• 3 Post By tomahawk247
  • 3 Post By Jd_UK

Thread: CVC Gives Green Light For Rams Game In London - For One Year

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

CVC Gives Green Light For Rams Game In London - For One Year

CVC gives green light for Rams game in London — for one year

BY MATTHEW HATHAWAY
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ST. LOUIS • The Rams secured the right to play a home game in London this year, but in exchange the team will pay seasonal workers at the Edward Jones Dome their hourly wages for the lost game and will allow the building to be used more often for conventions during the football season.

The St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission this afternoon approved an amendment to the Dome lease that allows the Rams to play a "home game" against the New England Patriots in October at London's Wembley Stadium. The team also wants to play in London the following two years, but the amendment does not address those years, so the proposed games in 2013 and 2014 will be subject to future negotiations.

As part of the deal, the Rams agreed to pay for all contract employees, such as ticket takers and ushers, their full hourly wages for the game. Also, the CVC will have the right to use the Dome two weekends each month during the football season. Right now, the CVC can only use the building one weekend per month during the season. CVC President Kathleen "Kitty" Ratcliffe said the ability to book more conventions will more than make up for the lost downtown spending from one football game.

The CVC will be able to book the Dome for two weekends per month from August through December in 2013, 2014 and 2015. After 2015, the CVC goes back to getting use of the Dome for one weekend per month, but on top of that, gets three extra weekends sometime during the season.

"I am delighted that we are able to find a mutually beneficial solution to the Rams' desire to play a regular season home game in London," Ratcllife said in a statement. "It was essential that the agreement provide economic benefit to the region."

Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president of football operations, said in a statement that "we are pleased that we were able to reach an agreement with the CVC."

"This agreement gives the CVC more powerful tools to help entice major events to St. Louis, which parallels our strategy of elevating St. Louis on a global stage," he added.

After the National Football League and the Rams announced the games, the CVC sent a letter to the team pointing out that its lease at the Dome mandated that all home games be played in the building. The announcement also drew some grumbles from fans who felt they were being cheated out of a home game in St. Louis.

The negotiations on the London games was handled separately from another issue facing the CVC and Rams: renovations to the Dome. The CVC earlier this month sent a proposal to the Rams for renovations meant to satisfy a requirement in the lease that the Dome be a "first tier" NFL stadium. The Rams have until March 1 to respond to the proposal.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Re: CVC Gives Green Light For Rams Game In London - For One Year

I'm there for this year.

If it turns out they come back for 2013 and 2014 then I'll be there for them as well. During the GSOT years in 2000 I went to Rams v 9'ers, and in 2001 the Monday night game v Buccs.

The total cost for me to get to both the games including flights, accommodation, tickets and beer money came to £3000. 3 years in London will cost me £300.

Win. . . Win.
    Rambunctious likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Playing in London (or any foreign city) is absolutely stupid and only serves Stan's ego and is not in the best interest of the fans of the Rams. It has nothing to do with "getting the Rams name out there' and is not in the best interest of the team. Ask the Bucs how well it worked out for them. Are they internationally known now? Does anyone outside Tampa really care about them after playing across the pond? Is their fanbase now stronger because of it?

The answer is NO. This is an ego thing and a money thing ONLY. It will do nothing to make the Rams organization better. SO why do it?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

As always I respect everybody's views but I love a good debate.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    is not in the best interest of the fans of the Rams.
    You may be right about the local Rams fans but how could it possibly hurt the fan base that does not reside close to St. Louis?

It has nothing to do with "getting the Rams name out there' and is not in the best interest of the team.
    Completely your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Ask the Bucs how well it worked out for them. Are they internationally known now? Does anyone outside Tampa really care about them after playing across the pond? Is their fanbase now stronger because of it?
    I don't know the answer to these questions but unless you work in their organization I honestly don't think you know the answer to these questions either.

I will ask you this... The Bucs have played over there twice now and "have shown interest" in going back again. If it does nothing why did they go back and why would they want to go back?

This is an ego thing and a money thing ONLY.
    I'm not sure how it is such an ego thing? The Rams won't be the first team to play over there... they are just following in the footsteps of several other teams. Apparently all of which are owned by egotistical, uncaring *******s. : )

It will do nothing to make the Rams organization better. SO why do it?
    Even if you are right about it being just a money thing... you don't think the Rams and Stan earning more money can help the organization at all?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I'm a Rams fan. I live in the UK. Playing in London definitely serves my interests as a Rams fan.
    Rammed, Rambunctious and sephjnr like this.

Jd_UK is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I'm a Rams fan. I live in the UK. Playing in London definitely serves my interests as a Rams fan.
    Same here, but maybe it's just the two of us...
    Rammed, Rambunctious and sephjnr like this.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jd_UK View Post
    Same here, but maybe it's just the two of us...
    Nah....I'm here to.

Maybe there should be a clan ram UK fan meet prior to the game.

BEER! BEER! BEER! BEER! BEER! BEER!

Sink a few in the memory of Big Red Man...

Woot!!

sephjnr is offline Registered User

I'm going to this and one game at the Dome the month before (ow, my wallet!). Don't know if I'll be doing '13 or '14, though. I'd also be for a meet-up.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I consider myself a passionate Rams fan and I'm from The Netherlands, I'll be there at the game next year and the two following if they come.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and RAMFANRAIDERHATER mine about your view is that's very shortsighted and bordering on elitist.

I for one am looking forward to it!