jlszes is offline Registered User

Credit to the Coaching Staff

Okay, so there are people all over this country talking about how good Sam is going to be....his poise, his drive, his leadership, etc....

As a diehard OU fan, I am one of many, as are most people in Missouri who has seen this over the last 5 years....

But beyond all of that and regardless of what any one person thinks of this coaching staff....

I think they deserve some of the credit in his EARLY development at this level....

Opinions?

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Re: Credit to the Coaching Staff

Quote Originally Posted by jlszes View Post
    Okay, so there are people all over this country talking about how good Sam is going to be....his poise, his drive, his leadership, etc....

As a diehard OU fan, I am one of many, as are most people in Missouri who has seen this over the last 5 years....

But beyond all of that and regardless of what any one person thinks of this coaching staff....

I think they deserve some of the credit in his EARLY development at this level....

Opinions?
    An excellent thought. I was concerned about having Curl and Shurmur mentoring Sam as well as a defensive HC.Curl has been an interesting guy to watch on the sideline. The camera often catches him as it follows Sam. He's very calm; sometimes not even talking to the kid after a bad play at all, just giving him space. Very smart,imo. Too many guys yammering at him at any given time & the weight of all that scrutiny.The other thing I heard the commentators say at one point was how Curl had helped Sam get his snap handling straightened out. That was a biggie,imo.

Shurmur also seems to have communicated his scheme very well & adapted to Sam's strengths-the rollouts,etc- and as the games go on , the repertoire gets bigger & more the diverse thing we expected from this Philly grad.

I've been critical of Shurmur like lots of us & still not sure how much credit to give him overall. Sam would probably make most coaches look good, a healthy O-line, a resilient defense, and that all the opponents so far have been only middling themselves hasn't hurt.I'm all for savoring this hope-filled moment after so much frustration but I'd like to see a well-coached win or two on the road before I murmur too many sweet nothings about Shurmur.

As for Spags, I think he made a great choice. It seemed like either a really gutsy call for a D guru to take a QB over Suh or , one had to wonder, forced on him by circumstances & the money people.Now I think it had to be much easier than that. Sam and Spags are clearly cut from the same cloth.Highly confident but not brash or selfish, smart in the "walk softly & carry a big stick" sense, and classy in general.Not a bad personality profile to have permeating the organization from your head coach and quarterback.

They've both taken bumps and bruises on the way & doubtless will suffer setbacks & make mistakes but it'd be hard for me not to love playing for them & it seems the team feels the same.

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Re: Credit to the Coaching Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    An excellent thought. I was concerned about having Curl and Shurmur mentoring Sam as well as a defensive HC.Curl has been an interesting guy to watch on the sideline. The camera often catches him as it follows Sam. He's very calm; sometimes not even talking to the kid after a bad play at all, just giving him space. Very smart,imo. Too many guys yammering at him at any given time & the weight of all that scrutiny.The other thing I heard the commentators say at one point was how Curl had helped Sam get his snap handling straightened out. That was a biggie,imo.

Shurmur also seems to have communicated his scheme very well & adapted to Sam's strengths-the rollouts,etc- and as the games go on , the repertoire gets bigger & more the diverse thing we expected from this Philly grad.

I've been critical of Shurmur like lots of us & still not sure how much credit to give him overall. Sam would probably make most coaches look good
    I agree 100 % that the coaches are doing a great job handeling SB there at St Louis, as a OU fan Ive seen how Minnesota has handled AD I think their coaches are inept. He is out of this world with talent yet they continue to try to make him fit their wants instead of reconizing the great talent they were handed when they were lucky enough to get him in the draft. AD excels in spite of Childress and Beinemys efforts.... It seems nobody is trying to change Sam but they are trying to let the game come to him....They have helped by bringing in Clayton now if one of those big TEs step up he will start to really light it up....he loved feeding TEs