Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The Critical 3rd Down

3rd and 7 for the Faiders on their own 37 with 2:50 on the clock. After all the horrible play, stupid penalties and a seemingly impossible game to win, how heartbreaking was it to fail to make a stop on that play? A chance at redemption squandered. This was a very painful, cruel loss.

Shale is offline Registered User

Re: The Critical 3rd Down

Agree, it cut me ... cut me deep!

/sigh
    </shale>

RealRam is offline Registered User

Aaaaaaargh! We were close!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, but I'm hesitant to point the finger at the defense.

While there are some defensive stats after two games that don't look very good, you have to notice this one:

16.5 ppg allowed.

I don't think its a coincidence that this defense seemingly "fell apart" around the same time (mid 3rd quarter) in each of the past two weeks. Clearly, the offense's inability to sustain drives and get a comfortable lead put a great deal of pressure on the defense.

I'm rapidly gravitating towards the "its the playcalling" camp.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Par for the course. I've seen a lot worse personal fouls than the one called on Robbins, but you simply can't put yourself in a position for the refs to get you. The veteran Robbins should know better. And as easy as it would be to blame the defense for not making a stop, I simply can't pin the loss on the defense- seemed like they were out there forever.

A dreadful game- no offense whatsoever in the 2nd half. No successful adjustments. Playcalling predictable and reminded me of last season. Too many penalties. I'm disappointed in Spags- although at least we're in these games, I haven't yet seen anything that leads me to believe he's a brilliant coach. I understand he can't play the game for them, but the penalties, playcalling and lack of adjustments are on him.

Rams simply not ready to win yet.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Agreed, but I'm hesitant to point the finger at the defense.

While there are some defensive stats after two games that don't look very good, you have to notice this one:

16.5 ppg allowed.

I don't think its a coincidence that this defense seemingly "fell apart" around the same time (mid 3rd quarter) in each of the past two weeks. Clearly, the offense's inability to sustain drives and get a comfortable lead put a great deal of pressure on the defense.

I'm rapidly gravitating towards the "its the playcalling" camp.
    The defense was far less agressive in the second half. In the first, they were bringing severe pressure again like week 1 ...

The offenses inability to sustain drives KILLS our defense. They just don't have the depth to stay fresh ...

However, unlike last year, we don't seem to be giving up the HUGE gashing 40+ yard plays, and we are tightening down in the red zone ...

So far, Rams 27, Opponents 33 .... that's pretty tight ... we could easily be 2-0 ...

I just don't like to "play not to lose" attitude in the 2nd half ...

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Par for the course. I've seen a lot worse personal fouls than the one called on Robbins, but you simply can't put yourself in a position for the refs to get you. The veteran Robbins should know better. And as easy as it would be to blame the defense for not making a stop, I simply can't pin the loss on the defense- seemed like they were out there forever.

A dreadful game- no offense whatsoever in the 2nd half. No successful adjustments. Playcalling predictable and reminded me of last season. Too many penalties. I'm disappointed in Spags- although at least we're in these games, I haven't yet seen anything that leads me to believe he's a brilliant coach. I understand he can't play the game for them, but the penalties, playcalling and lack of adjustments are on him.

Rams simply not ready to win yet.
    PERFECT post. I share the exact sentiments ...

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

the penalties in this game were horrible, we can't beat ourselves like that. as for the defense as a whole, well, in the second half of both games it completely fell apart after looking very good in the first half. there's a reason for that, the o has to do a better job and more particularly the o playcalling has to improve.

It's interesting that in the chat room after the TD to make the score 16-14, PeoriaRam made the case that the defense was gased and that the Rams should have gone for the on-sides kick. Maybe he had a point.

And for the record, I don't blame the defense for the loss. It was just frustrating to come to a point where the possibility of a win was within reach, only to have it snatched away. Just a devastating moment.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-19-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It's interesting that in the chat room after the TD to make the score 16-14, PeoriaRam made the case that the defense was gased and that the Rams should have gone for the on-sides kick. Maybe he had a point.
    No way with 3 minutes left. Defense held up on 1st and 2nd down just fine. Who knows what happens on 3rd and long backed up if not for the penalty. That killed momentum ...

I have to say I REALLY like Jerome Murphy. He's a fireball ...

I think he will be a nice nickel/fdime guy for us ....

Defense gave up a ton of yards, but it took Oakland 79 plays to get them. Their QB play was very mediocre, low comp% and rating ....

McFadden got loose a few times, but our defense just isn't deep enough to play 4 QTRS when out O can only manage 47 plays ....

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Defense gave up a ton of yards, but it took Oakland 79 plays to get them. Their QB play was very mediocre, low comp% and rating ....

McFadden got loose a few times, but our defense just isn't deep enough to play 4 QTRS when out O can only manage 47 plays ....
    agreed, people blaming this one on the d don't get it. you can't be on the field that long and continue to stop nfl talent, mediocre as it may be, they need some help from the o.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    No way with 3 minutes left. Defense held up on 1st and 2nd down just fine. Who knows what happens on 3rd and long backed up if not for the penalty. That killed momentum ...

I have to say I REALLY like Jerome Murphy. He's a fireball ...

I think he will be a nice nickel/fdime guy for us ....
    I don't think I voiced it well, but I was also concerned about having enough time to get a game winning field goal drive going. The Rams offense has trouble gobbling up yards in a hurry without assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I don't think I voiced it well, but I was also concerned about having enough time to get a game winning field goal drive going. The Rams offense has trouble gobbling up yards in a hurry without assistance.
    My appologies if I got your intent wrong, I've kind of been in a daze the last few hours.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    My appologies if I got your intent wrong, I've kind of been in a daze the last few hours.
    The defense's inability to get stops recently (due to fatigue or whatever) was also in mind. I just wanted to point out the other aspect of my thought process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast