We shall see. I know that the talent level on this squad was way below the mendoza line but the way the Rams work the draft will indicate whether the Rams will adjust to the new style of play in the NFL or if they will try to buck the system and do it the old fashioned way.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Could Spags be too "old school" to win in this type of NFL?

Depends, passing games have weaknesses too and can be countered well with proper coverage by cornerbacks and TEs. Remember, defense wins championships.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You do need a good running game to win in the NFL that's true, but to win in today's NFL you have to throw the ball. I've never heard Spags put much emphasis in the passing game but that's where you win or lose ball games in today's NFL. Can Spags adjust? We shall see. I know that the talent level on this squad was way below the mendoza line but the way the Rams work the draft will indicate whether the Rams will adjust to the new style of play in the NFL or if they will try to buck the system and do it the old fashioned way.
    when talking about focusing on the running game, on many occasions, Spag's and devaney have balanced that with statements that you have to mix it up and can't be single dimensional on offense.

but, if your offense sucks as bad as the rams, you have to get back to your offensive roots. and while your post opines, you have to throw the ball to win in the nfl these days, i think his priority is to get a ground game established so that the passing game has a remote chance. we've seen what a passing game with no running game can get ya: hurt & tenderfoot qb's and 3+ dismal seasons.

so if spag's has got to pick between an air assault with bulger and rookie wr's OR a running game with SJ... i think the choice is clear. you run your beast of a running back and then mix in your passing.

spag's runs a west coast offense (or "will" once the rebuilding has progressed), so i don't have any fear that the Rams will only be a single dimension offense. the west coast offense can still get you W's in the nfl, it just needs a running game to open up the passing game and help the qb keep his jersey clean.

so to kinda answer your post, i don't think its a question of whether spags' can adjust.... i think its, can the team increase its talent level in order to start effectively implementing a full fledged (and operational) west coast offensive scheme.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Completely agree its a passing league. The Spread is fastly aproaching look at the Saints who just won the Superbowl. I think Devaney and Spags would have to blind not to see that. I think our top priorities this year should be getting a QB and weapons around that guy. IMO that comes before another need which is getting pressure on the QB.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Depends, passing games have weaknesses too and can be countered well with proper coverage by cornerbacks and TEs. Remember, defense wins championships.
    Believe me, as the unofficial official Secretary of ClanRam Defense, I used to agree with you about defenses winning champioinships. However, I've come to the conclusion that the defense isn't what wins championships anymore. You just need one that is gritty, but not necessarily dominant. The rule changes that have taken place in recent years have put much more emphasis on the offensive side of the ball than the defense. With that, you have to adjust philosophies when changes of this amount occur. You can't look at Brady anymore without getting a 15 yard penalty.

It's a pass happy league and that's how you win right now.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

For comparison's sake:
    Passing Attempts - Rushing Attempts
    Rams: 543 - 411
    Vikings: 553 - 467
    Saints: 544 - 468
    Colts: 601 - 366
    Cardinals: 594 - 365
    Jets: 393 - 607(yes, 607 rush attempts)

We were actually not running the ball much more than some of the playoff teams. The difference being that some of these guys are running to close out games when we are passing to stay in them - but we also were starting a 3rd string QB for some of the games too. Other than really the Colts and Cardinals we are in the ballpark of passing/rushing - and there you're talking about Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner, and both guys got taken down by some really good CB play by the Saints. The WR play and QB on this team have to get alot better, but I have no problem with what Spags considers a balanced offense.

Also, the year the colts won the superbowl they were more balanced: 551 passes / 446 rushes. I imagine the steelers and giants couldn't be far off of those either.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

fundamentals are fundamentals..the league hasn't changed as much as some people think, many of the old-school thinking teams have won superbowls over the last 5-10 years (giants, steelers, ravens, pats).

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Remember what Spag's defense did to the most prolific passing game since the GSOT a couple years ago?

I think Spags takes his offensive outlook by how he prepares his defense to stop offenses in general. For example, when preparing for opponents, it is possible he and his defenses had a much harder time with teams that had a strong running game, vs teams where you can just pin your ears back and go get their QB, ie Patriots. He knows what his defensive teams struggled with, so he tries to mimic them with his offensive scheme. I'm sure he would also tell you that teams can't JUST have a strong running game, ie Rams, but you have to respect the rush and the pass, ie Saints and Vikings.

So the short version, even though Brees, Farve, and Warner get all the praise, they still need Thomas, Bush, Peterson, Wells, and maybe Hoghtower to be the guys they are.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IMO Spags is one of the best defensive minds in the league. Hard to find many better especially when it comes to 4-3 defenses. We Saw that this year, when Spags set up his game plan to take out a part of an opponents game he succeeded even with sub par talent. IMO spags defensive mind allows us to make offense an even bigger priority. What Spags needs is Chris Long to progress to a 8-14 sack guy who provides consistent pressure. Give him another pass rusher on the D-line and I think he is good enough of a coach to make a defense you can win with.

That said I think Spags defensive prowess allows us join the new age NFL this draft. Namely a QB, Number 1 wide Receiver, and a Tight End. IMO find a pass rusher or 2 and focus on getting a QB and offensive weapons

helorm341 is offline Registered User

i think it's safe to say that the offense we've seen so far is not the ideal offense they'd like to be running when the team is turned around.

When you've got a banged up OL or Boller or Null starting there isn't a whole lot you can do. not to mention the carousel at WR

RealRam is offline Registered User

Excellent question TX.

And yes, I think the Rams will adjust. Old school is cool but Coach Spags and company (including Cromwell), will start firing more long-range cannon. ...They have to.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The Jets seemed to do alright without throwing the ball much. Who knows what would've happened in the AFC Championship game if Shonn Greene didn't get hurt. The Jets also had a good offensive line which for some reason the Rams are never able to get right, even after getting first round draft picks and high priced free agents.

I think the Rams can win with Spags' philosophy but like everyone else has said, players need to stay healthy and play up to their potential.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    For comparison's sake:
    Passing Attempts - Rushing Attempts
    Rams: 543 - 411
    Vikings: 553 - 467
    Saints: 544 - 468
    Colts: 601 - 366
    Cardinals: 594 - 365
    Jets: 393 - 607(yes, 607 rush attempts)

We were actually not running the ball much more than some of the playoff teams. The difference being that some of these guys are running to close out games when we are passing to stay in them - but we also were starting a 3rd string QB for some of the games too. Other than really the Colts and Cardinals we are in the ballpark of passing/rushing - and there you're talking about Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner, and both guys got taken down by some really good CB play by the Saints. The WR play and QB on this team have to get alot better, but I have no problem with what Spags considers a balanced offense.

Also, the year the colts won the superbowl they were more balanced: 551 passes / 446 rushes. I imagine the steelers and giants couldn't be far off of those either.
    Good post. I can only add that The Rams are not good enough NFL-wide at either the run or pass to say what the overall offensive personality is,imo. They only got 1st downs running 19.1% of the time. That's 27th in the league. SJ is great but he simply can't do it alone. So, in that sense, I agree with TX. The era of the one-back rush attack is done & I hope The Rams re-tool accordingly.

The thing that peeves me is that they didn't even really give any of the other RBs enough chances to contribute last year. I wouldn't miss any of them but play somebody, fer cryin' out loud.

And when you only get 57.5% of those 543 passes completed & only 29% for first down(25th in NFL)....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I dont know if a judgement can be made on this at the moment.

Spags came into a team with Steven Jackson at RB and very little in the way of receiving talent. If you look at the offensive players we have, your first instance is to the run the ball with them, not try and pass a lot. I believe over time we will see the offense become more balanced, but currently, with the people we have, a run heavy offense is the way forward.

I could understand if Spags had gone to a team like the Colts and insisted that they go to a run heavy offense, but playing to your strengths isnt old school at all. Its just smart.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    The thing that peeves me is that they didn't even really give any of the other RBs enough chances to contribute last year. I wouldn't miss any of them but play somebody, fer cryin' out loud.
    Well i saw them putting in Samkon Gado on some third and shorts instead of Steven Jackson and Gado got nowhere. In fact i dont remember him doing anything in his time on the field during the regular season. Darby and Ogbonnaya only looked good when they were splitting carries with Jackson out, they didnt do anything when backing up Jackson.

So if your backup RBs arent contributing well, why play them when you have Steven Jackson?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast