Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    majorram is offline Registered User

THE D.. do we have the cap money???

Guys do we have the cap money to really go to town on our D and retool????

steve:clanram:

"The breakfast Club"

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: THE D.. do we have the cap money???

We do.....sort of. We shouldn't resign DLew, Arch is a maybe...Pickett would be the one I would resign. Now, we may have to have Bruce restructure because he's due to earn 6.5 million next year. Also we have approx 7 million in dead money to Turley but Warner's dead money came off the books this year so yea, we'll have room. And I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut we'll go after some top notch defensive personnel for 2006.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

# 22 Nate Clements
    Position: CB
    Height: 6-0
    Weight: 209
    Born: 12/12/1979
    College: Ohio State
    NFL Experience: 5

2001 Buffalo Bills 16 63 53.0 10 1 3 48 16.0 48 1 10
    2002 Buffalo Bills 16 65 52.0 13 0 6 82 13.7 42 1 13
    2003 Buffalo Bills 16 62 51.0 11 0 3 54 18.0 54 1 4
    2004 Buffalo Bills 16 73 53.0 20 0.5 6 77 12.8 35 1 7
    2005 Buffalo Bills 12 69 53.0 16 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 11
    TOTAL 76 332 262.0 70 1.5 19 261 13.7 54 4 45

This is the guy I want to see in horns next year.
    If Jerry Gray is the next HC it is a good possibility that Clements could be here.

Other DB's I'd like to see;

Jerry Azumah- Chi
    Will Allen -NYG
    Dale Carter -Bal
    Chris Hope -Pit
    Will Demps- Bal
    Corey Chavous - Min
    Dexter Jackson -TB
    Lance Schulters - Mia

Any one of these guys would be an upgrade to the secondary.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

If you keep doing what you've always done
    You will get what you always got

It seems every year we go after the quick fix and try to find a free agent to help the defense.

Can someone please tell me in all of those years who besides A. Williams has made an impact.

I sure can tell you who did not...... Herring, Duncan, Fields, Dexter C., Chris C., and I'm sure I left a few out. This seems to be the wrong way to help your team unless you get lucky and find a proven veteran with outstanding leadership qualities who can still play...

Seattle has done the same thing except this year. They used the draft and cut some dead weight. HMMM maybe the Rams should try to cut some bait and look for talented young players through the draft and just maybe develop some of the talent they have now????

This could work if they would hire a DC who can develop a system with the talent they have on the defensive side.

Just my 2 cents........

Well crazy, here's the problem. When the Rams needed to reinvent the defense, the offense was up for raises. Warner got one in 2002, when we really needed defensive help. Pace was resigned this year, and Bruce was able to cash in on some much deserved money that had been restructured two or three times. Let's not forget the cash Torry Holt and Faulk had coming to them also.

To keep those players, we brought in the fans, we had to sacrifice the defense to middle or bottom tier players.

Just the way the salary cap works.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

TX, your right the D side has suffer due to cap issues.

Wistrom, Flecther, Dre Bly, and many more left due to free agency. Thats the penalty you pay for being sucessfull.

Fletcher and Bly really hurt this team but would you have been OK with Little, Pace, or Bruce leaving????

Bruce maybe, Little not sure, Pace no. Fletcher's departure was a Lovie Smith call as he thought Jamie Duncan could do a better job. Bly and Wistrom went where the money was so I can't say I blame them.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Really, if we only sign Natr Clements, I'll be happy. There's a lot of depth at the LB position in this draft with solid LB's such as A.J. Hawk, Chad Greenway, and DeMeco Ryans.

I believe the D-Line has played well enough at times. The trouble is that we took out someone who had been effective (Kennedy) and replaced him with someone who has done nothing to warrant even being on an NFL roster. (Lewis)
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Fletcher's departure was a Lovie Smith call as he thought Jamie Duncan could do a better job.
    Boy that would have been quite the scoop at the time. Funny you never heard about it until 4 years after the fact.

Do a better job? Or do almost as good of job for less than half the money?

The money never gets mentioned. It just gets spun that every other football mind with the Rams deferred to Lovie. If that is the case then they all are idiots and it is no wonder the roster is in such disarray.

Well, that came from HowardB on the RamPagers list so I tend to think some truth in it. I just don't understand the move at all, whether it was Martz, Zygmut, or the tooth fairy.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

One potential downer is Coakely -- if he's forced to retire the Rams are looking at another dead money hit ($14.5 million would be accelerated instead of being spread out over the 5-year contract). Of course, if he continues to play at such a poor level that may be considered dead money in any case..!

Yeah I read that in another thread.

Big scoop for HB to pass up at the time. All the complaints from fans about duncan, and no mention of it at his pay-per-view site at the time.

Maybe it was ethics that prevented the story from coming out at the time?

I can just imagine the uproar:

Lovie thinks a back-up LB from tampa is better than Fletch for less than half the money and the entire Rams braintrust gives him the go ahead.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AJD45
    One potential downer is Coakely -- if he's forced to retire the Rams are looking at another dead money hit ($14.5 million would be accelerated instead of being spread out over the 5-year contract). Of course, if he continues to play at such a poor level that may be considered dead money in any case..!
    Actually, it would just be his bonus money which wasn't all that much. 3 million over 5 years I think.

His leg is shattered.

Coakley is done.

Of course he was done before the Rams signed him, but marmie convinced the Rams braintrust that coakley could do a better job than polley for equal money.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

At the time Duncan may have been percieved as a better value than Flech, as opposed to "equal or better than Flech". Unfortunalty time showed he was not a good value.

Keep in mind free agency is an auction. And in an auction, particularly with unique items, the buyer usually overpays. The winner in an auction is the team that will pay the most for a player, which means 31 other teams thought the player’s value was less. In economic terms this is “The Winners Curse”.

The way to build a winning franchise is to accumulate a significant number of players whose talent is greater than their salary (i.e. Fletch when he was with the Rams), which means a significant focus on the draft, and finding unsigned talent. Unfortunately the Rams have done a very poor job in this area.

The Rams desperately need a personnel office to make personnel decisions. Empowering Charlie Armey would be a step in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast