RamWraith is offline Registered User

Curtis doesn't disagree with Bulgers' comments

BY JOHN D. HOMAN, THE SOUTHERN

MARION - For the last couple of years, St. Louis Rams wide receiver Kevin Curtis could lay unofficial claim to the title of fastest man on the team. But he says that title probably now rests with rookie defensive back Tye Hill.

"He probably has a step on me," said Curtis who was in Marion Tuesday afternoon participating in an autograph session for Rams' fans at Alltel Wireless. After hearing that Hill had good naturedly said on a St. Louis radio station earlier in the day that he would have water waiting on Curtis to drink at the finish line if the two should ever race, Curtis said he might have to rethink his comments.

The 28-year-old Utah native is a four-year pro with the Rams, breaking out with a 60-catch, 800-yard season with six touchdowns last year. This year he has had fewer balls thrown his way, recording 33 catches and four touchdowns in 12 games.

"I'd like for my number to be called every play because I'm confident in my abilities," Curtis said. "But I can truly say I'm a team guy. Whatever the coach asks me to do, I will do."

Curtis said he had no problem with quarterback Marc Bulger calling out the offense, but not specific players, after Sunday's home loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

Bulger basically said there were some players who didn't care about the team, were repeating mistakes and just going through the motions.

"I don't doubt Marc's intentions at all," Curtis said. "He's our guy, our quarterback, a leader on this team. He has the right to say what he did. And he's been playing hurt. Marc was probably just frustrated with the way things have been going. He's a competitor and wants to win very badly."

Curtis said he hopes Bulger's comments will cause some players to look in the mirror and ask themselves if they are putting forth their best effort.

"I'd like to think we're a better team than 5-7," Curtis said. "This is not where we wanted to be. All we can do now is try to get some momentum back by beating Chicago next Monday night."

Curtis said he has learned much about the intricacies of wide receiver, playing behind two of the best in the business in Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

"I think I'm a better player now than when I first came into the league, but I still have room for improvement," he said.

Asked his favorite moment to date as a pro, Curtis said it would be playing in the playoffs.

"That's what it's all about. Playing in the Super Bowl would be the ultimate goal. I want to play in the big game someday," he said. "When I first came here, there were times I felt a little overwhelmed, but now I know I belong and can make a difference. I'm lucky to be living out my dream."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Curtis doesn't disagree with Bulgers' comments

Kevin Curtis sounds like a real class act. Glad to have him on our side.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I like Curtis a lot and have been disappointed he hasn't been utilised more in the passing game.. His speed can be a difference maker and can really stretch a field... He had a big impact last year.. Can't see him staying around next year unfortunately..

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Good player. Sensible too.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    Can't see him staying around next year unfortunately..
    I sure hope you're wrong. With all the money we'll be spending on defensive upgrades, I hope we save enough to keep Curtis around.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I sure hope you're wrong. With all the money we'll be spending on defensive upgrades, I hope we save enough to keep Curtis around.
    Even if we had the money, would he want to come back? The locker room contains some players who don't care about winning, and I doubt all of them are going to be addressed this offseason. Furthermore Bruce is still playing well and it's unlikely that Curtis replaces Isaac next year. I don't think I'd really blame Kevin if he chose to go to another team where he could start and compete for a championship.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Curtis is 28. This contract is his best shot at a big-time contract. Any contract after this one will put him in his early 30's, so he's gonna most likely look to cash in now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Curtis is 28. This contract is his best shot at a big-time contract. Any contract after this one will put him in his early 30's, so he's gonna most likely look to cash in now.
    SHOW ME THE $ MONEY $

RealRam is online now Registered User

Marc was probably just frustrated with the way things have been going. He's a competitor and wants to win very badly... -- K. Curtis
    And that, BTW, is probably the crux of the whole ordeal w/the recent MB comment.

LARAM0, totally agree with your assessment of KC. I too am glad he's a Ram WR.

Rambi Guest

Kevin Curtis is so cute. I luved the blond hair from last year. He is FAST too.

I hope he stays with the Rams.