Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: A couple of questions...

Oy vey. That's all I have to say.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Maybe he should have thrown the ball a little sooner knowing he was backed up in the endzone and pressure was coming. Pressure was coming all day.
    EXACTLY! That was Bulgers biggest mistake. But we cant blame the loss on Bulger. The special teams looked Bobby Aprilish, the O Line gave Bulger no time. The defense was terrible. Our run game was non existant. Martz made questionable calls. :ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Mok, you pose an interesting question. Here's my attempt at answering it.
    Wannstedt has spent four full seasons as the Miami HC (41-23, 1-2 in post.). Martz has spent four full seasons as Rams HC (43-21, 2-3 in post.). Wannstedt has had 3 top 4 defenses in his tenure, with mediocre offenses. Martz has had 3 top 4 offenses with mediocre defenses. What would I do? I wouldn't fire either of them after 4 seasons where they have had success. In this era of parity, NFL teams have more player turnover than the NCAA. Yet, both of these guys have managed to string together succesful programs.

So here's option B. Since it appears that the fins patience will run out before the Rams, wait for Miami to fire DW and then bring him on here as the defensive coordinator. A combination of Martz & Wannestedt, now that would be something to see.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    You're right that there are no guarentees BUT, there are probabilities.
    Agreed, there are possibilities. But I'm not sure firing him is the answer, nor do I think firing Wannstedt is a great answer for Miami, although it looks to be a probable one. Firing the coach from a relatively consistently successful franchise is basically like taking the jig-saw puzzle and dropping it on the floor in frustration when all you really need is to find the few pieces that will fit together to make the final picture, or at least that's my take on it.

I think one of my main concerns with Martz isn't that he makes a better OC than a head coach, but rather that he as the head coach still retains a lot of responsibilities that should probably be handled by the OC. Have we ever got a straight answer as to how many plays Fairchild calls, if any? How much of a role he plays on the offense? What he even does on gameday?

Personally, I think Martz is a very good head coach. But I don't think he's going to take the final step and become an excellent head coach until he weans himself away from the OC role, either by entrusting Fairchild with the majority of responsibilities or by finding someone he can trust. Martz has had a lot of success as the head coach of this football team, but I'm unsure how successful he'll really be in terms of winning the big game when he's acting as more of a coordinator at times than an actual head coach. That said, I don't think firing him is the answer to the problem, but I think someone needs to step in and make it clear to Martz that he is the head coach of the Rams, and not both the head coach and offensive coordinator, because I get the impression that Martz fancies himself as both, and I don't think he's going to develop into an excellent head coach by doing that.

That's just my take.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12