Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: The curious case of Sam Bradford

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The curious case of Sam Bradford

Sam Bradford continues to receive criticism, and most... well, some of it is fair.

He does lock on to receivers a bit too much. He does check down way too much. His pocket presence is poor, at times. He sometimes waits to long to launch the deep pass, resulting in underthrows.

But... when you step back and look at the numbers after 5 games, this is what you'll find:

Yards: 13th in the NFL (ahead of Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck)

TDs: 5th (tied) in the NFL (ahead of Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick)

Passer Rating: 14th in the NFL (ahead of Tom Brady, RGIII, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton)

Completion %: 21st in the NFL (tied with Russell Wilson, ahead of Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick and Tom Brady)

I'm only going to draw one conclusion from these numbers: there is still hope for Sam Bradford.

I want to see him throw the ball down the field more. I want the Rams to tear up a portion of their playbook (under the heading: short passes). I want to see more designed rollouts and bootlegs from Bradford (who is better on the run than most realize).

But don't tell me there's no hope.

The numbers and I disagree with that notion.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Re: The curious case of Sam Bradford

Sam will be a better QB when we get the running game fixed. Stacey looks like he can get the job done with a little help from the O line.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

There's no hope.

What you see is what you get. We've all seen enough of Sam Bradford in his fourth year to know this is him. He is sadly still looking like a deer in headlights out there - compared to not only elite QB's like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, but also Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, etc... the new kids on the block. (BTW, stats are great, but all these guys have winning records and make the playoffs every year, so even if Bradford has them on TD's for a brief moment in space this early in the season, they've already proven they can succeed. Sam, unfortunately, is still out there trying to prove himself.)

Bradford is proving to be one-dimensional, which he got away with at Oklahoma. He is going in to run the play that is called. No audibles, no leading the team, no pointing at the defense and making adjustments to the play at the LOS. Just simply going out there to throw the ball to the guy the play was designed to go to. At doing that, he has proven to be somewhere in the middle to bottom half of the league...15th-23rd- where almost all his career statistics land.

Bradford is overwhelmed at the NFL level.

Can he get a little better at what he does? Sure. Do some QB's need a little more time to adjust to the NFL game? sure. Is Bradford ever going to be much different than we've seen already? No. Will we ever get to a Superbowl with Sam Bradford? Not unless we have the 85 Bears defense.
    mh-i and 10m39s80i81t like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Av when the year is over Bradford will post by far his best numbers and it won't be close, it might even look like elite number if Brady or Ryan names was next to those numbers. The problem is for Bradford and most Rams fan will be the win loss record. I really don't think fans care about his numbers, they want to win now and if we don't, he's to blame period. I don't agree with this but that's his reality.

Before the season started I read that Bradford was once considered the best QB in the west and now he's the worst. Well go take a peek at who is the best QB in the West after five games when it comes to strictly QB play. The Bradford debate is getting old because most fans don't want to look at what lies ahead when this team grows up, they just want to win now, unless it's against the Jags then we need to blown them out by a bakers dozen because we are the Rams.

All you have to do is look around the NFL and just about every QB not named Brady,Brees or Manning is going to be three bad games from losing their starting jobs.

My take on Bradford now is extend him for cap relief and keep building the team and IF his play in two years, much like Matt Schaub is holding back a very good team from going deep into the playoffs then make a move until stay the course.

Edit see the post above as I was writing this, it all about winning now for most fans
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-07-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    mde8352gorams and Randart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    There's no hope.

What you see is what you get. We've all seen enough of Sam Bradford in his fourth year to know this is him. He is sadly still looking like a deer in headlights out there - compared to not only elite QB's like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, but also Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, etc... the new kids on the block. (BTW, stats are great, but all these guys have winning records and make the playoffs every year, so even if Bradford has them on TD's for a brief moment in space this early in the season, they've already proven they can succeed. Sam, unfortunately, is still out there trying to prove himself.)

Bradford is proving to be one-dimensional, which he got away with at Oklahoma. He is going in to run the play that is called. No audibles, no leading the team, no pointing at the defense and making adjustments to the play at the LOS. Just simply going out there to throw the ball to the guy the play was designed to go to. At doing that, he has proven to be somewhere in the middle to bottom half of the league...15th-23rd- where almost all his career statistics land.

Bradford is overwhelmed at the NFL level.

Can he get a little better at what he does? Sure. Do some QB's need a little more time to adjust to the NFL game? sure. Is Bradford ever going to be much different than we've seen already? No. Will we ever get to a Superbowl with Sam Bradford? Not unless we have the 85 Bears defense.
    I don't know, but I think my "backed up by objective numbers and facts" argument is better than your "because I said so" argument.
    HUbison, Jonze and Trevor like this.

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

Please see quote above in sig above avatar.
    (Actually a quote from "Game of Thrones", currently known as the eyeball test).
    You can throw stats at me all day long - I've watched the guy for three years. He is what he is.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Av when the year is over Bradford will post by far his best numbers and it won't be close, it might even look like elite number if Brady or Ryan names was next to those numbers. The problem is for Bradford and most Rams fan will be the win loss record. I really don't think fans care about his numbers, they want to win now and if we don't, he's to blame period. I don't agree with this but that's his reality.

Before the season started I read that Bradford was once considered the best QB in the west and now he's the worst. Well go take a peek at who is the best QB in the West after five games when it comes to strictly QB play. The Bradford debate is getting old because most fans don't want to look at what lies ahead when this team grows up, they just want to win now, unless it's against the Jags then we need to blown them out by a bakers dozen because we are the Rams.

All you have to do is look around the NFL and just about every QB not named Brady,Brees or Manning is going to be three bad games from losing their starting jobs.

My take on Bradford now is extend him for cap relief and keep building the team and IF his play in two years, much like Matt Schaub is holding back a very good team from going deep into the playoffs then make a move until stay the course.

Edit see the post above as I was writing this, it all about winning now for most fans
    Matt Schaub may be holding the Texans back, but I think Bradford is better than he is.

Do you think that Sam can't be as good as, Joe Flacco? (You know, the guy who won the Super Bowl last year).

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

You know who can put up great numbers? Tony Romo. Who is one of the last QBs in the league you want on your team when the game is on the line? Tony Romo.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He does lock on to receivers a bit too much. He does check down way too much. His pocket presence is poor, at times. He sometimes waits to long to launch the deep pass, resulting in underthrows.
    All the numbers are great but the things you mention here are what wins and loses games and in the end that's all that matters.

No one can do it alone and he's not getting a tremendous amount of help right now but the mistakes that can be laid directly at his feet are the ones that fans are worried about.
    MoonJoe, macrammer and PARamfan like this.

You know what I think...

I think that if the Rams were 4-1 but Sam had a passer rating of 70, the same people who are saying "the numbers don't matter because he's not winning" would be saying "he's not winning, the team is - his numbers stink!"
    HUbison and Trevor like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Matt Schaub may be holding the Texans back, but I think Bradford is better than he is.

Do you think that Sam can't be as good as, Joe Flacco? (You know, the guy who won the Super Bowl last year).
    I think he's better then Schaub now but the team he's on (Rams) are not a playoff team like the Texans.

I think he is already as good as Flacco his numbers where pretty much the same last year. Flacco did have a great run in the post season.

When you are drafted number one overall, lets be honest to a franchise that is in turmoil. The expectation are going to be unrealistic. Most fans have made up their minds already about Bradford, They either like him and want to support him and be patient in his maturation. Or they can't stand the guy and are ready to substitute hope for a plan.

You know what I think...

I think that if the Rams were 4-1 but Sam had a passer rating of 70, the same people who are saying "the numbers don't matter because he's not winning" would be saying "he's not winning, the team is - his numbers stink!"
    I agree and the goes into, most fans have already made up their minds on Bradford.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Ramhearder is offline Registered User

The comparative stats stance doesn't work anymore. His numbers are inflated from trash time for one. How many first quarter yards ad TD's does Sam have this season? Oh that's right... when the opposing defenses let up with large leads he can find his numbers. Wow. I think the debate is not what Sam has done, it is what he hasn't done. That would be win, lead, hit the open targets, show the "it" factor. I have seen nothing this season that would suggest to me that Sam is our future... if you have, maybe you should schedule a visit your local optometrist for an eye check up
    Last edited by Ramhearder; -10-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

That's not actually a slam either - he has flashes, and he's been receiver poor, but I still believe this is his make or break year, and would not give him the big contract (at least until the end of the year after proving he warrants it. Right now he doesn't imho).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Who we going to blame this 2-3 w/l record on. Surely not the running backs, they’re great. How about that spectacular O line, no one gets threw them! Our defensive backs are great, they never give up 20 yard TDs to the opponents RBs. Let’s all blame our woes on Sam Bradford. Why? Cause why not that’s why!!!
    And while you’re at it name all the QBs out there we can get for next week’s game against Houston.
    HUbison, live4ramin and Trevor like this.

Ramhearder is offline Registered User

Can anyone argue that Sam is the future of our team? That we should be moving forward with him? I know that most of you don't live in St. Louis and don't attend the games. That mean's you have to watch the field as shown on TV. Being a season ticket holder and being there to see the poor decisions that Sam makes game in and game out with no wavering has proven that he is simply what he is. I love my Rams, but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can still love Bradford as a QB.

supachump is offline Registered User

I've been a supporter of Bradford. Unfortunately, this year, whatever his stats may be, I'm starting to lean the other way. I'm not excited about him, nor am I excited about what he might become. I think we have a mediocre qb and that is all we will ever have with him.

If Bradford at the end of the year hasn't improved, I'd strongly support a change. Unfortunately, I think Jeff -Stubborn as dirt- Fisher is dead set on keeping him no matter what.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast