Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: The curious case of Sam Bradford

Varg6 is offline Registered User
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want our coaches to utilize the personnel they have as effectively as possible. If that means that we are more suited for a pass happy offense, for example, than why continue with how Schotty has run this O? Going back to Sam, he's probably the most frustrating player I've ever watched because sometimes he can just rip it and play extremely well, as if I'm watching a top tier QB, but then there's other times where he looks like a lost puppy out there or something, dare I say scared (which I hate to insinuate). Obviously I don't think he's scared but I'm sure taking consistent beatings will subconsciously mess with your internal clock. All of this comes down to execution and play calling. What baffles me is not seeing our newly acquired TE all over the field, seeing Tavon run slants to get into open space. Hell, I think we need to see more Brian Quick out there. I honestly think we have a solid group of WRs and TEs. I mean, over the summer, I was thinking how we suddenly have the best TEs in the game. I still believe that. But they need to be used more efficiently! Honestly, I never liked Schottenheimer but I want to see him succeed in the worst way so that we can have consistency and focus on the legitimate concerns of this team. Unfortunately, the way I see it, Schotty could easily adjust to being a part of the solution, but could also easily fall back into his more...known...category. I'm hoping for the former. Like. Praying.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The curious case of Sam Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    But I think the longer I'm seeing him, the more I'm reevaluating exactly what his upside is in this league compared to what many people perceived it to be when he was a prospect.
    Who has had the worst impact on Bradford?

Shurmur? McDaniels? Spags? Schotty? Fisher? Cignetti?

I say it's.........Troy Aikman! (Actually it's Gil Brandt, but saying "Troy Aikman!" is more eye-catching.)

Before the draft, Gil Brandt made the statement that Bradford's private workout was the best pre-draft workout he'd seen since Troy Aikman. That statement got circulated, and I think many of us based our expectations on that. I even remember a thread tracking Bradford's rookie campaign compared to Aikman's rookie season.

Maybe expectations were just a little too elevated.
    MauiRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

I say it's.........Troy Aikman! (Actually it's Gil Brandt, but saying "Troy Aikman!" is more eye-catching.)

Before the draft, Gil Brandt made the statement that Bradford's private workout was the best pre-draft workout he'd seen since Troy Aikman. That statement got circulated, and I think many of us based our expectations on that. I even remember a thread tracking Bradford's rookie campaign compared to Aikman's rookie season.

That's true... particularly because Sam is likely compared to Aikman's entire career.

In his first three seasons, Aikman had a passer rating below 70 and a record of 14-24 as a starter.
    MauiRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I liked the Troy Aikman comparison and still do. Both franchises where in rebuilding mold with young QBs and both made two of the biggest trades for draft picks in the history of the NFL. Dallas added HOFers with their picks and built a great team around a very good QB. The Rams have yet to spend all of the picks and we will need to wait and see how they turn out. Dallas did have Michael Irvin in place the year before Troy Aikman was drafted.

Troy and Sam still seem to me to be very similar.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    MauiRam likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In his first three seasons, Aikman had a passer rating below 70 and a record of 14-24 as a starter.
    This is the kind of example that shows why I'm not in a panic over Bradford and still have confidence in him. You could argue Bradford is ahead of the curve Aikman followed going into his 4th season, especially seeing Sam doesn't have the likes of Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei and Mark Stepnoski. All either HOFers or multi-year pro bowlers.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

This is the kind of example that shows why I'm not in a panic over Bradford and still have confidence in him. You could argue Bradford is ahead of the curve Aikman followed going into his 4th season, especially seeing Sam doesn't have the likes of Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei and Mark Stepnoski. All either HOFers or multi-year pro bowlers.
    Where do we ultimately put the blame for this team then? I would say the blame should be divided out equally. Yes our team does not have stars but will our young players develop into stars?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Where do we ultimately put the blame for this team then? I would say the blame should be divided out equally. Yes our team does not have stars but will our young players develop into stars?
    I'm not quite sure what your point is. I made the point that I'm not too worried about Bradford because there are many examples of great QB's who took 3-4 years to hit their stride, and you're referencing blame.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I'm not sure we are at the failure point yet. Since the new regime came in and made the RG3 trade and started to rebuild.

I'm just not sure we are at the blame stage yet.

The trade Dallas used to rebuild was in 1989. That year they went 1-15. The following year they went 7-9. Three years after the trade they went 11-5 Lost Divisional Playoffs. In the forth year they went 13-3 and won the SB... and won it the nest year.

Rams went 7-1-8 the year we made the RG3 trade. Second year we are 2-3 so far.
    RealRam likes this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm not sure we are at the failure point yet. Since the new regime came in and made the RG3 trade and started to rebuild.

I'm just not sure we are at the blame stage yet.

The trade Dallas used to rebuild was in 1989. That year they went 1-15. The following year they went 7-9. Three years after the trade they went 11-5 Lost Divisional Playoffs. In the forth year they went 13-3 and won the SB... and won it the nest year.

Rams went 7-1-8 the year we made the RG3 trade. Second year we are 2-3 so far.
    Whatever happened to the 3 year plan? Don't we have another draft and another season to play before we start assigning blame? The bitter taste of losing certainly contributes to knee jerk reactions from fans of probably every team in the league. On the one hand we knew we had to rebuild when Spags was canned and the new regime was established. On the other hand we want wins now! Every single game we want to win. Well guess what, as Fish quietly reminds everyone occasionally, the Rams are following a plan - his, Snead's
    and Demoff's.

It's not easy being patient. I for one, am extremely impatient. That said, I agree with you Rambos - it is too soon to begin the blame stage. However, if we get our butts handed to us in Houston, there is absolutely no way patience will prevail, and I'll likely be apologizing to my wife yet again. At this moment though, I'm thinking positive and hoping for a win!
    Rambos likes this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

Whatever happened to the 3 year plan? Don't we have another draft and another season to play before we start assigning blame? The bitter taste of losing certainly contributes to knee jerk reactions from fans of probably every team in the league. On the one hand we knew we had to rebuild when Spags was canned and the new regime was established. On the other hand we want wins now! Every single game we want to win. Well guess what, as Fish quietly reminds everyone occasionally, the Rams are following a plan - his, Snead's
    and Demoff's.

It's not easy being patient. I for one, am extremely impatient. That said, I agree with you Rambos - it is too soon to begin the blame stage. However, if we get our butts handed to us in Houston, there is absolutely no way patience will prevail, and I'll likely be apologizing to my wife yet again. At this moment though, I'm thinking positive and hoping for a win!
    You are 100% right guys about I should not be jumping to point blame on anyone. I guess I am just tired of losing and tired of waiting for a winning season... Can you blame me!!!

svh01 is offline Registered User

[QcountereHUbison;472944]Of that list of 12 playoff teams, there are 4 that have a QB who is clearly better than Bradford. That's 8 that don't.

As I said, teams win and lose.[/QUOTE]

I counted 9 that are better.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    My intention is not to deflict or dismiss. My point is that it's part of the game and can not be avoided. The QB has to look at the wide out at some point before throwing the ball. So how much time is appropriate? Is that time frame measurable and applied to all plays? For example, if the wide out is on the sideline and single covered should Bradford look him off and only look his way the moment prior to his release? The block passes are a concern. My question to you Nick has this been an ongoing issue for Bradford or just this season. Since your a stat guy I figure you can let us know.

It just seems the simple solution is to blame Bradford and when stats are negative they apply to him but when positive it's despite him.
    Here's what I found.

According to Pro Football Focus, Bradford has the most batted passes this season of quarterbacks who have taken 50% of their team's dropbacks. He also led the NFL in this category as a rookie in 2010. He was 11th in 2011, and 13th last year.

So, I think it's fair to say this is an issue for Sam. We'll see how he finishes the season, but so far he's not off to a good start in this respect.

Brandt certainly didn't help Bradford with that comparison in the context of expectations, but it wasn't just that comparison alone. It's not as if Bradford was an average or good prospect that skyrocketed because of one guy's evaluation. Bradford had very few glaring negatives coming out as a prospect, and plenty of translatable skills.

I don't think the problem was Brandt. I think the problem is that, when your team spends a first overall pick on a passer, fans think they're going to get someone closer to Peyton Manning than Alex Smith. However, as Harbaugh and now the Chiefs are proving, you can find success with Alex Smith; it just takes a little more effort and surrounding talent.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Jonathan Webb

Bradford Off to Career-Best Start

Sam Bradford isn’t typically one to draw attention to himself.

Since entering the league as the top overall pick in the 2010 draft, Bradford has had no shortage of changes around him, whether in coaching or the offensive personnel around him. Through the various stages of transition, Bradford has handled each twist and turn of his career over the past four years with a certain degree of aplomb and deference of credit to those around him.

So it shouldn’t take anybody by surprise that his start to the 2013 season—the best of his career by a multitude of measures—comes a nod to other members of the Rams’ offense.

“Obviously, the guys around me, those guys are playing really well up front, giving me time to make the decisions that I need to get the ball to the open receiver,” Bradford said.

Bradford has established career-bests in passing yardage (1,315), touchdown passes (10), completion percentage (58.3) and quarterback rating (85.7) through the first five games of a season.

While the season has more than two-thirds of its schedule yet to play out, at his current pace, Bradford would finish the year with 32 touchdown passes, which would be the most by a Rams quarterback since Kurt Warner threw for 36 during the 2001 season.

In his fourth year, Bradford has also done his best work in terms of protecting the football, with just three interceptions in 216 pass attempts. His career interception percentage of 2.16 is the lowest in team history. That number becomes more significant when taking into account the attention directed his way while the Rams’ running game scuffled through the first four games of the year.

“He’s making good decisions,” Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher said following last week’s 34-20 win over Jacksonville, in which Bradford passed for 222 yards and three touchdowns without committing a turnover. “I thought he made some good decisions with his legs. A couple of throws—the one to (TE) Lance (Kendricks) on the bootleg to his left, throwing across his body with a guy in his face, an outstanding throw. And, same thing to find Tavon in the hole to keep that drive alive was another outstanding throw. Then, the touchdown pass to ‘AP’ (WR Austin Pettis) was a great throw. I thought he picked it up. He can still do much better just like all of us.”

Bradford’s progress this year can be traced in part to a second consecutive season working under offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. A year ago, Schottenheimer became Bradford’s third different coordinator in three seasons. Having a second year to prosper under the Schottenheimer scheme has paid early dividends for the Rams’ signal-caller.

”Being in the same offense for a second year, I think that helps,” Bradford said. “Knowing that, going into the week on a day like today when the game plan gets put in, I’ve seen all the plays, I’ve repped all the plays that we’re running as opposed to last year, when at times a good majority of what we were putting in was new.”

In addition to an improved familiarity with the offensive system, Bradford has taken to his role as the unquestioned leader of the team’s offense. That role was often shared over the past three years with RB Steven Jackson, now a member of the Atlanta Falcons.

While his first five games in 2013 have been statistically the best of his young career, Schottenheimer believes the best from Bradford and the Rams’ offense as a whole has yet to be seen.

“(He’s) started really, really well,” Schottenheimer said prior to last week’s game against Jacksonville. “I think he can play better. I think he’ll tell you that, but again the best way to get him to play better is to have balance. There’s certainly some bad breaks that Sam’s had, but he’s never wavered in his work ethic. Again, if we can find our balance, and again have the ability to run it when people know we’re going to run it and throw it when people know we’re going to throw it. That’s when I think we’ll hit that level of offense that we expect that we can be.”

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rambos, that article by J. Webb you just now posted is an eye opener to say the least. Or, as Mike Mayock says, "Wow". Nice to have as a counterbalance to this hefty thread regarding our most precious Rams commodity, our multi-million expectation QB project.

I think he can play better. -- B. Schottenheimer
    I for one sure hope Sammy will play better as he takes advantage of every element of support at his disposal, any improvement in the guidance from coaching, any update in the effectiveness of his OL, any enhancement in the skills of his receivers and in the productivity of his RBs.

T H E N, at the end of this season, we shall see one Ram reality show! ...It better be positive, rewarding.

Last edited by RealRam; -10-09-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Quote, photo

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Troy and Sam still seem to me to be very similar.
    Except one has 3 Superbowl rings and a hall of fame career. The other well......we'll see.