RamWraith is offline Registered User

Culberson in line to start first game

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/28/2007

Quinton Culberson's fairy-tale season looks as if it’s headed for a happy — and unexpected — ending.

If Brandon Chillar’s strained calf muscle doesn’t respond by Sunday, Culberson will be the Rams’ starting strongside linebacker in the season finale at Arizona. Filling a first-team spot on defense would put a fitting cap on Culberson’s beat-the-odds rookie year.

To reach this point, Culberson first had to receive a free-agent offer from the Rams after being passed over in the draft. Next, he had to perform well enough during training camp to earn a close look in the preseason.

Finally, he had to play well enough in exhibition games to make the 53-man roster. The
    6-foot-1, 236-pounder from Mississippi State was the only one of the Rams’ 13 undrafted rookies to do so.

Special teams was Culberson’s primary destination, and he has been one of the club’s most effective performers there. He has collected 16 special-teams tackles; only veterans Todd Johnson (22) and Travis Minor (17) have more.

When Chillar was hurt and left for two series Dec. 20 against Pittsburgh, Culberson saw his first action on defense. He was in for 11 snaps, getting two tackles but also missing one as running back Najeh Davenport scampered 12 yards to the end zone with a pass in the Steelers’ 41-24 victory.

“I graded out real well ... just got to make that tackle on the touchdown,” Culberson said. “I feel real good going into this game. I’m a little nervous, but I’m ready to go out and play hard.”

Chillar didn’t practice Wednesday or Thursday. His injury is “pretty painful and not coming around very quick,” coach Scott Linehan said. Although he’d rather have as many healthy starters as possible available, Linehan wouldn’t mind getting a look at Culberson in extended game action.

“It would be exciting to see, if it does happen, how he plays,” Linehan said. “He played very well for us in preseason.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Culberson in line to start first game

Oh great here we go the biggest game of the season and we're going to have some inexperienced guy starting at linebacker!!!

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Im happy for Quinton. I can'twait to see if he is the future or if he is just a good special teams player.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

i have a better idea. lets plug in two elephants at DT and a Gorrila at LB. if we can't stop the run then we are in trouble.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If Culberson plays well i wouldn't be surprised with the FO we have we wouldn't resign chillar. Which would be a mistake