Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamTime Guest

Cutting through the hype and anger. The Rams played well

After mulling over the situation I have come to realize something. We did not play that bad of a game today. NOW JUST STAY SEATED AND HEAR ME OUT!

Our longest gain of the day was a 75 yard TD to Holt. The panthers longest gain of the day was a pass for 30 yards while their longest run of the day was 16 yards. This is quite an accomplishment considering we only had the ball for 24:24 while Carolina had the ball for 35:36. We minded our manners fairly well as we only had 5 penalties for 44 yards.

Sure Timmermans wrestling move cost us a TD however without that holding it is likely that Tony Banks err Chris Chandler holds the ball to long giving up another sack.. Conversely the Panthers had 7 penalties for 55 yards. Even though the announcers were being apologists for Chandler I thought he held the ball to long on several occasions.

Turning back to the sermon preached by the announcers they decided in their divine gridiron wisdom that only 2 of those 6 interceptions were Chandlers fault. If you ask me (which I know you won’t so I have to ask myself ) when a QB throws 6 picks he is to blame for all interceptions after the first two. Obviously tweedle dee and his side kick have not seen a Rams game when Williams is attending to the right tackle chores. There wasn’t any more pressure on Chandler then there has been on Bulger and in fact I would say there was less.

Lost in the agony of defeat has been the defensive effort today. Yes the Rams defense played damn well. Remember 6 interceptions could yield 42 points however the final score was 20-7. If Bulger started this game we would have won it. If Martz doesn’t pull well. a Martz and kick two field goals then I think we still could have won it despite the 6 picks. Blame the old guys for this defeat not the youngsters. Martz and Chandler respectively.

BTW in case you did not realize how important Bulger is to this team I trust that you do now.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Cutting through the hype and anger. The Rams played well

I agree RamTime. They played a good game, except for the two old guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

atcchris is offline Registered User

I don't get it. We're 6-7. Sure, there is still a sliver of hope for a playoff berth.. but the best we can hope for is 8-8 this year.

And that's supposed to make us feel good?

We're NOT playing "well". Even in our wins, we're not showing consistency. We have a WEAK schedule this year.. and still just 8-8.. and a real possibility of 6-10.

Yes, I certainly feel like EEYOR (sp). But there is no ray of hope here. It's time to rebuild around guys like Jackson, Tinoisamoa, et al.

We SHOULD have been able to reload without tearing it all down and rebuilding.. but that window has passed.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

How about that run by Isaac Bruce after the catch though. That was impressive. I think this team still has hope of making the playoffs once ole 1-0 gets back.

RamTime Guest

I don't get it. We're 6-7. Sure, there is still a sliver of hope for a playoff berth. But the best we can hope for is 8-8 this year.

And that's supposed to make us feel good?
    Where in that post does it say anything about feeling good about our record? The only thing remotely close is the statement "Were in the middle of a playoff race. So sorry but this happens to be fact. What you should feel good about is the fact that were not dead at 6-7

We're NOT playing "well". Even in our wins, we're not showing consistency. We have a WEAK schedule this year. And still just 8-8. And a real possibility of 6-10. .
    Really? Were not playing well? I didn't notice! Two things here. #1 we are playing just like we did last year except for the fact that we are not creating turnovers. Furthermore (and this may come as a shocker to you) but our schedule is not easy. Last year our cup cake schedule along with teams like the Ravens laying down for us vaulted us to a truth hiding 12-4 record.

Yes, I certainly feel like EEYOR (sp). But there is no ray of hope here. It's time to rebuild around guys like Jackson, Tinoisamoa, et al. .
    Not sure how one rebuilds around Jackson when we did not attempt to play around a healthy Faulk. I think to go that route we will need a new head coach. Hmm?

We SHOULD have been able to reload without tearing it all down and rebuilding. But that window has passed.
    Yer kidding right? Where have you been since 2000 when some of us pessimistic, separatist, disloyal, gloomy fans pulled the fire alarm regarding WASTE OF TALENT? Tell me truthfully has this downward trend come as a shock to you? Let me grease the landing a little for you. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Meanwhile enjoy the gift bestowed upon the Rams in that were in a playoff race which will most likely be the final playoff race for a few years. Do not be flabbergasted when the Rams go 5 - 10 in 2005. I guess maybe then people will begin to realize just how criminally wrong the waste of talent since 2000 has been. But perhaps not….

thoey is offline Registered User

Where have you been since 2000 when some of us pessimistic, separatist, disloyal, gloomy fans pulled the fire alarm regarding WASTE OF TALENT? Tell me truthfully has this downward trend come as a shock to you? Let me grease the landing a little for you. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Meanwhile enjoy the gift bestowed upon the Rams in that were in a playoff race which will most likely be the final playoff race for a few years. Do not be flabbergasted when the Rams go 5 - 10 in 2005. I guess maybe then people will begin to realize just how criminally wrong the waste of talent since 2000 has been. But perhaps not….
    I agree... Just wonder what it will be like around here when that happens...
    This space for rent...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When I think waste of talent, I think...

Dan Fouts never making a Super Bowl.
    Dan Marino only making one.
    The 1985 Bears never getting close again.
    The Eagles losing the NFC Championship 3 times in a row.
    Those great late-70s Baltimore Colt teams that never could make it.

The post-2000 Rams? Not even on the list.

Heck, I'd put the Ram teams of the mid-70s, who had an incredible defense and offensive line, but could never get past the Vikings and Cowboys, on the list before the post-2000 Rams.

RAMTIME

I feel the same as I felt last year. We got into the playoffs with smoke and mirrors. A Defense that gave us a huge plus in takeaway, and Wilkins, who had the most-used leg in football. We didn't deserve to be in the playoffs last year, and we don't deserve to be in the playoffs this year. I guess it's a testament to how pitiful the NFC has become.

Our schedule includes 2 games each against Seattle, Arizona and San Francisco. Also, sad sack New Orleans and Miami, and until recently, Buffalo and Carolina could also have been included (carolina still should.. they aren't as impressive as we made them look).

YES!!! WE NEED A NEW HEAD COACH!!!

Where was I? I was here for a brief period just before this new site was created. I was one of the "pessimistic, separatist, disloyal, gloomy fans" pulling the fire alarm, too, and the response from the uber-loyalists here is mainly why I shunned the place for so long.

AvengerRam

The greatest show on turf doesn't even make your list of one-man teams and other disappointments? We had a lineup superior to that of the Cowboys in the 90s. Bruce/Holt > Irvin Faulk > Emmit Smith Warner > Aikman.

Why do they have all those rings and we have 1?

Oh yeah.. I forgot. It's stupid to make it all about Championships. Right. Forgot.

The early 90s Cowboy team had a better O line and Defense than the 1999-2001 Ram team. Plus, salary cap was not as big a factor then.

Look, nobody would have liked to have seen the Rams win multiple titles in the GSOT Era more than I, but to act like it was some sort of birthright that the Rams gave up because of Martz is silly. Give a little credit to the fine Baltimore, Tampa and yes, even New England teams that have won Super Bowls since then.

Another "waste" I can't believe I left off the list - how about the Jim Kelly Buffalo teams that went 0-4 in the Super Bowl?

I guess it's ok if you don't EXACTLY use my ID, eh?

LOL

Yes, the dynamic was different in the 90s, but it doesn't make the player comparisons different. The cap didn't cause us to break up and waste our talent. Hubris from Martz did. Odysseus' pride drove us aground.

Regarding the Jim Kelly Buffalo team... exactly the legacy we're suffering under... our only redeeming value is that the player you have kicked to the curb and banned us from talking about as a RAM was the one who kept us from being thought of as nothing but first loser for all those years. On the other hand... at least Buffalo MADE IT to the Super Bowl all those years. We could only do it twice, despite our obvious talent advantage.

Actually, Odysseus is not really known for having a problem with hubris. Rather, it is Achilles, who sat out a portion of the Trojan War while sulking due to the slight of Agammemnon, that is commonly attributed with this trait.

LOL

Actually, Odysseus is not really known for having a problem with hubris. Rather, it is Achilles, who sat out a portion of the Trojan War while sulking due to the slight of Agammemnon, that is commonly attributed with this trait.
    You REALLY like to argue, don'tcha?

One of many online papers of the subject

Odysseus's pride led him to make blind, rash decisions. Hubris, a Greek word, is the best way to describe Odysseus's pride. Hubris is a unique type of pride that is almost arrogance. Odysseus demonstrates this when he is leaving the island of the Cyclopes. `Cyclopes, if ever mortal man inquire how you were put to shame and blinded, tell him Odysseus, raider of cities, took your eye: Laertes' son, whose home's on Ithaca!' If Odysseus would have kept his mouth shut he may have escaped Poseidon, and all of men wouldn't have been killed. It seems as if Odysseus must brag after doing anything notable. Pride is one of the main points that Homer is trying to teach through this epic poem. Odysseus pride led to his men's downfall, and also his. This epic poem has great examples of people having pride, and then being punished.
    Odysseus' pride led to his men's downfall, and also his. Can I say this often enough?

Please.

LOL

Instead of reading some internet analysis, I suggest you actually read the book (I have several times - its among my favorites).

While Odysseus does display pride at times, in the end, it is not his downfall because - well, because he "wins" in the end. Achilles, on the other hand, is a tragic hero who never makes it home.

Now, if you really want a good hubris story, read about Ajax (aka Aias) and his attempt to secure the honor of acquiring the armor of Achilles after his death.

RamTime Guest

Huh?

Odysseus's pride led him to make blind, rash decisions. Hubris, a Greek word, is the best way to describe Odysseus's pride. Hubris is a unique type of pride that is almost arrogance. Odysseus demonstrates this when he is leaving the island of the Cyclopes. `Cyclopes, if ever mortal man inquire how you were put to shame and blinded, tell him Odysseus, raider of cities, took your eye: Laertes' son, whose home's on Ithaca!' If Odysseus would have kept his mouth shut he may have escaped Poseidon, and all of men wouldn't have been killed. It seems as if Odysseus must brag after doing anything notable. Pride is one of the main points that Homer is trying to teach through this epic poem. Odysseus pride led to his men's downfall, and also his. This epic poem has great examples of people having pride, and then being punished.
    Huh?

The greatest show on turf doesn't even make your list of one-man teams and other disappointments?
    OK This I can respond to.
    YOUOUTAYOURFRICKENMIND?

Sorry Avenger with all due respect I must disagree. Someplace inside I am sure you disagree with yourself as well.

Mike Martz is handed the best offense in league history and the number 4 defense from the1999 superbowl champion rams. Mike Martz was handed the team projected to win the Superbowl by Las Vegas odds makers. Mike Mart was handed 3 first round draft picks in a single draft. Mike Martz was handed all of this along with an unselfish Quarterback that led the way signing a cap friendly deal which others followed so he could keep the weapons he had at his disposal.

In 2000 the Rams had what E S P N has concluded to be the greatest offense in the history of the game. E S P N had this to say in their analysis. “The 2000 Saint Louis Rams were picked as the greatest offense in history because defenses knew what they were going to do. Defenses knew what was coming and they still could not stop the Rams.” Before you shun E S P N's opinion remember they are also the ones that picked the 85 Bears (you know the waste not returning to the superbowl?) as the Best defense in the history of the game.

Warner shared the stage with Trent Green due to injuries but in the 11 games he started, he helped the Rams set NFL records for passing yards and total yards.

Warner completed 235 of 346 passes for 3,429 yards with 21 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

Warner led the NFL with a 67.7 completion percentage and an average gain of 9.88 yards per play.

Kurt Warner set the NFL record for most passing yards after two games with 827. Then again after three games with 1,221 Breaking Drew Bledsoe's record of 1,166.

Warner continued to light it up throwing for 1,557 yards after just four games once again setting an NFL record. After six games Warner had set another NFL record with 2,260 passing yards.

On September 4th Opening night of Monday Night Football Warner completed 25 of 35 passes and a new career high 441 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions versus Denver. Warner's passing yards total was the third highest opening-game total in NFL history.

Warner then had his career high for completions and tied a Rams team record with 35 completions for 386 yards at Seattle on September 9th.

Kurt Warner became the first player in NFL history to record a perfect passer rating of 158.3 twice in his career.
    In game 5 versus San Diego on October 1st. Warner completed 24 of 30 passes for 390 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions and earned the NFC offensive player of the week honors.

The Game versus San Diego was the first time in team history and only the third time in NFL history an NFL team had a 300-yard passer, a 100-yard rusher and three 100-yard receivers in the same game. Kurt Warner with 390 yards passing, Justin Watson had 102 yards on the ground, Isaac Bruce had 167 yards receiving, Marshall Faulk caught Warner passes for 116 yards and Az-Zahir Hakim added another 104 yards receiving. The Rams teamed up for a combined 614 yards. This was the second highest in team history.

On October 15th Warner tied another NFL record with six consecutive 300-yard passing games in game 6 versus Atlanta. Completing 24 of 40 passes for 313 yards with three touchdowns.

The first time in NFL history an NFL team had a 300-yard passer and a 200-yard rusher in the same game. Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk respectively.
    Trent Green and Kurt Warner combined for over 5000 yards passing and 540 points.
    The Rams scored over 500 points 3 straight years no other team has done it twice in their history never mind back to back to back.
    Just how does one conclude that this era was not a waste? Are you kidding me?

I blame Martz for poorly coaching the 2001 Super Bowl and thereby failing to cap off what should have been a "Dream Season." The 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2004 campaigns have been beset by poor defense and injuries, as well as holes in the offensive line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast