Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: The curious case of Sam Bradford

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The curious case of Sam Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    I think when peyton is using the quick tempo and keeping the defense on the field he is at his best. I think his film study and years of experience make him one of the leagues best play callers. Probably superior to the guys calling the defense. But plays still take so long to develop and the longer the play takes to develop the longer the line needs to protect. He still needs the guys around him to adjust including the line. Everyone still has to do their job and do it well. Execution by the entire offense is still the key, IMO.
    This is pretty much the way I see it. Manning is the master, and often does make quick decisions, but as you mentioned, he also often needs time to let plays develop, and his OL's in both Indy and Denver have allowed him that luxury. There is no substitute for a good offensive line, and IMO, you're not going to see many elite QB's without one, unless you have a mobile, athletic QB with a superior ability to throw on the run, like Aaron Rodgers. He's the exception.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This is pretty much the way I see it. Manning is the master, and often does make quick decisions, but as you mentioned, he also often needs time to let plays develop, and his OL's in both Indy and Denver have allowed him that luxury. There is no substitute for a good offensive line, and IMO, you're not going to see many elite QB's without one, unless you have a mobile, athletic QB with a superior ability to throw on the run, like Aaron Rodgers. He's the exception.
    Pocket presence is another thing Manning brings to the table. the ability to help buy himself more time by sliding over or taking a step up. IMO, any given QB does not always have enough "time" to throw each play. Those guys on the other side get paid pretty well to apply pressure. How well the QB can handle it by getting creative and having the vision is what can set you apart.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Pocket presence is another thing Manning brings to the table. the ability to help buy himself more time by sliding over or taking a step up. IMO, any given QB does not always have enough "time" to throw each play. Those guys on the other side get paid pretty well to apply pressure. How well the QB can handle it by getting creative and having the vision is what can set you apart.
    Good points. The ability to sense pressure, and slide or step up to avoid it is important. I'm sure many will disagree, but I think Bradford has improved his pocket presence this year. He still needs to clean some things up, but I see improvement as opposed to regression, and I'm looking forward to Sam proving me right against the Houston DL and J.J. Watt, who will no doubt be putting my assertion to the test. If he falters, I'll have no problem calling him on it.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I rarely, if ever, see Sam check off at the line and audible. I am a firm believer that great players make everyone around around them not a little better, but a lot better.
    In Sams case you do not see the finger waggling, the finger pointing, and the repositioning of players like you do with some of the other Qbs being mentioned here.

Sam is what Sam is. I dont expect anymore of him any longer. I do, however, expect SOMEONE
    to rise up and elevate this offense somehow. But I with the current group I cant say that I know who it could be.
    Jim Thomas as Shcotty this past Thursday if Sam has the ability or flexibility to change the plays. Shoctty said he does and does it about four to five times a game. Just because it's not obvious for fans to see, does not mean he's not doing it.
    RealRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Jim Thomas as Shcotty this past Thursday if Sam has the ability or flexibility to change the plays. Shoctty said he does and does it about four to five times a game. Just because it's not obvious for fans to see, does not mean he's not doing it.
    This gets back to the incorrect "perceptions" of Bradford I alluded to earlier. People believe what they want to believe, regardless of what the reality is.
    RealRam and HUbison like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I would be very unhappy to hear any different. You have to trust your QB to make whatever adjustments are required due to how the defense lines up.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Originally posted by Rambos
    Jim Thomas asked Schotty this past Thursday if Sam has the ability or flexibility to change the plays. Schotty said he does and does it about four to five times a game. Just because it's not obvious for fans to see, does not mean he's not doing it.
    Originally posted by R8rh8rmike
    This gets back to the incorrect "perceptions" of Bradford I alluded to earlier. People believe what they want to believe, regardless of what the reality is.
    Agreed 2x. Absolutely.

Reeeeeally have the feeling that Bradford will prove his supporters right and his detractors wrong, sooner than later too.

Last edited by RealRam; -10-13-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Ram

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Agreed 2x. Absolutely.

Reeeeeally have the feeling that Bradford will prove his supporters right and his detractors wrong, sooner than later too.

Have waited so long for him to prove them wrong. His numbers look great, statistically he's having a great year. I begin more and more to wonder if all the check downs and short passes are his doing or Shottys. Shotty says he has the option and ability to change the plays. But I'm starting to waiver watching him more and more. I just don't see him going thru progressions and he seems to lock on to a single target more and more. His OL isn't helping him much either and I really want him to turn that corner and make the right and big plays but my faith in same is starting to waiver. Also why was last week the first time we've seen Sam leading a pregame cheer?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Have waited so long for him to prove them wrong. His numbers look great, statistically he's having a great year. I begin more and more to wonder if all the check downs and short passes are his doing or Shottys. Shotty says he has the option and ability to change the plays. But I'm starting to waiver watching him more and more. I just don't see him going thru progressions and he seems to lock on to a single target more and more. His OL isn't helping him much either and I really want him to turn that corner and make the right and big plays but my faith in same is starting to waiver. Also why was last week the first time we've seen Sam leading a pregame cheer?
    I see the comment about progressions on here a lot, but do you know the progressions? How can you see Sam isn't going through his progressions?

Rambos is offline Registered User

It was not sexy but very efficient, against the best defense in the NFL so I'm told.

CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT RAT
    12 16 117 75.0 7.31 34 3 0 134.6

svh01 is offline Registered User

It was not sexy but very efficient, against the best defense in the NFL so I'm told.

Game manager type #'s, which is what I think Sam is. I'm ok with that. I just wish people stop trying to make him more than he is.
    Last edited by svh01; -10-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Ill take game manager numbers if we win...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think you're going to win a lot of games throwing 16 times for 117 yards, but you will win a lot of games throwing three touchdowns, completing 75% of your passes, and not turning the ball over. I'm excited to sit down and watch this one for a number of reasons, but one of them is because it looks like Sam is building some momentum now. It may not be sexy, but it's helping this team win. I hope he continues on this positive trend!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

My favourite bit about this game for Sam was the fact that it looked easy

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm excited to sit down and watch this one for a number of reasons, but one of them is because it looks like Sam is building some momentum now ... it's helping this team win. I hope he continues on this positive trend!
    Ha! I just thought of this momentum in the 'For gooness sake offense' thread.

This win vs HOU has got to improve team morale and momentum going into Carolina.

Rams offense has GOOD weapons!
    Nick likes this.