Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

curtis vs bennett, straight up

Curtis got basically the same money as bennett. Who would you rather have straight up? Personally, as much as i like curtis, and i really like him a lot, i think bennett has the better chance of retaining solid value throughout the term of his contract. Curtis has more big play capability for sure, but he isnt going to get faster as he gets older and time will tell if he will be durable catching 70 balls or more per year. Both are good players, i like us getting the bigger stronger guy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: curtis vs bennett, straight up

I'm a big fan of Curtis as well, but I'd take Bennett over him in this offense. Drew Bennett has proven himself as a starter in the NFL, while we've only seen glimpses of Curtis in that role. Drew isn't exactly spectacular, but he's a solid bet, and his size is something the Rams haven't seen at WR since before the Martz era. The Rams have got enough speed at WR anyway, so I'll take Bennett's size and solid numbers over Curtis's speed and inexperience, especially with our recent red zone woes. It definitely adds another dimension to this offense.

:l

-jake-

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Got to take Bennett. But when considering this, one has to take in account the system. I would say Curtis in Matz's system and Bennett in Linehan's.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

As a #3/slot WR, Bennett. As an outside #2 WR, they're about equal.

Curtis received a bit more money, but, at the time the Rams made their decision, it seemed the disparity would be even greater.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Dang... both are very good players. I probably would have taken Curtis, because he does know our system, and he's got some great speed on him. But Curtis does have the talent to be a staring WR, so it is good for him to get that shot in Philly.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I would take Curtis, it is close but I have more confidence in him. As I see it Curtis is a better football player, and I'm talking mentally, in terms of skills not physical tools - route running, getting open, having chemistry with the QB and knowing what he's going to do - Curtis is very good at all those things IMO. As for the physical tools Curtis has a slight edge as well, in that I prefer blazing speed to height, both can be effective however depending on the situation, but I'd take the speed. Curtis also has more deceptive moves and more potential for YAC. I do think Bennett will be successful in our offense (probably more so than Curtis in Philly due to our extremely strong supporting cast) and as long as we didn't sign Curtis I think it was a good signing to get Bennett. But for approximately equal money I think we should have kept Curtis and I can't help but think the fact that Curtis was a "Martz guy" had something to do with us not really trying to sign him.

JRoc is offline Registered User

Curtis is going to lose some of his speed over the next few years, plus he's more liable to get hurt than Bennett. I like having a big target like Bennett who can make tough catches underneath while Ike and Torry stretch the field.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I don't know which one I would pick, but props to KC for a good run with the Rams. I appreciate all he did, and I wish him well as an Eagle. I also think the Eagles deserve a good guy like him after enduring TO...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good post, MoonJoe. And yet another tough question, GC! To choose between KC/DB.

It's almost like the difference between saying "six of one" and "half-a-dozen of the other". However, I too believe Curtis might have a slight edge by virtue of his speed -- even at 28. To me he seems to be a more nifty WR and, especially, a play maker. Again, even if only slightly moreso.

Best wishes to our KC! He did well as a Ram. As Moon just said, 'I appreciate all he did'.

I also hope Bennett will thrive and succeed in his endeavors as part of our Rams offense for 2007 and beyond. I haven't seen him play much at all so this wish is based only on the little that I've read about the tall man and the recent ESPN interview. He sounds like a fine professional, a good sport.

Thanks again, Kevin Curtis!
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-16-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Format

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I like Curtis, but Bennett just gives us that something different on offense. Tams found it hard enough to defend against our passing game when it was basically just speed and good route running. But now add height into that mix with Bennett and the offense can only improve.

majorram is offline Registered User

I too liked Curtis, his speed was just out of this world but Bennetts height to me is the key factor, at 6-5, his height will be used in the red zone and in the slot, so what have we traded, height rather than speed, yep I will take that in Linehans system

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Got to take Bennett. But when considering this, one has to take in account the system. I would say Curtis in Matz's system and Bennett in Linehan's.
    Thats a good point Wraith,most definitely Curtis was a Martz guy.He was suited to Martz's quick strike stretch the field type of offense,with his dynamic speed.Linehan's offense has far more importance on the checkdown receiver and throwing the ball in the short and intermediate range rather than the home run.So I would agree that Curtis would be our best bet if we still had Martz but now Linehan is running his system Bennett is a good fit and has that missing factor that we have missed and thats size.KC gave us good service and I wish him all the best in Philly unless he is facing the Rams,and I look forward to Bennett being very productive and useful with us..:l

MemphisRam is offline Registered User

Bigger is always better.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I feel that later on in their careers that Bennett will be the better player. As a bit part Ricky Proehl type player he would be a huge advantage because of his size.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, my stance is only echoing my astute colleagues above, but the comparison boils down to two things in my mind:

1. Martz' offense - Curtis
    Linehan's offense - Bennett

2. Curtis is 1 month older, 2 steps faster, and 6 inches shorter. Over this season and in the future, Curtis will NOT get any faster, and Bennett will NOT get any shorter.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast