Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By SavageRam

Thread: Cowboys blowout Rams 31-7; The Good, the bad and the (mostly) Ugly

general counsel is offline Registered User

Cowboys blowout Rams 31-7; The Good, the bad and the (mostly) Ugly

To state the obvious, the Rams were not competitive today, getting crushed on both sides of the line of scrimmage leading to a 31-7 shellacking at the hands of the Cowboys in Dallas. Only three days to get it together before a huge home test against the Whiners, we will see whether Coach Fisher can clean up the issues in past protection and on the defensive line because if we dont play night and day better from what we did today, it's going to be ugly in the extreme again.

The Good

Tavon Austin had a few catches, a dynamic 84 yard punt return td (called back of course) and another long punt return. He also had a drop, but Good is pretty scarce today.
    Pettis was pretty solid again. Nice td catch in traffic from Sammy.
    I like McDonald. He got beat on the td pass and didnt get his head around, but he hits hard and tackles pretty well. I actually think McDonald and McLeod have played as well or better than could be expected from two very young and inexperienced guys so far.
    Sammy showed tremendous courage today and made some really nice throws. Of course, he can only throw it, he cant catch it. While the outcome of the game was mostly in doubt, he had almost no chance to get the ball down the field.
    Nice fumble recovery on the first punt (which of course we did nothing with)
    Cunningham appears to be ahead of Pead on the depth chart, but i thought Pead showed at least some burst from time to time. I am not giving up on him.
    I continue to like how Janoris battles, he made a number of tackles and fights hard, but i want want to know if he is being coached to stand 8 yards plus off the receiver on 3rd and 6.

The Bad

Where was the hurry up offense when we got behind? It worked well against Atlanta, and i dont understand why we didnt use it, especially to try and tire out the dallas defense and slow down the pass rush.

We got hurt very badly on the first TD by a terrible non call on the Dez Bryant push off. A harbinger of things to come on a very bad day for the squad.

I dont mind the fake field goal try (i actually called that one), i think Heckers pass was high, bailey wasnt wide open, but he had no chance to catch that ball.

We had ZERO third down conversions until complete garbage time.

Let's hope that Jake Long was only out at the end to get Starks some reps. We are certainly going to need him thursday night.

Barksdale had a tough day (so did the rest of the line).
    Lousy tackling on many of Murray's long runs.
    Chris Long was completely invisible today.
    'Spoon got torched on the last TD and was late getting on the field in the confusion when Tree went to the sideline (lets hope he is not hurt).
    Hayes was hurt, went off twice. Condition unknown. Langford left with what appeared to be a leg cramp, lets hope that is all it was. Richardson barely played.

The UGLY

I dont know how much uglier it can get than the Rams first half of play on offense. 22 plays, 18 total yards, one first down, 4 sacks, and countless hits on Sammy. Stupid penalties again.

The defensive line was just awful all game. I am more disappointed in the Rams lack of pass rush out of our front four than any other element of our season to date. This is supposed to be a strength for us and Romo had enough time to order in Pizza, while Murray had holes to run through that were simply ginormous. Murray alone ran for 175 yards on 26 carries and plenty of those yards were in big chunks.

Scheme wise, i dont understand why we didnt adjust sooner and put another guy in the box to stop the run when it was very clear we could not match up against the dallas offensive line.

We get the ball after the turnover and go backwards five yards!

The offensive line gave up 6 sacks and 16 qb hits, almost getting Sammy killed multiple times.

We had more drops from the receivers again, and a terrible fumble from Givens killing any chance of getting back in the game.

The penalties in the return game, leading to horrible field position, are simply out of control.

Summary

It's really gut check time for the Rams, who simply failed to show up at all today on either side of the line of scrimmage, which is a good way to guarantee that you arent going to win an NFL game and a recipe for getting Sammy killed, which would effectively end the season. Digging these deep early holes has got to stop. We made a nice comeback at home against an average at best Cardinals team, but on the road against good teams, we just are not going to win much if anything when we sh---t the bed in the first half. We better find a way for our supposed excellent defensive line to step up their play and we better find a way to dramatically improve our pass blocking, or we are going to see more of the same against the whiners. We sure better hope that Long is not injured.

Against all logic, i actually expect a strong showing at home thursday night. We close the book on this one and move on. If we can beat the whiners, we are 2-2 through a very tough schedule and our season is very much alive for a chance at real success and not just mediocrity. If we dont improve from how we play today, we will obviously be a bottom feeder in the league.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    MFranke likes this.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Cowboys blowout Rams 31-7; The Good, the bad and the (mostly) Ugly

I said it in the chatroom that it's time our so-called leaders on defense (JL, Long, Finny) show up and make some plays. They were all invisible today.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

A complete embarrassment and as bad a game as we've had during the brief Fisher era. The offensive line- who were given props and notice for no allowing sacks the first two weeks looked horrendous. Our running game is non-existent. I have no confidence any of these guys will be able to compensate for the loss of SJax or take pressure off Bradford. The defense- considered a strength coming into the season is currently a joke both on the line and in the secondary. Long has been invisible. Finnegan has been bad. Certainly not how we want to go into the SF game.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

The team as a whole seemed not to be at all ready mentally today, and they ran into a buzz saw. The Cowboys seemed to be flying all over the field, while the Rams looked like they were on a field made of sand.

At the NFL level, game planning and being mentality prepared to play at a high level is critical for success. It's why you can be the most physically talented player on the field but still can get your head handed to you by an inferior opponent. I just hope this young team learned a painful lesson today. Because it's clear this is not a very good football team right now.

The good thing is, it's still a long season, and I believe Fisher has the ability to still get this talented young team on track before it's too late.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    I just hope this young team learned a painful lesson today. Because it's clear this is not a very good football team right now.

The good thing is, it's still a long season, and I believe Fisher has the ability to still get this talented young team on track before it's too late.
    Totally agree Savage.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nice recap GC. I was on a plane traveling home from the East Coast so I didn't see the game but kept up with it on the TV on JetBlue. As I said on another thread, Jeff Fisher and his staff didn't get stupid overnight, so I expect there will be some extensive practices during this short week preparing for a team that is equally ashamed from their performance today and last week. I hope we'll all be pleasantly surprised Thursday.

Go Rams!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

How many time do the Rams have to look at tape and realize that the soft zone ain't working... Playing WR's 10 yards off the LOS is just asking for a quick and easy 5-7 yard gain. ...and guess what, two of those and you have a first down! I knew there would be mistakes by the rookies, but Jenkins and Fennigan are being embarrassed out there. Our LB's (including JL) look slow and lost. So how do you fix that? How about a little pressure on the QB with some blitzes, a little man coverage.

The Cowboys beat the Rams today because they jammed our receivers at the line and disrupted our passing routes. The Rams did not. They tackled well. The Rams did not. They put pressure on the QB. The Rams did not. They had a sound game plan. The Rams did not. They played fast. The Rams did not.

This team will get their butts handed to them if they don't fix this now. Even with the Whiners losing today, and losing Smith for Thursday night, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Whiners win the game by 30, in a shutout.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

punahou is offline Registered User

The rams 2dry looks small. Dallas' receivers looked alot bigger than anyone in our def. Backfield. Perhaps there why they play off the ball?

even McDonald looks looks. Skinny- kinda basketball player. Build.

how fast is rrsy ray? I'd like to see him at safety rather than lb.

Dammit posting on mobile phone is just not good.....

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am not suggesting that the secondary is perfect, but i dont think that is where we are really having problems (with the exception of struggles from Finnegan). With the exception of the second half of the arizona game, and some action from Quinn, we have had no functional pass rush of any kind all year, and i dont care who your corners are, that is going to be a big problem. We arent getting pressure with our front four, and we arent getting pressure of any substance when we blitz. This is at the core of our problems on defense and this is (as i said earlier) the most disappointing thing in the team to this point because our front four is supposed to be a strength for us. Many times our corners are pretty tight on guys and getting beat with excellent throws when the qb has all day to throw and plenty of time to step up in the pocket. Our linebackers havent been very good in coverage either. We all knew the offensive line had little depth and was suspect coming into the season, but i dont think any of us thought that we wouldnt be able to get any penetration with our front four, because if people knew that would be the case, we would have known that we were going to have problems. I dont believe that there is a single team in the nfl that can cover effectively without pressure on the qb over the course of a game. The receivers are simply too fast and have the advantage of knowing where they are going. Its all about disrupting the qb, and that doesnt always have to mean sacks, but it does mean pressure and bothering the receivers timing with the qb. If we can't move the ball at all, we are right back to where we were in the past, with the defense on the field all game and that surely isnt going to help us.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I am not suggesting that the secondary is perfect, but i dont think that is where we are really having problems (with the exception of struggles from Finnegan). With the exception of the second half of the arizona game, and some action from Quinn, we have had no functional pass rush of any kind all year, and i dont care who your corners are, that is going to be a big problem. We arent getting pressure with our front four, and we arent getting pressure of any substance when we blitz. This is at the core of our problems on defense and this is (as i said earlier) the most disappointing thing in the team to this point because our front four is supposed to be a strength for us. Many times our corners are pretty tight on guys and getting beat with excellent throws when the qb has all day to throw and plenty of time to step up in the pocket. Our linebackers havent been very good in coverage either. We all knew the offensive line had little depth and was suspect coming into the season, but i dont think any of us thought that we wouldnt be able to get any penetration with our front four, because if people knew that would be the case, we would have known that we were going to have problems. I dont believe that there is a single team in the nfl that can cover effectively without pressure on the qb over the course of a game. The receivers are simply too fast and have the advantage of knowing where they are going. Its all about disrupting the qb, and that doesnt always have to mean sacks, but it does mean pressure and bothering the receivers timing with the qb. If we can't move the ball at all, we are right back to where we were in the past, with the defense on the field all game and that surely isnt going to help us.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Now I havent played the game in years, but in reference to our Dline- specificallty Long and Quinn-- today I noticed that they are always in a 4 point, almost track-meet type stance- as opposed to lets say DWare and his counterpart who are either in a 3 point rush stance or 2 point rush stance.
    Now Im not sure if it really makes a difference, but I haven't seen DEs in a 4 point stance since my high school days-- is this something the Dcoordinator implemented for this years D?

And today at the game, though Witten didn't have a monster day, Laurenitis and Ogletree were indeed many yards in back of him when he caught his passes.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Just finished watching the game highlights -- correction, the cowgirls highlights -- and, goodness gracious, where we in disarray! Made it much too easy for them to score for crying out loud! If frustrates me when we make the opponents look so good. No wonder GC said it was mostly ugly.

It is not like our Rams are in an entropic state of affairs B U T ... we have to get our act together!