Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: The curious case of Sam Bradford

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: The curious case of Sam Bradford

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

HOUSTON -- Sam Bradford couldn't think of the last time he threw only 16 passes in a game, not that he had any problem with his workload in the Rams' 38-13 win Sunday over the Houston Texans.

"That’s got to be the lowest of my career by far, and I’m perfectly fine with that," Bradford said. "There’s no way we only threw it 16 times in college. We were throwing it all over the place. I think that just speaks volume about our run game, the guys up front and our defense. Obviously, I think the score kind of dictated some of the play calling at the end, but I thought we were very efficient in the pass game today and the run game was awesome."

To say Bradford and the Rams were efficient in the pass game against the Texans would qualify as an understatement. Not much was asked of Bradford, but he certainly over-delivered given the opportunities he had. By any measure of the word, Bradford had a successful outing against Houston, going 12-of-16 for 117 yards and three touchdowns for a passer rating of 134.6. And Bradford's QBR of 93.2 was the highest among all starting quarterbacks in Sunday's games.

Making Bradford's performance more impressive was how he handled the variety of blitzes the Texans threw at him. Loosely defined as sending five or more pass rushers, the Texans blitzed eight times. Bradford got off a pass attempt on each of those blitzes and completed the pass every time. The total damage against the blitz: 8-for-8 and all three of his touchdown tosses, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Since the start of 2008, Bradford is one of only six quarterbacks to complete at least eight passes against added pressure without an incompletion. He joined Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Brett Favre as the only ones to do it while throwing multiple touchdowns. Just like the other great game managers.

The numbers weren't eye-popping, but there's little doubt that Bradford had one of his best games of the season and handled pressure better than any point in his career.

emuen is offline Registered User

I still believe the "game manager"-label is justified for what he have shown through his first 3 seasons and 6 games. At least more justified than other labels that have been thrown around in this forum. Like elite and bust.

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    I still believe the "game manager"-label is justified for what he have shown through his first 3 seasons and 6 games. At least more justified than other labels that have been thrown around in this forum. Like elite and bust.
    I think you would be hard pressed to find one post on this board over the four years where a fan is saying Bradford IS elite. I bet you can find a ton where fans say he's a bust.

Football fans are so impatience.

Besides the fact that he couldn't hit anyone in stride, he missed badly on throws for more than 15 yards, lacked pocket awareness, held the ball way too long, locked to his primary receiver (btw this is probably one of the main reasons why the D could clamp down on that receiver because they were reading him), yea he will be ok.
    I still think he can be a great QB, maybe elite (although I wouldn't be surprised if Bridgewater, Mariota and Boyd turned out better then him). I don't think he'll ever be physically what he was, but its on him to be a more cerebral player. There is reason to hope, but not enough to hope blindly IMO.
    I just hope the fans and coaching staff don't have blind love.'''''''' Because he has flaws that must be addressed and has not been playing well.
    Get a clue people so far ''''''''' has played against some of the worse Ds in the league, and has not been able to get this offense going when it mattered.
    Yeah fans can be hard on a QBs, oh by the way these are skin fans talking about RG3. Last year the toast of the town this year not so much. It's just the way it is when you play QB.
    GolfnRAMFAN and DE_Ramfan like this.

Truth is offline Registered User

Bradford is NOT a "bust." Having said that, he hasn't rocked the NFL with his abilities. I would also be significantly less critical of his inconsistency if he had been selected in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. I might even say the same had he been the 3rd of 4th QB taken in the draft. However, I really wanted to see more from the 1st OVERALL selection. Like I said, He is NOT a bust. But I want my #1 overall pick to be more Kurt Warner, and less Trent Dilfer.
    bruce4life and ramsanddodgers like this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Trent Dilfer through his first four years..

Played five games his rookie year. Completed 46.3% 1 TD 6 INT RAT 36. I don't need to put of Sams numbers because they aren't close.

Year two Dilfer played 16 games 2774 YARDS 4 TDs and 18 INT 12 FUM RAT 60.3. Sam played 10 games 10 TDs 10 INTS 2,164 YARDS RAT 70.5

Year three Dilfer played 16 games 2859 YARDS 12 TDs 19 INT RAT 64.8 Sam played 16 games 3,702 YARDS 21 TDs 13 INT RAT 82.6.

Year four Dilfer played 16 Game 2,555 Yards 21 11 INT RAT 82.8 Sam through 6 games 1,432 TD 13 INT 3 RAT 90.7

No one knows if this is as good as Bradford will be, we just don't know. Everyone's got an opinion, but no one knows the future. One thing is clear looking at the early years, Sam has clearly out played Dilfer.

38 TDs to 54 INTs Dilfer was not even a game manager in his early days. Bradford 58 TDs to 37 INTs is clearly better.

Bradford numbers are clearly getting better every year. Bradford numbers are also better then Warner numbers, at 25 Warner could not even make a team in the NFL. Only time will tell of this is as good as Bradford gets, as a Rams fan I hope not!
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-14-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    HUbison and ramsanddodgers like this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

All 3 of Bradford picks were tipped I believe? Atleast 2 I remember by Darryl Richardson and the also one in the Cardinals game

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sb2sb2sb View Post
    All 3 of Bradford picks were tipped I believe? Atleast 2 I remember by Darryl Richardson and the also one in the Cardinals game
    You are correct, however, he is guilty of throwing the ball right into the defenders hands a couple times that were dropped thankfully. Other than that, I just hate how the QB is rated on how the whole team plays.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Since the start of 2008, Bradford is one of only six quarterbacks to complete at least eight passes against added pressure without an incompletion. He joined Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Brett Favre as the only ones to do it while throwing multiple touchdowns. Just like the other great game managers.
    As you alluded to Rambos, the term "game manager" is a misnomer. ALL NFL QB's are at times "game managers" simply because of what a games flow dictates, or what the coaches game plan is against a specific opponent.

Listening to some people throw it around, you'd think it's a term that denotes limited ability. Was Bradford a "game manager" against Arizona, when he passed for 300 yards, 2 TD's, and led 3 4th quarter scoring drives in a double-digit come from behind win? Was Bradford a "game manager" when he passed for 350 yards and 3 second half TD's against Atlanta in a furious comeback that just fell short? Was Bradford a "game manager" when he threw for 3 TD's, including a perfect 31 yard bomb to Pettis in the back of the end zone to seal the deal against Jacksonville? Was Bradford a "game manager" when he connected with Chris Givens on 5 50+ yard passes in 5 consecutive games last year, setting a rookie record for Givens?

"Game manager" Sam Bradford now ranks 4th(tie) in the NFL with 13 TD's, and is 12th in the NFL with a 90.7 rating. If that's what a "game manager" does, I'll take it.
    Rambos likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Bradford is NOT a "bust." Having said that, he hasn't rocked the NFL with his abilities. I would also be significantly less critical of his inconsistency if he had been selected in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. I might even say the same had he been the 3rd of 4th QB taken in the draft. However, I really wanted to see more from the 1st OVERALL selection. Like I said, He is NOT a bust. But I want my #1 overall pick to be more Kurt Warner, and less Trent Dilfer.
    1. Dilfer wasnt selected overall #1
    2. Dilfer won a Superbowl.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post

No, Dilfer wasn't selected #1 overall. Thank you for making my point for me.

Dilfer managed the offense. Baltimore's defense won the Superbowl. Dilfer even has said that on more than one occasssion.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Comparing Bradford to Dilfer is just silly plain and simple. I believe with a running game Bradford can be in the same class as the other young qbs. Imagine if Russel Wilson and Collin Kaepernick did not have a running game. That's where Bradford has been this season.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Comparing Bradford to Dilfer is just silly plain and simple. I believe with a running game Bradford can be in the same class as the other young qbs. Imagine if Russel Wilson and Collin Kaepernick did not have a running game. That's where Bradford has been this season.
    Also Bradford doesnt need much of a running game. 60-70 yds with at least 3.0ypc is enough to make the safeties respect the threat of run which opens things up more. Also the d-line has to pass rush with more discipline, so theres less hurries and knockdowns. And of course 3rd and 6 is easier to convert then 3rd and 10

Theres many positives about Bradford. For example, in 48 career games he has only thrown 2 or more interceptions 5 times. 4 of those 5 instances came in his rookie year. So you cant say hes a turnover machine costing them games.

ESPN is currently projecting Bradford to finish with 35 passing touchdowns and 8 interceptions. Now that the Rams have a running game going, I expect his TD passes to taper off. I think he'll finish with 27 TDs and 10 interceptions, and possibly a pro bowl alternate. In the offseason they need to restructure and extend his contract so they can bring in more talent on both sides of the ball. Rams are still young and too weak at certain positions to make a real playoff push.

EDIT: Uh oh, the world may be ending. Bradford has a better QB rating then golden boy Andrew Luck?
    Last edited by Alpha_Male; -10-15-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    No, Dilfer wasn't selected #1 overall. Thank you for making my point for me.

Dilfer managed the offense. Baltimore's defense won the Superbowl. Dilfer even has said that on more than one occasssion.
    But since Bradford has never had anything like The Ravens defense in support & yet has outperformed Dilfer all along, how is the comparison logical ?
    I've never bought this SB scalp BS as a prerequisite for elite status. Are you going to tell me Dilfer was better than Marino ? Kelly ? Stat-wise, he doesn't even stand up to Everett or Bulger. I don't even accept that Bradford wouldn't have been great in Dilfer's place. I'd even bet money they'd have repeated with Sam.

Didn't Dilfer have Shannon Sharpe, Qadry Ismail, Jamal Lewis at RB & a few other decent weapons? That team was hardly the Bad News Bears on offense. Just because these weapons have been added to The Rams on paper,you can't ignore the reality on the field.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -10-15-2013 at 04:15 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Again, teams win Superbowls; not players.

The Ravens won a Superbowl.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post

ESPN is currently projecting Bradford to finish with 35 passing touchdowns and 8 interceptions. Now that the Rams have a running game going, I expect his TD passes to taper off. I think he'll finish with 27 TDs and 10 interceptions, and possibly a pro bowl alternate.
    What? I'm not following you here.

The running game directly set up two of Bradfords TDs with PA in Texas. Not to mention the run game played a huge role in us consistently getting into the red zone in the first place.

We've had two games where we successfully implemented the run game. Against the Jags and against the Texans. Bradford threw 3 TDs and no picks in both games.

Schotty loves PA around the goal line and if our run game can keep the wheels spinning the PA will be there all day.

Bradford could easily eclipse 30 TDs this year.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -10-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213