Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: The curious case of Sam Bradford

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The curious case of Sam Bradford

Actually, I'm hard pressed to think of a single person on this site who defends Sam blindly, or without criticism.

emuen is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, the best way is to allow random fans to make conclusory statements based upon their observations.

By the way, what would Sam's rating be if Jared Cook scores a TD instead of fumbling at the 1 yard line? (See... it works in both ways).
    So does it make Bradford a worse QB that Cook fumbled the ball, or did you just want to confirm what I said about "Too small of a sample size"?

I can understand you are on the offensive, given that a lot of people here disagree with you, but I think it is true that your presented data sheet is a little biased. If doesn't take into consideration that 8 of 32 teams have played one less game and it doesn't take into consideration that five QBs are so close rating-wise that they could just as well be equal.

When you look at the stats they support that Bradford right now is a top 15-20 QB in this league. I agree with these numbers (in the pre-season I also stated that Bradford was a top 20 QB). You can win with a top 15-20 QB, and I don't think Bradford should be the biggest of our worries. His salary however is a worry, when you have a QB that need talented players around him. How will they get paid next year, when Bradford is cashing in 17.6 million of the cap space?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    My stance:

Yeah, he's not a world beater at the QB position. .
    If you would could you list the world beaters? If I recall over the years that list seems to be the elite veterans like you described but has also included guys like... Newton when he was a rookie, not so much now. RG3 when he was a rookie not so much now. Freeman when he was a rookie not so much now. Wilson and Kap not so much now. Heck even Tebow was hot at one time, not so much now.

You can take all of Bradford's Pop Warner, High school, College and NFL experience add them up and guys like Brady and Manniing have been playing QB in the NFL longer then Bradford has been playing football period.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-07-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    So does it make Bradford a worse QB that Cook fumbled the ball, or did you just want to confirm what I said about "Too small of a sample size"?
    I don't think that 5 games is too small a sample size to make the limited point I made in my first post. Maybe you should go back and read it.

macrammer is offline Registered User

How do you get over 400 visits to a post in less then 4 hours? Start a Bradford thread lol

I find it mildly entertaining that if you criticize Bradford, you are vilified by some and if you offer praise vice versa. (Note I said "some")

Upon returning from the bash, it was refreshing to MEET and engage with PARamfan and moonjoe......long time Ram fans that have a deep and fierce passion for the Rams. And with a great life balance. We all share a tremendous loyalty for our beloved Rams. But, we all see a QB that is a mid tier guy (IMO) that is not meeting our collective expectations of what a guy at his salary and draft level should be. Does that mean we do not support him? Of course not. But, we are Ram fans first. Always will be. And for me, that translates to being critical of whomever whenever when it concerns my team. Agree disagree. Does not really matter to me. It is how I feel.

The Rams have two great opportunities on the next two weeks to rise above and do something for themselves and us long suffering fans. We play Houston and Carolina on the road. Both of those teams lost to NFC West rivals yesterday. (***** and Cards respectively) It will be interesting to see how that transpires.

As a final thought But I would suggest that having another person around soon that could step in if required would not be a bad idea. A la the *****.
    PARamfan likes this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

When I read these threads and think back on what I know from my time watching the Rams I find myself coming to one singular conclusion...It sure would be nice to go to a game and not hear fans yell "You suck" to their own Quarterback...regardless of who he is, at that. We've had this same argument for Warner and Bulger too. I'm starting to think we will always have this argument and only the names will change.

Bradford frustrates me at times, I'm willing to let the season play out and decide after that point. Unfortunately, I also think we need to consider a change at the position if we change offensive coordinators...again.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

BarronWade is offline Registered User

There is 2 things that will determine my opinion of Bradford this season the number of wins and if he puts us in position to win games.

So far we are 2-3 which is not good but at the same time it is not bad...BRADFORD has put us in position to win 3 games so far (he kept us in the ATL game)

Maybe this season its obvious Bradford is not the next Peyton Manning however he can be a Joe Flacco who won a super bowl with a good supporting cast...Lets see how we play in houston

Statistically speaking Bradford is having his best year so lets see what record his best year gets us at the end.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If you would could you list the world beaters?
    Pretty much the big names. Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers. Guys that, regardless of the circumstances, can put their teams in positions to win week in and week out.

My point is that you can count these guys on one hand and still have a finger to clean the cookie dough bowl. Bradford gets criticized for not doing consistently what very few QB's in the league manage to do on a regular basis, and I completely agree with and understand those complaints. We want a great QB who makes confident reads, fools defenses, and delivers beautiful strikes for six. But at the same time, there's a reason that the great ones are vaunted in the manner that they are. They're unique, special talents that don't come along very often.

Teams can win without these types of players. I am a Rams fan before I'm a fan of any player, but I firmly believe we can win games and make noise with Sam Bradford at QB. Is he elite or even great at this point in his career? Nope. But calling for his head at this juncture feels a bit premature.
    RealRam, Rambos and MauiRam like this.

Some of you hold out Sam's draft position as a reason for the heavy criticism.

However, history shows that QBs are difficult to scout.

For example, from 2007-2012, 17 QBs were taken in the first round.

Sam is clearly better than eight of them: Brandon Weedon, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Tim Tebow, Marc Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Brady Quinn and Jamarcus Russell.

I'd argue further that he's at least as good as two others: Jake Locker and Ryan Tannehill.

He's potentially as good as three others: Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford and Cam Newton.

So that accounts for 13 of the 16 other first rounders. Who's left?

Matt Ryan - I think he's a level above Sam, but I'd sure like to see what Sam could do with Roddy White and Julio Jones.

RGIII - he is potentially above Sam, but I think injuries will always plague him as he continues to run the ball.

Andrew Luck - I think he is potentially elite.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-08-2013 at 07:19 PM.

citr92 is offline Registered User

everyone going to ignore that when the game is on the line bradford gets it done provided they can get the ball last

yes they shouldn't have to come back,

but have you seen the rest of the team?

they've got talent yes, but you have to use them right

tavon austin getting 2 yard passes over and over again is NOT how you use austin, that won't help austin, bradford, and most importantly the TEAM

ridiculous to think that bradford is just bradford, there are other factors involved whether you want to acknowledge them or not

remember there are others who have to have to do their job on the practice field too

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here is a question, does the fact that Bradford is not a good fantasy QB matter? Sometimes I wonder if fans factor that in. I don't play fantasy but if I did Bradford would not be my QB.
    HUbison likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    My stance: The vast majority of Rams fans have made up their mind about Bradford in one way or another. One side will pull out all the stops to defend him, the other will use anything they can to criticize him.

Yeah, he's not a world beater at the QB position. And it sucks that some of the guys we're using as a measuring stick (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers) are all probably going to be first-ballot Hall of Fame guys when they hang up the cleats. I think some fans have a hard time accepting that not every QB (1st overall pick or undrafted free agent) is going to be amazing in every game.

Remember: It took both Brady and Brees 7 years of starting in the NFL to throw 30 TDs. Provided he keeps up the pace, Sam will be doing that in his 4th year. Stats don't tell the whole story, but he's done enough to prove he isn't the problem. Our "young and fierce" defense that's allowing 28 points per game, however...
    I guess this is exactly the reason why I was never thrilled with the Sam pick.
    Like many of the current and past Ram draft picks over the last 8ish years, many of the those guys were picked too high.
    Ive never felt he should have gone #1-- when he missed the majority of his last year [and let alone we had to be picking there =(].

What's done is done, but there are numerous other players we could've and should've had.
    [Suh for starters =)]

It's amazing how the same teams can roll the dice on draft day and more often than not come out with nice players, while we miss a lot more than we hit.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    It's amazing how the same teams can roll the dice on draft day and more often than not come out with nice players, while we miss a lot more than we hit.
    I've got news for you: the draft is hit and miss for every team in the league.

RealRam is offline Registered User

On a related note...

Bradford — yes, Bradford — gets Rams fired up
    By Jim Thomas / STL P-D
    Monday, Oct. 07, a.m.

For those who think Sam Bradford isn't passionate enough on the football field, you should have seen him on the field before Sunday’s game with Jacksonville at the Edward Jones Dome.

At the end of pregame warmups, just before the team heads into the locker room for the last time before kickoff, the players gather as a team in one big huddle. Normally, defensive end Chris Long stands in the middle of the group and gives a brief impassioned pep talk to get the team fired up.

The curious case of Sam Bradford-1-bradford-pregame-vs-jags.jpg -- [ Clic on image. Some players are a little surprised. CLong to SB: "Go for it!" ]

This time it was Bradford. He was as animated as he has ever been, shouting words of encouragement with the rest of the team bobbing up and down around him and shouting themselves. So much for Silent Sam.

“I talked to Chris earlier,” Bradford said. “He kind of came up to me and was like, ‘Hey, we need you today.’ I thought it was the right thing. I thought that it was time for me, because I usually don’t say a whole lot. I’m pretty reserved.

“But I think today was a good time for me to get fired up. To let the guys know that it was time to roll. Hopefully, it worked. I think everyone was pretty fired up when I got in there.”

Judging by the result, a 34-20 Rams victory, maybe Bradford should replace Long in the pregame team huddle.

“I don’t know, he’s pretty good at it,” Bradford said. “And I realized afterwards it’s a lot of yelling. I was pretty tired after I got done with it. If that’s what it takes, I have no problem jumping in there doing it. But Chris is the one who usually gets everyone fired up, too.”

======================================================

TWO FOR PETTIS

After touchdown grabs of 4 and 31 yards Sunday, wide receiver Austin Pettis has a team-high four TD receptions this season. Dating back to the end of the 2012 season, Pettis has six touchdown catches in his past seven games.

Pettis’ second touchdown catch Sunday came on a “go” route down the right sideline against tight coverage by Jaguars cornerback Will Blackmon.

“If I didn’t catch that I probably would've been hearing it tomorrow,” Pettis said with a chuckle. “So I’m glad we were able to come down with it.”

NEW-LOOK SECONDARY

With safety T.J. McDonald out for the next two months with a fractured leg and cornerback Cortland Finnegan on the pregame inactive list with a hamstring injury, the Rams had a different look on the back end.

Darian Stewart started in place of McDonald at strong safety. Trumaine Johnson, normally the Rams’ third cornerback, started in place of Finnegan. When the Rams went to their nickel package they brought in another safety — Matt Giordano — off the bench.

That made it an unusual configuration of three safeties and just two cornerbacks in the nickel. When Giordano came in, starting free safety Rodney McLeod slid down to cover the slot receiver — playing in a cornerback-like role.

INJURY UPDATE

The Jaguars lost left tackle Luke Joeckel, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2013 draft, for the season with an ankle injury late in the first quarter. Jacksonville quarterback Blaine Gabbert, the University of Missouri and Parkway West High product, left midway through the third quarter with a hamstring injury and did not return.

The Rams didn’t appear to have any serious injuries. Giordano left briefly in the fourth quarter with leg cramps; running back Zac Stacy didn’t finish the game after taking a shot to the ribs.

SITTING IT OUT

Besides Finnegan, the Rams’ inactives were DE Williams Hayes (knee), RT Rodger Saffold (knee), DT Matt Conrath (concussion), G-C Barrett Jones, G Brandon Washington and OT Mike Person.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-07-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Insert image
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

The Rams won 5 games in the 3 years before Bradford's arrival.

The defense is allowing 27 points a game

Special teams penalties ruin field position for the offense

The Rams have just now found a running back

Eli Manning won 2 Superbowls

Rams can get it done with Bradford