Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Craig Dahl...

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Craig Dahl...

Laurenitis occasionally over runs plays too, but he makes up for the few mistakes he makes. Dahl... ummmm not so much

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Yeah, one out of three.

But the question was LBs not one of the three LBs. So, that wasn't the answer.
    That blitzing LB is what started the whole play spiraling down. Not blaming that LB, just explaining that's where the play starts.

The LB (you say it was McIntosh), is called to an inside blitz on the weakside. The DT (you say it was Langford) drops into coverage to replace the blitzing MLB. Personally, I can't stand this form of the zone blitz, but what do I know. The hole left open by the retreating DT is the exact hole where Peterson ran. So now with 2 unengaged OL in front of him, Peterson was off to the races. Had the Safety or OLB been in the hole, the play might have had a happier ending, but they weren't. Or if those same two defenders got off their blocks quicker, the play could have ended quicker, but they didn't.

So you want to know where the 3 LBs were. The two on the outside were completely out of the play. I thought that was rather obvious. The one on the inside was blitzing.....as I said.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I was trying to put blame where blame was due by asking the question to another poster. The other poster (and no one else - until you) never responded. My intent was that guys would go back and look at the play. But my intent went sour. I guess guys were just too pissed and eager to blame dahl.

Seems that your account is similar to mine but I don't think the other two LBs were completely out of the play. Peterson basically ran into his blocker that was engaged with JL while Dunbar was being held a few feet away. I guess you have a typo because JL the MLB did not blitz. Someone screwed up and I doubt it was dahl since he was playing centerfield on the play. It looks to me like JL was supposed to plug the vacated hole. I imagine we will never know for certain.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Hey! Leave Jason Sehorn's brother alone! And Nick Sorensen's cousin!

Seriously, CD may not be a "ProBowler" DB but as others have mentioned, Coach Fisher knows defense (including his own experience in the secondary) and Dahl is there to make the most of it. We need a replacement? Sure, bring in a better player.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

we could always try and bring back James Butler?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Seems that your account is similar to mine but I don't think the other two LBs were completely out of the play. Peterson basically ran into his blocker that was engaged with JL while Dunbar was being held a few feet away. I guess you have a typo because JL the MLB did not blitz.
    Not a typo. MLB was exactly what I intended to type. However, that might be misidentification on my part. When I first looked at the play, I assumed the two blitzers to be the MIKE and WILL on the weak side (offense's left, in this case) and the SAM and SS were the two blocked out of the play. However, it very well might have been the MIKE and SAM that were blocked out, while the WILL and Safety were blitzing.

But as you astutely pointed out, Dahl playing centerfield did not work out well on that play. The LBs and Safety were either blitzed or blocked out of the play, and Dahl did little to slow down AP on that run.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345