Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The D was offensive

I'm sure there will be a lot of talk this week about the poor play of the Offensive Line against the Falcons. True enough, but my biggest concern was the play of the defense.

The defense lost this game when they allowed the Falcons to go on a long TD drive after the offense had fought back to a 17-17 tie. If the D comes up with a stop there, the hot offense goes back on the field against a tired Atlanta defense and probably takes the lead.

Instead, the Falcons march down the field and take a seven point lead. This allows the Atlanta defense to catch their breath and key on pressuring Bulger - who they know is going to pass most every play. The result - Bulger is hit on virtually every play from there on in, and the Falcons cruise to an easy victory.

Its now two weeks in a row with little pass rush and NO TURNOVERS forced by the defense. That is simply unacceptable. The team is not going to win a lot of games with those stats.

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: The D was offensive

Av I agree, we are going to have to sort this D out and fast, real fast, the rush D stunk the place up, no turnovers...the D will have a long season....

steve :ramlogo:

majorram is offline Registered User

You know what really worries me is the rush D, how will they improve this. 214 yards on the ground today... Hmmmmm sorry but this worries me!!!!

steve :ramlogo:

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Gotta agree, where is TX. He must be disappointed as hell. I know I gave Bulger a hard time during the game but the D was disturbing.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Yes the D was offensive this game. I can't argue that point at all.

But you can't tell me that the offensive was good. Look at the total running yards for the game. 30 yards.... that's horrible with Faulk and Jackson in the game.

The D slipped after they tied the game up, but let's not forget that Bulger handed the ball away in the endzone for a touchdown. You can't count that one on the D. The interception did not help either. And don't get me started about the penalties or Pace.

Both sides of the team played poorly. :upset:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: The D was offensive

There are two ways to look at it. One way is that Jim Mora Jr let Vick Loose on a weak secondary and took advantage of Vick's Skills. Even Aeneas Williams looked like he was chasing a bull in spain. The other is that Martz did not adjust to Vick's plays. He basically catered to his game plan.
    The whole team seemed disturbed by the running and passing game devised by Mora. It should have been no surprise to Martz that Mora knows the Rams.
    Today in Hot Atlanta the Falcons have arrived. Michael Vick looked like the second coming of one Steve Young. It looked like a familiar scheme employed back in the Bay Area. It looks to me that they have arrived. And we do not know where we are headed. Today was somewhat close but the same mistakes on offensive with turnovers and the lack of tackling and pressure by the defense was unacceptable. It was a game that could have been won with more planning.
    It will be interesting to see what Mike Martz has for the hated Saints.
    THE FIELD GOAL

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm here Wis....I turned over a new leaf this year by not allowing my emotions to dictate what I have to say. I wait a day to post on here, win or lose.

Hang the loss on the D. They couldn't stop Vick, Dunn, or Price. Geez, we had Price pinned so far back he was in Florida and he still slipped out. I don't know if the Rams D has forgot how to tackle or if overpursuit is killing us. The stat that is striking to me is no turnovers caused by our defense in the first two games. That is a killer.

I agree Tx, I thought our Defence played with NO EMOTION. NONE.

You could see the offence respond but there was squat from our D.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

They need a bona-fide leader at LB to be blowing up plays. Thomas did not play like I expect MLBs to play. He has had enough time to impose his will on a game ... I'd move Hawaii 5-0 in there and give him the reins.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The loss of London Fletcher is becoming so obviously painful that I will go out on a limb and say it's the worst loss to this franchise since they moved to STL.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    The loss of London Fletcher is becoming so obviously painful that I will go out on a limb and say it's the worst loss to this franchise since they moved to STL.
    That's not an overstatement at all. We haven't been the same since he left.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    This is a very fair point. One has to wonder, though, if Robert Thomas can be an adequate replacement that just needs more time to develop or if he really just isn't the guy for the job.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    This is a very fair point. One has to wonder, though, if Robert Thomas can be an adequate replacement that just needs more time to develop or if he really just isn't the guy for the job.
    Man I would hate to see yet another 1st rounder go down the drain.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Man I would hate to see yet another 1st rounder go down the drain.
    Agreed. Although isn't this his second season at this position as a pro, the third of three pro seasons, the first of which was spent on the outside? I dunno, maybe we should all stop expecting instant success and greatness, myself included. But then again, you draft guys expecting them to come in and contribute for your team. I'd be hesitant to say that Thomas's contributions have made him worth his value as a first rounder, although I think he's made improvements now that he's back at his MLB position. Hopefully he'll continue to improve.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I can handle a defense missing tackles, get no pressure on the QB, and getting no turnovers. But I can't handle a defense playing without emotion. Defensive players feed off emotion. Its what makes a defense tick.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast