Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User

A curioius stat for the football IQ'ers

Trust me I love Bradford. This is not a criticism because quite frankly I don't know how to explain it but as I was cruising some of his stats this one popped out.

When Bradford goes past 31 throws he has 0 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, his average yards per pass drops 1 and his qb rating goes from in the 90's down to the 40's.

My guess is it's more about the situations he is in and not his performance but I don't know.

What are your thoughts ole smart ones of the pigskin?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: A curioius stat for the football IQ'ers

My gut reaction is that the team is either in kill clock hyper conservative mode or in "whoops, we seem to have blown the lead and now need to frantically make plays" mode around the time Bradford hits pass #32, and Bradford's stats drop accordingly. I need more context though to see what you are getting at-are those his stats for games when he crosses 31 attempts or just an analysis of what happens after pass #32.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I need more context though to see what you are getting at-are those his stats for games when he crosses 31 attempts or just an analysis of what happens after pass #32.
    Not whole games just what happens after pass #30.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Trust me I love Bradford. This is not a criticism because quite frankly I don't know how to explain it but as I was cruising some of his stats this one popped out.

When Bradford goes past 31 throws he has 0 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, his average yards per pass drops 1 and his qb rating goes from in the 90's down to the 40's.

My guess is it's more about the situations he is in and not his performance but I don't know.

What are your thoughts ole smart ones of the pigskin?
    I am pretty sure that 2 of those interceptions were in game one alone.

And I am looking for the other 3. I found two interceptions late in the game of game one. In which he threw 55 times. So there is almost half your stat right there. Let me find the other 3 because obviously someone needs to take a magnifing glass to every thing he is doing "wrong".

He has thrown less int's all year then peyton has in three games so hows that for a stat line

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Let me find the other 3 because obviously someone needs to take a magnifing glass to every thing he is doing "wrong".

As my original post says I'm a huge Bradford fan... I wasn't even sure it was something he was doing wrong.

The drop in numbers just kind of jumped off the page when I was looking at his situational stats.

I'm just curious not critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    As my original post says I'm a huge Bradford fan... I wasn't even sure it was something he was doing wrong.

The drop in numbers just kind of jumped off the page when I was looking at his situational stats.

I'm just curious not critical.
    I am maybe to huge of fan I take offense when I THINK people are being critical. Bascially I wouldn't pay to much attention to those stats because they are just stats. Only stat we all need to be worrying about is the 6-6
    and thats a great thing.

Wow I just watched the interception bradford threw against detroit and it was CLEARLY a late hit on the qb bradford backed up about a yard. Sad part is you can see the ref in the background LOOKING AT IT HAPPEN. Bad thing is they took it for a touchdown...

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I would blame it on a small sample size, after all he has only played 12 games.

Statistically trends, good or bad, can be found everywhere, and heck 90% of stats are made up anyway.

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Wow I just watched the interception bradford threw against detroit and it was CLEARLY a late hit on the qb bradford backed up about a yard. Sad part is you can see the ref in the background LOOKING AT IT HAPPEN. Bad thing is they took it for a touchdown...
    all i know is that detroit has been put out to dry by the refs. so by them favoring the lions on a clear call shows how we are really disliked by nfl or whomever manipulates stuff like this. i hate to cry conspiracy and all that, but some things just don't seem right. patriots, cough, cough... (they always get all the breaks)

also on the issue of these long balls i seldom see bradford airing out anything over 8 yards. just my observation.

oh and another thing with as much as we post if you have to start a post with "im really a huge bradford fan" i would reconsider the post.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    all i know is that detroit has been put out to dry by the refs. so by them favoring the lions on a clear call shows how we are really disliked by nfl or whomever manipulates stuff like this. i hate to cry conspiracy and all that, but some things just don't seem right. patriots, cough, cough... (they always get all the breaks)

also on the issue of these long balls i seldom see bradford airing out anything over 8 yards. just my observation.

oh and another thing with as much as we post if you have to start a post with "im really a huge bradford fan" i would reconsider the post.

Ya if you wanna watch it its on nfl website just goto the stl @ det and goto the highlights its towards the end of the game it will have a highlight. Its sickening, bradford threw it took about two or three steps back and then gets leveled for no reason.

Ha that what i meant to say but thats not what i typed lol.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Ive been trying to say for a couple of weeks now that we need to limit Bradford to about 30-32 throws a game which should give us a balanced attack with just about 30 runs. This just proves my point.

In the game against the Cardinals I think we had a perfect split between runs and passes, and thats the way I would love to keep it. (Maybe even a few more runs). Teams just cant be a one pony show, we need balance and teams need to be scared of the run in order for Bradford to be effective and have some time to allow for the deep routes to develop.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Those numbers are skewed by the first game vs. Arizona and the one really bad game vs. Detroit.

I don't think is a statistically relevant sample.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Those numbers are skewed by the first game vs. Arizona and the one really bad game vs. Detroit.

I don't think is a statistically relevant sample.
    12 games and almost every single one has gone over 30 attempts? I think thats a pretty good sample. Maybe not the Int vs TD ratio, but completions and yardage sounds like a good enough sample.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    12 games and almost every single one has gone over 30 attempts? I think thats a pretty good sample. Maybe not the Int vs TD ratio, but completions and yardage sounds like a good enough sample.
    According to NFL.com, Bradford has had more than 31 attempts in 8/12 games. Normally I wouldn't say that 66% is almost 100%. If we you really want to see whether there's an obvious trend here, I'd suggest looking at game conditions at the time Bradford hits attempt #31. Are ahead or behind? How much time is left on the clock? The decline in yards/catch might be because we're just trying to get first downs to run out the clock, or it might be because teams know we have to throw and are blanketing the receivers. Obviously, you don't like to see a high number of late game interceptions, but the INT-TD ratio does pretty well explain why the QB Rating would be so low.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Speaking purely qualitatively, I'd say we're talking about a rookie in 4th quarter situations here. I don't think it out of the norm that his numbers would dip in that environment. I would expect those numbers to dramatically rise over the next couple of years. Saying that, even the best (Manning and Favre, for example) have had 4th quarters choke ups lately.

Maybe this is just where his "rookie nerves" are manifesting themselves. Maybe this is some kind of anomaly weighted too heavily by the Lions and the first Cards game. Either way, I'm not too concerned as it will fix itself.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You know what the stat says to me? That he's still a bloody rookie, and when we ask him to do everything, sometimes he just can't do it. Call it the shielding effect or whatever, but the rash of rookies making impacts and playoffs runs have been because they've been shielded and protected behind elite offensive lines, run games, and defenses.

2008: Joe Flacco rides his #2 overall defense(3 in RYPG, 2 in PYPG) and #4 rushing team to the playoffs. Flacco throws for 2971 yards(#20), 14 TD, 12 INT, rating of 80.3.

2008: Matt Ryan rides the #2 rushing offense and #11 scoring defense(#24 total defense) to the playoffs. Ryan throws for 3440 yards(#13), 16 TD, 11 INT, rating of 87.7.

2009: Sanchez rides the #1 total and pass defense(by a huge margin, 153.7 to 184.2 PYPG between 1 and 2) and #1 rush offense(172 RYPG) to the playoffs. Sanchez throws for a pitiful 2440 yards(#23), 12 TD, 20 INT, and a rating of 63 in 15 starts.

2010: Sam Bradford continues to win with the #14 total defense(#14 RYPG, #19 PYPG) and #10 scoring defense to back him up, but has only 20th ranked running game to help on offense. Through 12 games, Sam has thrown for 2653 yards(#13), 17 TD, 10 INT, and a rating of 81. Projected for all 16 games, his stats would be 3537 yards, 23 TD, 13 INT. That's the most yards of anyone on this list, the most TD's by 7, the 3rd most INT's, but #1 and 2 threw 11 and 12, and the 2nd highest passer rating, assuming it stays at 81.

What it all says to me is that Bradford is doing more with less than any of these predecessors, who had a much better supporting cast(Mark Clayton, Derrick Mason, Ray Rice, Roddy White, Michael Turner, Jerricho Cotchery, Laveranues Coles, Thomas Jones to Jax and Amendola?), arguably better offensive lines(ours is actually a strength now! Saffold only has 2 sacks), much stronger running games, and better or equal defenses to support them. If the media is going gaga over Flacco and Ryan being the future elite QB's, what's that say about Sam?

EDIT: To sum it all up, I really didn't feel like I had to defend Sam, he does that himself with his first 30 throws, I just wanted to compare the other star rookies of late who have led their teams to the playoffs. Sam is a rookie, and no matter how poised, patient and good he is will change that. When he gets to those higher passing totals, yeah, it's late in the game, in clutch time, and maybe he breaks down just a little bit. Like Peyton is doing now, maybe he tries to force it a bit harder, or maybe he gets tired. I doubt he ever had to throw it 40 times as a Sooner.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -12-08-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast